Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 11:11 AM

7 posts, read 8,614 times

Advertisements

So I have posted this in an old thread but a member suggested starting a new one so here it is: My husband is getting a very nice job offer from a company and it is possible we have to move to San Antonio, that being said here are my concerns, We are a Venezuelan family that moved to Canada Almost 10 years ago, so we are "Latino" looking people, Sorry I need to bring this to the post but is there racism against Latinos in Texas? I mean I have read "Latinos" are a vast population of Texas but still, I fear for my kids and mostly because they have lived all their lives in Canada where the racism is low almost null, also Canada is very safe not guns allowed, they have never seen shooting or whatsoever, (I have, I'm Venezuelan so that is something that you fear there) but My kids have not seen any of this in their lives, gangs, drug trafficking... we live in the suburbs, so far they haven't witnessed anything scary.
Is it a good Idea to Change my Oh Canada so cold.... for San Antonio nice weather Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 12:29 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,433,133 times
San Antonio is majority Latino, most of whom have lived there for generations upon generations. In some neighborhoods, the city is constantly frustrated by an inability to raise the taxes because homes simply pass from family member to family member, never going on the market. For a city of over 1 million, it still has a rather small city vibe, at least it does to me, who lives an hour away but visits/shops in SA every few weeks.

San Antonio is proud of being Military City, as the US military has a very large presence there. Because of this presence and the business-friendly Texas government, San Antonio is a vibrant, diverse, and lively place, very proud of its roots and history. The medical facilities are outstanding, the school districts vary (do your homework!), and the homeowner property taxes are high.

Its city government is dominated by the Democrat Party, but it's nowhere near as far left as other large cities, as its Latino community is still very religious and conservative.

San Antonio has a black population of 7%, but it has the largest Martin Luther King Day march in the nation -- every year. Before COVID-19, there was a fiesta, celebration, block party -- you name it -- going on pretty much every other week throughout the year. When San Antonio parties, everyone's invited and these festivities are good, clean fun -- even the intoxicated are mostly polite.

There probably is some racial or cultural discrimination going on somewhere, but it's not a big thing, as most residents simply don't have time for it. Live and let live is the norm. Be polite to each other, and things are usually very pleasant.

Do some research for yourself by starting here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio

https://www.sanantonio.gov

The second link gives you crime statistics, including maps.

https://www.zipdatamaps.com/schools/...tendance-zones

Start here to look at where you want your kids to attend school, then make sure you rent or buy in those districts, or get out of that school district entirely.

Good luck in your search, and enjoy San Antonio.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:34 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,516,469 times
I go to San Antonio just about every weekend, because my girlfriend lives there. I think you will be fine.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:48 PM

109 posts, read 71,220 times
Na just get used to there being no other latino culture besides mexican american and for everyone to assume you're Mexican or mexican american even if you tell them you're from Venezuela.

Yes there are a good amount of shootings, depending on where you live you might witness a few, I know I have.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:05 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Is it a good Idea to Change my Oh Canada so cold.... for San Antonio nice weather Texas?
Hope you know how hot it gets here...

Old 04-21-2021, 12:00 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Janetty View Post
Yes there are a good amount of shootings, depending on where you live you might witness a few, I know I have.
I've never seen a shooting in my 40+ years in San Antonio, mostly in the south side, which is not a ritzy part of town. Where do you hang out?

Old 04-21-2021, 03:48 PM

109 posts, read 71,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I've never seen a shooting in my 40+ years in San Antonio, mostly in the south side, which is not a ritzy part of town. Where do you hang out?
Last year saw two people get shot and killed in a McDonald's parking lot.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:04 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,009,949 times
The city is vast vast vast majority hispanic, Mexican or Tejano, that is. You won't find many Venezuelans. You also won't find a unified hispanic culture. You might find prejudice from Mexicans or Tejanos that don't like Venezuelans. You might find prejudice from whites or blacks that don't like ANY hispanics.

Now that we've gone over the various scenarios, everywhere you go you will see hispanic people. In every corner of the city. They all seem to get along fine from what I can tell.

As far as gangs and drug traffickers? Yes, there are plenty. This is a fact of life in the USA. San Antonio is far safer than most cities in this country...

One more thing. Not trying to be rude here, but there is no such thing as "looking latino".

Old 04-22-2021, 10:03 AM

624 posts, read 906,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Ditto

Old 04-23-2021, 09:00 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,330,575 times
There are shooting in the North areas. The Rim had a gang assassination in its fancy restaurant area about lunch time. The UTSA area has had some. It is not true that there are not violent incidents in the Northside. Recall the guy shooting at 281/1604 who then got killed at the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio