Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 01:46 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

Do you think that Olmos Basin Park is the lowest water area in San Antonio?

It always seems to get completely submerged during the big floods we have had. Like the one yesterday (Saturday May 25, 2013) or the one in 1998?

Does it ever get submerged at other times?

Whenever I drive past the area on Devine Road, it always seems so lush and green compared to the rest of San Antonio. I'm not even sure I would want to venture into the walking trail I've seen near the OBP sign near Devine close to where it passes under 281 (just a little north) because I can only imagine the spiders or other creatures that exist in that area. It makes me wonder if it is actually (1) underwater or (2) in a "swampy" condition a lot of times, even during more normal rains.

Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
It's in a flood plain. That's why there's a golf course on that land instead of a subdivision or shopping center.

Think about what a prime commercial or residential location that would be if it were developed. If it could have been developed, it would have. But it's needed for flood control.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:30 PM

271 posts, read 987,690 times
Hence the need for a dam.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:39 PM

232 posts, read 379,653 times
As Bo said, It is a flood plain and is intended to flood, due to the dam that was built after the early 1900's flood that decimated downtown, to hold back the flood waters from Olmos creek and be released slowly so not to cause catastrophic damage to the downtown area.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:55 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
This is why we have the Olmos Dam and the Olmos Flood Basin.
St Marys and Navarro

St Marys St. You can see the water line on the building. Probably got to about 8feet deep in downtown SA. My grandfather said it got up into the second story of the hotel he was staying at.

Travis St. All dated Sept 10, 1921

Old 05-27-2013, 05:34 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,536 times
To answer the original question, the Olmos Basis is not the low point in the runoff of flood waters. It is a "catchment" to avoid or minimize flooding downstream.

Consider that San Antonio International is 809' and Stinson is 577', that is a drop of 232' from the north side to south of downtown. Consider all the runoff from the downpour and flooding is inevitable.

The Olmos Dam prevents in small rain instances, and slows in heavy rain instances, such as we had this time, the deluge going down stream. It can not prevent, nor was it designed to prevent, all flood water from going down stream.

Does anyone else remember the city councilman during the 1998 deluge accusing the city of releasing flood waters to submerge his district? The accusations are happening again.

The dam is to contain and, in so doing, must systematically release the water. The greatest fear is a topping of the dam; thus waters are released to keep the flood waters contained by the dam and prevent that disaster.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:53 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default That is correct,

Most locations on the north side are well over six hundred feet above sea level
there where the Hill Country begins Wil Gar, you are right. Some higher.
There are flood control dams built from limestone all over the north side outside Loop 1604. One near 1604 and I-10 and another on the southwest intersection of 1604 and Culebra where Leon and Culebra Creeks intersect.
I have pictures of these... floodwaters used to tear through really bad around here years ago before these dams were built.
If you go for a hike there off Culebra Rd. , down in the riverbottom you will find what looks like a
paved concrete two lane street 200 feet long fifty feet in the air , in the middle of nowhere. The pavement is the top of a diversionary dam down there to form a temp. flood water retention pond.
I found a mamoth's tooth in that dry creek bank one time , that I still own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
To answer the original question, the Olmos Basis is not the low point in the runoff of flood waters. It is a "catchment" to avoid or minimize flooding downstream.

Consider that San Antonio International is 809' and Stinson is 577', that is a drop of 232' from the north side to south of downtown. Consider all the runoff from the downpour and flooding is inevitable.

The Olmos Dam prevents in small rain instances, and slows in heavy rain instances, such as we had this time, the deluge going down stream. It can not prevent, nor was it designed to prevent, all flood water from going down stream.

Does anyone else remember the city councilman during the 1998 deluge accusing the city of releasing flood waters to submerge his district? The accusations are happening again.

The dam is to contain and, in so doing, must systematically release the water. The greatest fear is a topping of the dam; thus waters are released to keep the flood waters contained by the dam and prevent that disaster.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 AM

321 posts, read 1,069,170 times
Why is 281 still underwater as of this morning? I've been looking at pictures to see if it is just a low point in the highway or is it floodwater that reached all the way to the dam and now started backing up to lower elevations which just happens to run by Hwy 281 & Basse?
Here is a picture from the Express News: http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/21/67/70.../7/628x471.jpg

Here's a Google Street View of the afflicted area: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=basse...180.83,,0,7.02

It seems there are some lower pockets to the right as you're going southbound on 281. Were these meant to catch water and when they fill up they flow over the highway or is it just backed up water from Olmos Dam?
It seems the regulated release of water from the dam is the only way to get the water off 281?

Either way, it seems this portion of the highway should have been built a lot higher.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:59 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
It's still closed? It looks like I'll be taking IH-35 to work for a little while longer.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
I don't think you understand just how large the catchment area is. It's over 33 square miles. Lots of water run off. It extends past the airport to near 1604. Here's the dam after it was completed before we turned most of it to concrete and asphalt which adds to the issue.

If you are at the dam and can look north, you'd see where the waters from a large area are funneled to this small opening. As the water builds in height, it builds in speed which caused all of the damage in previous floods. There's a lot of water that naturally drains via the Olmos Dam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio