Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:58 PM

380 posts, read 1,280,047 times

Advertisements

So my co-workers and I were talking about the ever increasing gas prices and I was wondering what everyone thinks would happen if prices actually got to the $6.00 a gallon. I think it's in the near future. I can only imagine that crime would certainly increase. Any other thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 09:05 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
People get serious about alternate modes of transportation?
Car companies get serious about building cars which use alternative fuels?
Cities get serious about developing efficient public transportation systems?
Developers give up on building McMansions in the 'burbs and focus on higher density urban development linked to public transportation?

one can dream, eh?
It's well over that in many parts of Europe.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:07 PM

148 posts, read 503,852 times
Here's my thoughts about it:
Thank God that I got an electrical engineering degree
because when I save some money, I'm making myself an electric vehicle and stop giving my money to the oil industry.

[MOD CUT]

BTW, it's likely that the first one will be an electric bicycle or an electric motorcycle.

Last edited by da jammer; 05-07-2008 at 09:39 PM..

Old 05-07-2008, 09:09 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
I'm expecting it. I already drive a fuel-efficient car, and just cut my commute in half. If VIA would get serious about adding me as a rider, I'd check them out, but I am not adding 2 hours to my commute just to save a gallon of gas every week. The older you get, the more precious those 2 hours become.

Chaka, FWIW, and IMO, with all due respect, you are dreaming.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:11 PM

Oh, I have seen a Smart Car smart USA - open your mind to the car that challenges the status quo locally. They're all over Switzerland (and probably a few other countries), but this is the first time I've seen one here.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:14 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Oh, I have seen a Smart Car smart USA - open your mind to the car that challenges the status quo locally. They're all over Switzerland (and probably a few other countries), but this is the first time I've seen one here.
Saw lots of them in SoCal. They are all over Europe and have been for years.
Not quite sure about their safety though. They don't really look "built for our freeways".

Top speed is 84 MPH for the American version.....90-95 MPH for the Euro version....depending on model.

Around 36 MPG (combined city/highway) for the American version...a little disappointing for a 999 cc engine.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Not quite sure about their safety though. They don't really look "built for our freeways".
You might catch a lot of people dead in that thing.

(you know, as in "you wouldn't catch me dead in that thing.")

Only, like really dead. Those do not look like they would hold up at all.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Hmmm, I haven't noticed any in SoCal either, but I'm sure they are around. There are definitely more hybrids there, but not as many as I'd expect.

I haven't spent as much time in other countries besides CH lately, so hadn't noticed but figured they'd be as popular in other countries. I don't think I've ever seen them on the highways, only around town. I honestly would be a bit nervous driving one in Texas, next to the monster trucks and SUVs. I'll stick with my hybrid for now.

And sapphire, a girl can dream huh?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:22 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Before anyone goes starting a rumor that Smart cars are unsafe, watch
this, and read this:

Quote:
The safety management system of the smart fortwo will set new standards in its class.

The highlight of the safety management system is the tridion safety cell. The safety cell is made from steel, half of which is high-strength material, especially in highly stressed areas. The cell is designed to keep occupants protected. The reinforced steel and the design of the car allow for the displacement of impact and redistribution of crash energy. Because of the size of the vehicle, most crashes will also involve one of the wheel bases which also displaces energy.

Both doors are also designed for easy access during rescue.

The smart fortwo comes standard with four airbags (two full-sized front and two side for head and thorax protection). Other safety features such as esp® (electronic stability program) and ABS brakes are also standard.
I drove a ForFour as a rental a few years back, it drove nice and would be great for a small family. I have never had the opportunity to drive a ForTwo but if gas prices keep going the way they are going, it may be an option to offset the 15 mpg I am getting with the Jeep.

I may also dust off my motorcycles, one runs and the other needs work; but with the current increases it may be economical to get both running.

Cheers! M2

Old 05-07-2008, 09:26 PM

I wasn't starting a rumor. I said they look unsafe. Sheesh. I drive a small car, and these look to be half the size of my Nissan. Yeah, if everyone else is driving one, they are probably extremely wonderful little cars. But if an F-150 plows into one, my money's on the truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio