Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:21 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times

Advertisements

left lane drivers are usually the root of most problems around here. Nothing wrong with being in that lane when you're passing someone, but I get back over to the right when I'm done passing and that's what you're supposed to do. I had a jerk riding the left lane from 1604/10 to whatever that middle light on the stoplight hell section of 1604 between Bandera and Culebra is. He was in that lane speeding up and slowing down, but hanging out almost in my blind spot the entire time. I had to hit the gas every time I wanted to pass a car just so I could get around him. I gave him the one finger salute at least 5 times and the moron still didn't get the clue. Those are the people you want to see an 18 wheeler plow into and they obviously have no clue about driving laws and etiquette

forgot to mention this to the OP.. I had a Constable pull me over once because he didn't like the way I was driving (he literally said that to me along with calling me brother with every sentence). The irony was I was following his dumb butt the entire time and neither of us used our signals. He mentioned not using signals, but didn't give me a ticket for it because I don't think you have to. They can try to get you for unsafe lane changes, but that's an easy one to fight in court. You say you didn't and tell the judge you're a person that prides yourself on your personal integrity..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 09:37 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
I would be careful about tapping on the brakes to get someone off your butt. That happened out on I-10 and 2 young girls died as a result. Yes, they were tailgating and being stupid, but they died. Pretty harsh punishment for being young and stupid, IMO. It's easier to just move over out of their way. I mean, you are impeding the flow even though you think you are being impeded, too.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:39 AM

81 posts, read 260,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
left lane drivers are usually the root of most problems around here. Nothing wrong with being in that lane when you're passing someone, but I get back over to the right when I'm done passing and that's what you're supposed to do. I had a jerk riding the left lane from 1604/10 to whatever that middle light on the stoplight hell section of 1604 between Bandera and Culebra is. He was in that lane speeding up and slowing down, but hanging out almost in my blind spot the entire time. I had to hit the gas every time I wanted to pass a car just so I could get around him. I gave him the one finger salute at least 5 times and the moron still didn't get the clue. Those are the people you want to see an 18 wheeler plow into and they obviously have no clue about driving laws and etiquette
So true. We were passing people and that's probably why the car in front of me was in the fast lane. I was in the fast lane so I could get into the turning lane to turn on potranco. When I did turn on potranco there was a wreck there as well. One car was pretty smashed up but I don't think anyone was hurt. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a demolition derby match. I just try to drive defensively and hope for the best.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I would be careful about tapping on the brakes to get someone off your butt. That happened out on I-10 and 2 young girls died as a result. Yes, they were tailgating and being stupid, but they died. Pretty harsh punishment for being young and stupid, IMO. It's easier to just move over out of their way. I mean, you are impeding the flow even though you think you are being impeded, too.
That's why I said I tapped them just enough for the light to come on. It didn't even slow me down. And I wasn't going to move over into the other lane and then cut across two lanes of traffic within 50 to 100 feet to get into the turning lane. That would have been more dangerous. The guy needs to know that the laws do apply to him and he needs to follow them.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:12 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
well, that's just a stupid driver. I only get mad at the ones that are in the left lane and driving the exact same speed as the person to their right and they usually have hundreds or thousands of feet of empty road in front of them. If a person is passing then just wait for them to finish passing.
I would also recommend against the brake light thing because that is a trigger for road rage. Even if you're personally just tapping it, it'll still probably act as a trigger. They should already know they're tailgating without you giving them a reminder

Old 06-02-2008, 10:16 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
I only mentioned it because the woman who did the tapping ended up getting charged for the deaths.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I would also recommend against the brake light thing because that is a trigger for road rage. Even if you're personally just tapping it, it'll still probably act as a trigger. They should already know they're tailgating without you giving them a reminder
Road rage is yet another example of it. Of people thinking they are somehow special and the rules do not apply to them. Like the guy that shot another driver for running a stop sign the other day. He thought he was so special that he should be able to sentence someone to death for running a stop sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I only mentioned it because the woman who did the tapping ended up getting charged for the deaths.
Sounds like she did a lot more than tapping to have caused a wreck. Probably slammed on her brakes. I am surprised though that she was charged with their deaths...unless slamming on her brakes is exactly what she did. Usually if you rear end someone it's automatically your fault. But a tragedy that 2 girls died regardless of whose fault it was.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:38 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,586 times
rd2007 has a good point re: "brake checking." I used to do it to folks who were tailgating me until I was on the receiving end of a very irate driver who kept acting like he was going to sideswipe me. No damage to car or driver, but I learned a valuable lesson that day:

If someone's hanging off your bumper, just move over when safe to do so. Letting him/her by is a lot safer and easier than teaching him/her a "lesson." There is NOT ONE INCH of pavement worth spilling my blood on.

--Dim

Old 06-02-2008, 10:38 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Texas law requires the use of signals when changing lanes or turning...

Quote:
§ 545.104. SIGNALING TURNS; USE OF TURN SIGNALS.
(a) An operator shall use the signal authorized by Section 545.106 to indicate an intention to turn, change lanes, or start from a parked position.
(b) An operator intending to turn a vehicle right or left shall signal continuously for not less than the last 100 feet of movement of the vehicle before the turn.
(c) An operator may not light the signals on only one side of the vehicle on a parked or disabled vehicle or use the signals as a courtesy or "do pass" signal to the operator of another vehicle approaching from the rear.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
All of the Texas statues can be found here (http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/index.htm - broken link). Do a search on the Transportation Code.

I would recommend taking the online comedy class. It is mildly entertaining, and can be done at your own convenience. I did it when I got my last speeding ticket...

Cheers! M2

Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
rd2007 has a good point re: "brake checking." I used to do it to folks who were tailgating me until I was on the receiving end of a very irate driver who kept acting like he was going to sideswipe me. No damage to car or driver, but I learned a valuable lesson that day:
I hope you were able to get a license plate number and report him. Sooner or later he'll eventually run out of luck. He'll pull that stunt on someone else and that someone else will pull out a gun and shoot him. Not that the person doing the shooting would be in the right though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio