Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:54 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,468,886 times

Advertisements

Trust me, I am as big a bleeding heart as anyone...one of the children that we adopted was from the "dump" in Manila...it is where those that were REALLY homeless and hungry lived...the main garbage dump for the biggest city in the Philippines...and for good reason, there was a daily new food source.

She had worms, parasites and malnutrition so badly she probably would not have lived another 6 months when we hunted down her mother, adopted her, and she is a BEAUTIFUL, SMART, ACTIVE DUTY AIR FORCE woman (still MY baby girl) who can charm anyone, anywhere....but we learned lots living in 3rd world countries...like those that are the most in need are never seen....like there are those that will EXPLOIT those children to beg to pull at your heartstrings...but really pimp those kids to provide $$ used for drugs and other things.

We give, but ensure that those we donate to use the money for those things we feel are important, the Pearl Buck Foundation, Feed the Children, and other charities where we can monitor what percentage of what we gives actually goes to help those intended to help vs "administrative" costs.

When I quit giving the kids on the street corners in the Philippines $$ and instead started taking them to the nearby place to fill those little bellys...lets just say I KNEW that they were fed and were ok...and that someone was not using the $$ they collected for other than their own good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 03:59 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,428,683 times

Aw Paka...you're so awesome, I'm not allowed to rep you again (yet)!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,561,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post

Aw Paka...you're so awesome, I'm not allowed to rep you again (yet)!
I was!!! (Finally!!)

And yeah, what he said!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:06 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,468,886 times
Thanks guys...but HONESTLY, WE are the ones that were lucky...we had such FANTASTIC children come into our lives thru adoption...when someone tells us "they are so lucky" we always respond (and this is 10000% true) NO, WE ARE THE LUCKY ONES!

Our children have been such a blessing we thank God every day that he directed each and every one of them into our lives....you know, you take so much for "granted" when you get pregnant with your own...you never sit in AWE and wonder, What if we were a day earlier or later, would someone else have gotten all the joy THEY brought into our lives????????

Old 04-08-2008, 04:29 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,413,882 times
Those are definitely the ones that need help and the parents that send them out to beg need something else.. During one port visit to Acapulco some of us talked to a young boy in front of a grocery store and he told this story about how his parents would drive him around to various places and basically dump him off to beg.. It was awful, but at least he was in front of a grocery store and got some real food that night.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:28 PM

19 posts, read 68,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
it's usually a "job". I personally wouldn't want to do it, mostly because I have very fair skin and would get the crap burned out of me here in San Antonio.. but they did a study on these people in San Diego and they averaged over $100K/year. It takes my wife and I working together to come up with that, so maybe we're in the wrong carreer field..
In NY before I left upstate the new anchor went out dressed like a homeless guy befriended them and was eventually invited to their home. Yes they have homes and cars ... how do you think they get around town all day?
My friend is a bus driver and the ones that take the bus talk to him like a friend because he has been on the same route just like them ... beleive me when I tell you its not the exception!!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:35 PM

44 posts, read 126,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post
I've always heard from professional social workers etc., that one should not give money to the panhandlers. If indeed, they are homeless, down on their "luck" or whatever, when they receive money they usually spend it on alcohol. So, it just perpetuates their situation.

I've heard of so many stories such as the ones stated above where jobs were offered etc., etc. and the panhandlers flatly turned them down. As others have said, they make more $$ by panhandling than working a "real" job.

With all that said, I never give them money but still feel pangs of "guilt" when I pass them by.

I never feel guilty when I pass them and I think if they're going to beg they should earn it somehow... at least write a clever quote on your cardboard, or dance or something.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:55 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,413,882 times
hmmm, intersection strippers...

Old 04-09-2008, 01:08 AM

127 posts, read 495,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygreeniii View Post

We saw a guy out by 1604 and Culebra that said he and his family were standed and he had a nice pair of pants, shirt, and tie. Either it was a new hook, or he really did have a run of bad luck.
Saw the same guy at 1604 and Blanco last week.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:36 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,428,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemice View Post
I never feel guilty when I pass them and I think if they're going to beg they should earn it somehow... at least write a clever quote on your cardboard, or dance or something.
picture by expressionexp - Photobucket

picture by rabiah_bucket - Photobucket

I have others, but I'll leave them out as they are a little risque....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio