Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 02:59 PM

304 posts, read 295,814 times

Advertisements

I've only lived here a few months but I'm already feeling so over the dust. This city is very very very dusty. It's not something I had expected. Is this a year round thing or only something to suffer through during the winter? Is the dust mostly from the area working overtime to remove the hills from the Hill Country?

I'm super allergic to cedar and that's already killing me slowly. I have a couple of years here and with the cedar and dust, I'm not sure I'll survive at all.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:05 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,502,455 times
It's been dusty?
Wait until the farmers in Mexico start the yearly burning of the crops...you can barely breathe during those few weeks.
Have to be tough to live in Texas..always been that way.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
It's been dusty?
Wait until the farmers in Mexico start the yearly burning of the crops...you can barely breathe during those few weeks.
Have to be tough to live in Texas..always been that way.
When I have to wash my car every other day and my black t shirt has a layer of white on it in the afternoons...yeah, it's dusty.

Really disappointing to hear that this is typical. I don't understand the allure of Texas and why there are people willingly moving here. I had an emergency bring me here. Trying to make the best of it, but this area is not a great one when it comes to health and well being.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:11 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Been living here as a kid and adult for over 20 years. Dust has never been an issue for me.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Been living here as a kid and adult for over 20 years. Dust has never been an issue for me.
Ok, but whether or not you've never experienced anything different or whether or not the intense dust is personally an issue for you, the main question is is the dust a year round issue?

Old 02-14-2018, 03:42 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
You said it is very dusty. I am just saying I don't think so, especially not year around. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Also, this statement you made doesn't make sense to me: "Is the dust mostly from the area working overtime to remove the hills from the Hill Country?" What hills are you referring to?

Old 02-14-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
You said it is very dusty. I am just saying I don't think so, especially not year around. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Also, this statement you made doesn't make sense to me: "Is the dust mostly from the area working overtime to remove the hills from the Hill Country?" What hills are you referring to?
So the dust is a winter thing? Is that what you're saying? I won't be needing to wash my car every other day in the summer? There won't be a fine white layer of dust on everything all year round?

As for the hill country...it's an area of Texas. I'm not sure how to explain it. Seems self explanatory. The foothills of the Hill Country come right up to San Antonio. This entire area has issues with blowing out entire hills. There's a park called Fiesta Texas where you can see clear evidence of it. Driving north of the city you'll see many hills being removed. I've been here just a few short months and already I've witnessed an entire hill removal up Highway 281 N. There are so many quarries around here. I've lived in tons of places and it's very unique behavior here. The dust issue is also unique outside of desert environments. I was wondering if it was the hill removal stuff they do.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:41 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,686 times
Sorry, if you perceive it dusty now, it'll be dusty year round.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:33 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Raisins,
There ain't no dust! Even if you live near a limestone quarry there should not be enough dust from
that to coat your car. That seems like industrial pollution.
Lime dust I have never noticed. Lime dust is white. The EPA does not allow the quarries to
emit too much dust, they must wet the limestone as it is entering the crusher to keep the dust down as much as possible during operations. Are you located near a quarry?
The quarries should not be tracking any dirt onto roadways either off tractor trailer rigs, it is also against the law. What in the heck you are writing about, perhaps it is Cedar or Live Oak pollen?
I suppose country roads made of the gravel might also be raising dust near you if you are near the edge of the city.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:56 PM

814 posts, read 676,702 times
It's called quarry dust. EPA or not.

However, the big wind a couple weeks ago was a special case of dust - from a construction site near my house. Looked like a foggy day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio