Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 04:37 AM

282 posts, read 341,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest1492 View Post
AquaMasters put in a water softener for me in 2010, and they replaced the resin this year. Very happy with their pricing and service. I am sure TexasRedneck is great as well!
That’s who I used this earlier year and we’ve been very pleased with the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 11:28 AM

814 posts, read 675,479 times
Seriously, how hard could a resin change-out be ? OK, I'm sounding like Jeremy on that old BBC car show.

I know I'd try it myself (with a helper) before calling a pro.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:20 PM

1,514 posts, read 890,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
With all due respect, you haven't heard from them all....
Thanks for reaching out.

I am sure you know that there are many many local companies out there that are selling and or installing water softeners. From what I have gathered from others, this list seems to be growing. I only researched companies that a decent amount of reviews of Yelp, Angies list, Google or other sources. I did not see your company on any of these review websites but its possible I overlooked it as I was going cross eyed from all the data.

I reached out to you in PM just now to see a bit of what you have to offer.

Right now I'm leaning towards a water softener and a "whole house" carbon filtration system to prolong the life of the softener and keep from ingesting chlorine, keep my clothes less damaged and other benefits of it.

Based on reviews, price and all the factors - Im leaning towards these companies (not in this order):

1. Alamo Water Softeners
2. Lone Star Water Services
3. Elite water of Texas

The Elite water of Texas whole house system price ($3,900) is insane, way outside my budget but the fact that it has a lifetime warranty on everything, including all resin changes makes it appealing to a degree.

Lone Star has their install about $1,000 (or whole house at about $1,850) and they are rated great, have a cheap resin change charge and have a great warranty. This is about my budget. Cheaper for the whole house would be even better. Appliance purchases for this new house and all the extra crap that goes with it is gonna kill me. I now plan to put other non essential appliances (like washer and dryer) on hold and just stick with water softener, refrigerator, etc.

For all companies, I dont mind having a bit bigger tank then bare minimum I need so that the system regens less often, last longer and does not have to work as hard. If Lone Star can get that job done for that price or cheaper, they may be my go to. But again, that lifetime warranty from Elite Water looks tasty and Alamo water Softeners is definitely running neck and neck in my consideration.

Choices choices. Ahh the Paradox of choice. It does not help that it seems that everyone and their mom does this. It will work out though. Someone will offer me a deal I can not turn away from with a great warranty. Competition is good for the customer. So while all this all is a bit stressful, it will turn out good.

Last edited by txbullsfan; 10-04-2018 at 05:36 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 05:40 PM

I WANT my chlorine. A little reverse osmosis system neglect can kill you.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:44 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Exactly, resonator. I'm going to reply to his DM, but unfortunately I won't sell a carbon filter on the main water supply because of contamination concerns. Plenty of others will - I have to answer to my own standards.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:00 PM

63 posts, read 116,873 times
Default Re water softener reaearch.

We bought our softener 21 years ago from Texas Redneck. Have never had a single service call. Never had to replace the rosin. If you plan to keep your house go with the best. You get what you pay for as my Mother uses to say.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:14 PM

"you get what you pay for"
but I don't shop with the heavy TV advertisers and remember my three rip off dealings with folks who advertise their Christianity.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:09 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
"you get what you pay for"
but I don't shop with the heavy TV advertisers and remember my three rip off dealings with folks who advertise their Christianity.
Very true....SOMEONE is paying for all that advertising - wanna guess who?

Lots of business owners are Christian - the ones that plaster it all over their ads and cards are the ones that worry me.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:57 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
I WANT my chlorine. A little reverse osmosis system neglect can kill you.
Hi Resonator and Texas Redneck,

Your comments caused me to research a bit. While I have not heard of a single story where someone was killed or even sickened by a whole house carbon filter here in SA, I too do not want to be sickened, or as you mentioned, killed by bacteria in my water because of a whole house carbon filter, if indeed this was a problem.

I am new to this so I am learning and researching like crazy. Getting a carbon filter is not a necessity for me but does offer some advantages in warranties, life of equipment, not drinking chlorine/bleach, clothes lasting longer when washing etc.

If possible, when I research I try to get information from unbiased, not affiliated third parties that are not selling the same (or similar) goods and/or services.

In light of this I called San Antonio Water Systems, (SAWS) as they are a major authority on water out here and they sell neither water softeners nor whole house carbon filters. I specifically asked them about whole house carbon filters because of the comments a few people made. The first person I spoke to at SAWS said she has heard no issues with whole house filters but admitted she was not an expert. She then gave me the number and transferred me to someone who was an expert.

Here are his answers (in blue) after speaking to this expert at SAWS today:

1. Are whole house carbon filter systems common in San Antonio: "Yes, they are common"
2. Have you ever heard of any cases where someone got sick from having a whole house carbon filter system in there home here in San Antonio: "No, I have not heard of one case"

These were important answer for me.

The gentleman also stated:" "while I have not heard of one case of someone getting sick from one of these systems, one could simply get a whole house carbon filtration system to prolong the life of their water softener and then periodically bypass or remove the filter for a period of time to reintroduce the chlorine to their system if they are that concerned about any bacteria in their homes plumbing."

After speaking to the expert at SAWS, too investigate further, I also typed these search terms into Google and found no cases of people getting sick or dying from whole house carbon filters. Here are the search terms I used:

1. "sick from from whole house carbon water filter"
2. "death from from whole house carbon water filter"

After my research, I have been unsuccessful in finding a case of someone getting sick or even dying from one of these systems nationally and especially here in SA. Perhaps I am not looking in the right spot and someone could direct me further.

I am looking for some more feedback from the community before making my selection. Maybe some of you have a whole house carbon filter and love it. Maybe you bought one and regretted it for some reason or another. Id appreciate some more feedback.

For those who have responded so far and for those who will in the future, thank you.

Last edited by txbullsfan; 10-12-2018 at 11:34 AM..

Old 10-12-2018, 12:15 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Wow, I thought I did research before purchasing a major item. I am impressed, txbullsfan!

I purchased mine in 2014. I had no idea that TexasRedneck was an expert in water softeners or I definitely would have gone through him for info and perhaps purchase.

So now I am learning more about softeners via this thread. I chose mine knowing there are those that don't require salt. I know about changing filters, but not abour resin. Would someone enlighten me on resin, please, unless it is TMI, then I can research it myself so I am not taking advantage of anyone's time explaining it to me.

For the record, it is just me using my system, and I am not home alot nor do I use alot of water. So I had my system looked at and gone over 3 years after I had it installed. Nothing was said about resin.

TIA for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio