Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 06:21 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times

Advertisements

It seriously has not always been this bad. We have a lot of new people, lots more construction, and people are just generally busier these days. I don't think it's necessarily a San Antonio exclusive. Have you driven in Dallas or Houston lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 02:26 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Actually, it doesn't need to be posted. The law (TTC §545.051) requires any vehicle moving more slowly than other vehicles to use the right-hand lane unless you're passing someone or preparing to turn left. The law makes no exception if you're going the speed limit. Yes, I know that logic would dictate that if you're going the speed limit, then nobody should be going faster than you, so you should be able to cruise the left lane. But we all know that doesn't happen in the real world, and there are legitmate reasons where someone may need to exceed the speed limit. It's not your duty nor your prerogative to obstruct the left lane. If someone is speeding and you're blocking the left lane, you're both breaking the law.
I have been curious about this issue for some time. I finally decided to ask about it. First I sent an email to TxDot. TxDot forwarded it to TDPS who responded: [SIZE=2]
"When a sign is posted "Left Lane for Passig Only" then it is only for areas where it is posted. You should not exceed the speed limit even when passing."

This is coming from the Texas Highway Patrol.

I know many drivers apparently see these signs and think that this is a rationalization for using the left lane and expecting everyone to get out of their way if you are not going faster than them because they are passing everyone.
[/SIZE]

Old 06-10-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Tell those dingleberries that everyone on CD is watching the 10 o'clock news to see if someone has blown them off the road. That kind of attitude will get you shot just as fast as flipping someone off....
Deep Forest, that wasn't a quote from me. I was quoting NRLATSHA. Second post on 1st page of thread. Just for the record.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:57 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
the law clearly states that the left lane is for passing and left turns only and that's why 99.9% of the population hates left lane drivers. I was stuck behind one on Military all the way from 151 to Westcreek and she was driving exactly the same speed as the person to her right and adjusting to make sure nobody could get around her. She obviously wasn't bright, though, because she was one of those silly mary kay ladies and had her name and phone number plastered all over the stupid SUV she was driving. Hopefully one day she ticks off the wrong person; she deserves it...

Old 06-10-2008, 04:07 PM

222 posts, read 706,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
the law clearly states that the left lane is for passing and left turns only and that's why 99.9% of the population hates left lane drivers. I was stuck behind one on Military all the way from 151 to Westcreek and she was driving exactly the same speed as the person to her right and adjusting to make sure nobody could get around her. She obviously wasn't bright, though, because she was one of those silly mary kay ladies and had her name and phone number plastered all over the stupid SUV she was driving. Hopefully one day she ticks off the wrong person; she deserves it...
I'd say that kind of stupidity deserves some type of award! How about a phone call???

JUST KIDDING! The whole "adjusting to make sure nobody could get around her" part got to me. . . . THAT Is specifically what causes accidents and incites road rage. NOT that anything justifies it (road rage). If it's any consolation, I have to think that anyone who's so miserable that they have to jack with the people who are just trying to DRIVE then she was far worse off than anyone she kept from passing her.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:51 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,196,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Deep Forest, that wasn't a quote from me. I was quoting NRLATSHA. Second post on 1st page of thread. Just for the record.
Didn't read that way, but OK.....http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/think005.gif (broken link)

Old 06-11-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Whatever I guess an Executive Assistant I from the Texas Highway Patrol doesn't know the laws governing Texas Highways. Your right, they're wrong. I concede.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:02 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
I never said it was legal to speed, but it is COMMON SENSE to stay out of the left lane and allow people to go around you. The average civilian on the road has no legal authority to force others to drive a certain way and you're actually taking a huge risk by doing that. I'll just get mad, but others will get dangerous...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio