Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:38 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times

Advertisements

you can usually see the little leak rolling down your bowl, but the easiest way is to turn off the valve and see if the tank goes down. The straight pipe in the middle was the culprit in all three of my breaks. Every time it had a thin crack that allowed water to slowly leak out. It adds up though..

and replacing the inside parts is really easy. I was scared the first time, but was very happy I didn't call a plumber after I did it. It's not stupid easy, but it's easy enough to do in about 30 minutes. It took me about an hour to replace an entire toilet today.. learned an important lesson too, never buy the cheapest thing they have.. its cost is adding up because of all the extras and replacements it needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 03:47 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl View Post
Chaka, Rd2007, Smitty...

Thanks for your input. I guess my first thought was that I read somewhere earlier in this thread that the average was 5 thousand to 6 thousand gals use per household.
I wrote that - specifically referring to my neighborhood average, which is usually around 5-6000 gallons. The city residential average is usually around 10-12,000 if I recall correctly. It'll show you on your bill.

Ok, just checked my current bill - avg for my neighborhood in June 2008 was 7481. Average for the city was 11,222. For June 2007, my neighborhood average was 5985 and the city average was 7481.

I'm not sure how they calculate my neighborhood (if it's by zip code or other indicators). The lots tend to be smaller and less landscaped, although they do tend to be higher density than elsewhere in the city. Also fewer pools.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:52 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl View Post
I can't believe this: we used 10,400 gal. of water?! That's what our bill said. And our grass in front and back on an average size lot is pretty much all dead--from LACK of watering.

We are only two people, don't do loads of washing, don't take endlessly long showers, run the dishwasher when it fills up--maybe two or three times a week.

No other water abuses, either--like washing car, etc.

Anyone think there's something wrong with this?!

I'm shocked that we turn out to be water hogs. We aren't! We aren't! Honest...
You needn't stick your head in the toilet, figuratively speaking. Turn off the water valve (if you have one). Our valve is located in the front side yard. If the meter is still rolling, then you definitely have a problem. It seems you do. I honestly don't try very hard to conserve and I avg. 1000 gallons a month. I have a .13 Acre lot. I could not imagine the need for 10x that amount, let alone the residents on the top 10 list. They must have pools and/or massive yards.

Speaking of which, doesn't Tommy grow crops? I like him as an actor, more as a director. Somebody said they saw him at a local establishment signing autographs. Would that place happen to be the saloon/restaurant that's slanted/listing to one side? Saw it on Travel Channel.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:48 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
TLJ loves the polo competition--that is mainly what he does on his ranch--has TWO full size polo fields--and alternates from one day to the next so that the grass can heal...
loves his ponies as well--has two teams so he can really play a match without having to have company...that is some expensive type of hobby...
but in addition to his acting dinero
tommy lee has been hiring himself out as a spokesman for big natural gas producers here in the FTW area lie XTO and Chesapeake Energy--big full-page ads about how wonderful the Barnett Shale drilling situation is in Tarrant county and those around it--
some people are less than happy if they have a rig pounding away 24/7 near their homes or a compressor plant especially if they don't own mineral rights to what is being drilled...

Old 07-02-2008, 10:18 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,534 times
Thanks for the info on TLJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
My water bill is about 10 bucks give or take a buck a month... I am doing my part to conserve...
How many gallong of h20 do you use? Even at 600 gallons for a month last year, I paid more than that. However, Bexarmet bills me for water, and SAWS for stormwater/wasterwater uage. I pay "BMWD SYSTEM IMPROVEMENT FEE " in addition to my water fee so it always comes out to be at least $15. I find it interesting that the improvement fee fluctuates commensurate with my water usage.

Chaka, I did not notice a neighborhood average. I'd be interested to know the range that my neighborhood is in. Are you billed from SAWS for your water? I can't seem to find this factoid.

Last edited by tekka-maki; 07-02-2008 at 10:28 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 10:32 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Do you people just not shower? $10 a month? 1000 gallons a month between 2 people? How can that be?

Old 07-02-2008, 10:37 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Do you people just not shower? $10 a month? 1000 gallons a month between 2 people? How can that be?
I'm glad someone finally said it. I had been thinking the same thing since I saw water use at only 1000 gallons. It's either that or they don't wash their clothes!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:40 PM

Exactly, I can see trying to conserve, and definitely trying to cut back on electricity, but come on! Do you have to not bathe? That's disgusting.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 PM

Even taking one of those so-called hooker baths, where you just get the key parts, is just not acceptable--blech.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:47 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
wonder how often they flush the toilet? that is pretty nasty...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio