Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:03 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, yesterday we went to the Waterpark, today the Riverwalk and tomorrow Sea World. The past two days we met people from Austin. We live in San Antonio. Hmmm, what does that say?
All I know is I am glad I live in a city where I can do things and "feel" like I'm on vacation getaways without having to pack up the car for a week.
Don't get me wrong, there are parts outside of Austin that I would love to be at....say the Lake Travis area. Aside from that SA is the place to be and I don't care what people weigh or what they drive.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:22 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Hmmm, yesterday we went to the Waterpark, today the Riverwalk and tomorrow Sea World. The past two days we met people from Austin. We live in San Antonio. Hmmm, what does that say?
All I know is I am glad I live in a city where I can do things and "feel" like I'm on vacation getaways without having to pack up the car for a week.
Don't get me wrong, there are parts outside of Austin that I would love to be at....say the Lake Travis area. Aside from that SA is the place to be and I don't care what people weigh or what they drive.
Don't forget...or how they drive!

Old 06-14-2008, 08:25 AM

83 posts, read 235,514 times
get over it we arent in high school cool is an adjective that any idiot can slap on any noun!!

Old 06-14-2008, 09:09 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmammoo View Post
Its because SA votes for Subway as "Best Subs in SA" in the local media...

SA's general mentality isn't very open-minded.
lol subway!

Austin is better than San Antonio if youre single. theres alot of things to do up there.

San Antonio is more family oriented and still focus on fundamentals just like the spurs play. Although some people are really closeminded but alot of people here are very courteous and friendley, San Antonio is a nice hospitality town, but with some very bad drivers. other than that its a pretty decent place to live. well except on the westside.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamatdan View Post
I could rarely care how cool one city is or another. If I wanted to be in a cool city, I would have stayed in Los Angeles. But, truth be told, I did not want to raise my kids in that concrete jungle. Now, if I was a single guy with no family ties, I would move back to Los Angeles...but that was before we moved to San Antonio. I did not make the decision to move here because it was cool to live in SA, I moved here to lower my monthly outgo a bit, send my kids to decent schools and immerse myself that feels a bit like Los Angeles to me. Moving to SA was the best move I ever made...especially moving here sight unseen. I have met a lot of great people and have a lot more friends then I ever did when living in Cali. I knew it was going to be hot AND humid in the Summers, but I do not go outside a lot anyway so that was not really a concern for me. But living anywhere is about CHOICE. I did a lot of research before moving here and I had other CHOICES. Out of the others on the short list, this met the most of our needs. If you are here now, you can still decide to leave. If you moved here because of a job, you had a CHOICE to either move with the job or stay where you were and find another job. All that said, I have no regrets and if I had to make the decision again...SA would still be my first CHOICE.
turth be told man, the only things that i miss from LA is the Sea breeze, and chinese food. chinesse food over there was made by actualy chinesse people and here well its mostly mexicans and puerto ricans. but no big deal though.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristiecsu View Post
Having moved here recently and been to both Austin and S.A. I feel like I can nail it down pretty well. "Cool" is something that young urbanites use to define a city. San Antonio is pretty unattractive with a few exceptions. There are IMMENSELY obese people everywhere in this city, and it makes it seem like a city that has just given up. The streets are lined with signs on sticks, and it's just hideous. It looks like one giant truck stop. The sidewalks in many areas are just completely neglected, cracked, weeds sprouting, etc. There are packs of dogs that roam the streets, even in the very nice neighborhoods. All the nice areas are within walking distance of really crappy areas. I LOVE the Quarry district, Alamo heights, and parts of Stone Oak, but those are small minorities compared to the larger areas of suck that inflitrate every other part of the city. This place may have potential, but it seems wasted by a population that is largely poor, overweight, and...sweaty. Ugh.

Austin, by contrast, seems to encourage outdoorsy activities, arts, sidewalk cafes (and no, having the Riverwalk doesn't cancel out the rest of San Antonio's seeming aversion to beauty), and youth. It seems like a culture that has embraced Honda Hybrids, Apple electronics, organic lifestyle, and music. In other words, it's just a way better place to be for young people who care about health of both the earth and their own bodies.

That's my general impression. I honestly think it'll be difficult to spend the next two years in San Antonio, mired under the weight of a super-sized community that spends most of their lives in traffic in a pickup, knowing that Austin is so close. But alas, that's the tough part of being a military couple. We go where we're told and we suck it up.
well sorry to burst your bubble honey theres a bunch of mobidly obesse people over in Austin aswell. are you a tree hugger? cars dont emit that much polution, all this global warming crap is just to get you to buy more stuff. My grandpa tells me story that in the 60's people were expecting an ice age because it was really cold. and now they complain because its really hot!

Old 06-14-2008, 10:41 AM

933 posts, read 1,978,909 times
One thing the locals say, and I know this because I have many friends in Austin, is that when SXSW arrives in town...they want to be elsewhere! I caught the SXSW edition of Art Mann Presents and the out of town peeps were freaking nuts! These were not out of town from SA, they were from other states. So obviously I will not be going there, but ACL is more mellow. Look for me there in September!

Now when you talk about Fiesta, all of the locals head there...and perhaps some out of town peeps as well. Its a mellow happy place with not a lot of people acting like idiots.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:10 AM

Here is another reason for the SA haters to move to Austin...They can stare at the new up and coming behemoth condo towers...complete with rooftop rifle range and complimentary bungee jumping cords! Woohoo go have fun y'all sad relocatees!

» Condo-mania In Downtown Austin - Housing Doom

Old 06-14-2008, 11:59 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamatdan View Post
One thing the locals say, and I know this because I have many friends in Austin, is that when SXSW arrives in town...they want to be elsewhere! I caught the SXSW edition of Art Mann Presents and the out of town peeps were freaking nuts! These were not out of town from SA, they were from other states. So obviously I will not be going there, but ACL is more mellow. Look for me there in September!

Now when you talk about Fiesta, all of the locals head there...and perhaps some out of town peeps as well. Its a mellow happy place with not a lot of people acting like idiots.
What Fiesta are YOU attending?

Maybe it's improved wildly over the years since I stopped going... but I quit going after being groped, grabbed, CHASED, etc. by drunken fools.
If I want drunkenness I can go to a bar and drink whatever is the $1 special and then get the same greasy tacos outside the bar at the taco truck after.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
What Fiesta are YOU attending?

Maybe it's improved wildly over the years since I stopped going... but I quit going after being groped, grabbed, CHASED, etc. by drunken fools.
If I want drunkenness I can go to a bar and drink whatever is the $1 special and then get the same greasy tacos outside the bar at the taco truck after.
I suppose I am not grope-able material...haha But it sucks to have a bad experience. I probably will not go again because I am not big on crowds, but the folks I saw were pretty well behaved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio