Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 12:49 PM

933 posts, read 1,978,909 times

Advertisements

Oh, hearing Jules barking orders at her family has to be fun! Maybe we can get a preview of it at the M&G on Saturday! In between her and Sapphire wrestling and what not, its definitely going to be a video camera day!

My bill has not showed up online, but after reading all of the cardiac arrest stories, I advised the little ones that they have two choices. Eat or leave lights on when they are not in the room. They both chose food. Go figure. LOL I know the littlest one is the biggest offender, but I said they both have to watch out for each other and click it or ticket. Oh no...that's not it...Click it off...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 12:55 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Monitrob wrote -
No. They were already installed when we bought the house in the late 1990's. They aren't the best looking (aluminum vs. clad wood), and I have thought about eventually replacing them. I got a quote last year and they were about $1000 a window for the casements. My significant other thought that they weren't that bad looking after all, but I'm still taking donations. I guess I should clarify the 29 window statement - there aren't 29 holes in the wall, just 29 windows (some are ganged together in pairs and triples).

I have noticed that they are most beneficial during the cold winter January and February months - I think we lose more heat through the floor than the windows.

Ah, you're lucky...sort of....We love that we have the original wood 8x3 2 over 2 windows, many with the antique glass, as so many houses in our 'hood had them removed. But they stink for energy efficiency. We ended up insulating all around the weights (there were amazing gaps!) and the windows themselves, so they're much better, but in the winter the glass is like ice!

We too lose a ton of heat through the floor, esp. as it hasn't been insulated and it's been exposed (no skirting) for some time now. That problem is being rectified this week! Hopefully this winter will be a bit better.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:18 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,873 times
Chaka,

When I was younger, my dad was stationed at Scott AFB, IL. He bought a 1890s Victorian that was in need of some..."TLC." The windows were a lot like what you described. His solution was to caulk around the windows with an insulating foam and then tack up insulating plastic sheeting (transparent, of course). The solution worked, and everything was taken down/out when warmer weather hit.

--Dim

Old 06-11-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
Chaka,

When I was younger, my dad was stationed at Scott AFB, IL. He bought a 1890s Victorian that was in need of some..."TLC." The windows were a lot like what you described. His solution was to caulk around the windows with an insulating foam and then tack up insulating plastic sheeting (transparent, of course). The solution worked, and everything was taken down/out when warmer weather hit.

--Dim

That's pretty much what we;ve done, although we have blankets over the windows....I'm going to make some insulating curtains in hopes that helps. I think once we have the floor taken care of, it'll improve a lot.

Heat isn't so much a problem - esp. once we can open all the windows. Right now, many are either sealed such and/or have lead paint so we don't open them. We're stripping and repainting one by one, eventually we'll be able to open all of them. Combined with the 12 ft ceilings, south facing front hall (wide entry hall, which opens in to a larger area then out another door) and lots of mature shade trees on the south/west side, we do ok.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:28 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,873 times
That's great, Chaka. You'll have to take some pictures one day so we can all see the interior. I love old architecture, especially during the restoration phase. It's so interesting to see how "they" did things back then...

--Dim

Old 06-11-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
That's great, Chaka. You'll have to take some pictures one day so we can all see the interior. I love old architecture, especially during the restoration phase. It's so interesting to see how "they" did things back then...

--Dim
I just DM'd you the website.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:57 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,209,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I just DM'd you the website.
hey, we wanna see too . sounds lovely.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:13 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,826,021 times
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who had to be picked up off the floor when I got my CPS bill. We set our units to 82 when we're gone during the day. At 6, we have it set to go to 80, then at 10 to 78. Two units, 3000 square foot house, two stories. My bill has never been that high in the 4 years we've lived here. It's never been over $200, and was $280.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:47 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,551 times
Our CPS bill doubled from April to May, oddly our usage did not. Our house is EE built in 2006 and, unlike last year, we are not home during the weekdays. The thermostat is kept at 75 (3 indoor smoosh face dogs can't breathe if we keep it any higher) all day and night, which is higher than we had it in April (72 degrees). I still don't understand how the rates can double though, just doesn't seem right.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:35 PM

122 posts, read 512,845 times
You guys freaked me out so I decided to take the time to pay my bill. It was about equal to an August bill, but not so bad. It was $125, last month was $90. We keep our therm on 74 when we aren't home, and 70 when we are. Then at night we turn it down to 69 We have a newer home, maybe that helps the bill a bit. Now, I am going to go check the bill to see the consumption and see if it was more, or if the bill was higher because of a rate increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio