Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 09:27 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,044,457 times

Advertisements

I go to the river walk a 3-4 times a month and I know lots of people who do the same thing.

Mom and pop mexican shops. Downtown old world architecture. The Missions. The Tejano culture in general that doesn't exist in the other large cities in Texas. These are all things that make San Antonio unique.

You are right about me not traveling much other than to other parts of south Texas. I am quite content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 08:19 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,815,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
So, what are those unique attributes you're talking about? Fast food people endlessly rave about? Mom&Pop Tex-Mex holes in the wall on every street and half dead strip malls? River Walk locals seldom visit more than twice? HEB ruling the grocery market? Oh, and the Spurs. The city pride!
It seems that's all the locals want, desire and support for intellectual entertainment.
I guess, people who cherish that don't travel much.

Despite our "numerous assets", San Antonio does lack some key features and faces challenges that impact the future growth and health of our community.
https://sacompplan.com/background-an...opportunities/

We could do better, but do we WANT that??
I agree we could do better than the unique attributes we do have. I didn't say I like the all of the ones that San Antonio has to offer but I would hate to see us trying "to keep up with the Jonses" with DFW, Houston and Austin.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:42 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,071,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I go to the river walk a 3-4 times a month and I know lots of people who do the same thing.

Mom and pop mexican shops. Downtown old world architecture. The Missions. The Tejano culture in general that doesn't exist in the other large cities in Texas. These are all things that make San Antonio unique.

You are right about me not traveling much other than to other parts of south Texas. I am quite content.
You should travel outside of Texas more to see "what you're missing". Even Austin has more "umph" than San Antonio....lol I am only here because of my job and my wife is from here. We are "content" enough with SA to make it another 10 years. But once we do our second retirement, we are off to the beaches of Florida.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
You should travel outside of Texas more to see "what you're missing". Even Austin has more "umph" than San Antonio....lol I am only here because of my job and my wife is from here. We are "content" enough with SA to make it another 10 years. But once we do our second retirement, we are off to the beaches of Florida.
It still boggles my mind why people stay here despite knowing other places has more "umph". The classic "my job is here" or "my family is here" excuse is overused now. Excuses...excuses. You are here because it is cheaper, more laid back, and want to milk San Antonio for all it has to offer then go off to the greener pastures. Let me know how much better life will be for you when you trade your boots here for a speedo on southbeach.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:57 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,071,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
It still boggles my mind why people stay here despite knowing other places has more "umph". The classic "my job is here" or "my family is here" excuse is overused now. Excuses...excuses. You are here because it is cheaper, more laid back, and want to milk San Antonio for all it has to offer then go off to the greener pastures. Let me know how much better life will be for you when you trade your boots here for a speedo on southbeach.
Wow, you know me so well huh? I don’t care to justify anything to some stranger on the internet. Good day.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:00 PM

3,442 posts, read 1,497,319 times
Quote:
It is fabulous that you love SA a it is. Others would enjoy continuing to have amenities such as the Symphony Orchestra as part of our community. I’m certainly no expert, but I think if you look at most Metropolitan areas of 2.5 million people, you will see that they are able to support a Symphony. Having a Symphony is not something that only “World Class” cities have….Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Cleveland, are all examples of decent cities that are hardly considered “World Class” that have Symphony Orchestras. If those cities can support a Symphony, SA should be able to as well. They make the community a better place. It is a source of pride. It provides a cultural and educational opportunity for the entire community. The fact that we would like to see such amenities remain in the community doesn’t mean we hate SA…it just means that it could be better (or at least not getting worse).

Old 06-29-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
It is fabulous that you love SA a it is. Others would enjoy continuing to have amenities such as the Symphony Orchestra as part of our community. I’m certainly no expert, but I think if you look at most Metropolitan areas of 2.5 million people, you will see that they are able to support a Symphony. Having a Symphony is not something that only “World Class” cities have….Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Cleveland, are all examples of decent cities that are hardly considered “World Class” that have Symphony Orchestras. If those cities can support a Symphony, SA should be able to as well. They make the community a better place. It is a source of pride. It provides a cultural and educational opportunity for the entire community. The fact that we would like to see such amenities remain in the community doesn’t mean we hate SA…it just means that it could be better (or at least not getting worse).
When I was a little kid...I used to care that my friends had air jordans while I didn't because it made me feel uncool. I grew up, now I don't care and enjoy what I do have and not get so hung up on what others have that isn't here.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:16 PM

3,442 posts, read 1,497,319 times
Quote:
When I was a little kid...I used to care that my friends had air jordans while I didn't because it made me feel uncool. I grew up, now I don't care and enjoy what I do have and not get so hung up on what others have that isn't here.
As I said, it’s fabulous you love SA as it is.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Wow, you know me so well huh? I don’t care to justify anything to some stranger on the internet. Good day.
That is fine.....my statement was not so much to just you but to all of those that keep wanting San Antonio to have what Austin/Houston/Dallas/etc already has. It gets old after awhile dude.....

Old 06-29-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
As I said, it’s fabulous you love SA as it is.
Nah...I loved SA 10-20 years ago. Now not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio