Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 07:23 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,826,021 times

Advertisements

My vote is toads. I've got them all over my yard and have been out at night when they've come out. But gosh darn it if the local feral cat didn't get a hold of one and left a nice mess on my patio early one morning. I had to let the dog out and thought I was going to hurl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 08:28 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Do you think it may be a cicada killer wasp? The females catch cicadas, drag them to a burrow they have dug. Then they lay their egg on the cicada and cover up the entrance.

I found a link to them here:

cicadaintro.html (http://ww2.lafayette.edu/%7Ehollidac/cicadaintro.html - broken link)

It shows an example of the hole for comparison. We had a bunch of them next to the house last year burying their eggs. Those holes were about an inch in diameter, too. The website says that the holes can be as much as a meter long, too.
The wasps are not harmful, but are a bit scary for those that don't know what they are.
Hope the link helps!
Cicadas are probably a good possibility. I considered them after noticing the op talked about the fine dirt pile around the holes. Don't recall seeing that around the holes the toads come out of. Toad holes may be a little larger than 1 inch. diameter but they are pretty deep. But I have seen 2 toads in the last couple days.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:36 PM

905 posts, read 2,960,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
My vote is toads. I've got them all over my yard and have been out at night when they've come out. But gosh darn it if the local feral cat didn't get a hold of one and left a nice mess on my patio early one morning. I had to let the dog out and thought I was going to hurl.
Ewe! One of our dogs got a hold of a toad once. You'd think she'd learn, right? NOPE! It took two toads for her to figure out that she needed to leave them alone! On the other hand, our other dog figured it out the minute she mouthed the toad.

Anyway, back to the topic. We have toads all over the place, too. The bigger toads and those little ones that look more like frogs. I find the toads
underneath things where they have buried themselves, but no long tunnels.
Do toads dig tunnels? I have no idea where those little frogs hide. Maybe they are the ones digging tunnels?

Old 08-09-2008, 08:53 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
I find the toads just burrowed into the soil in my potted plants. They may be squatters in something else's hole in the ground. My daughter and her husband lived just outside Floresville and they got these really bright green frogs. They stick to the walls outside and they'll get in your cars. Makes me wanna go giggin'!

Old 08-09-2008, 11:22 PM

679 posts, read 2,834,190 times
My first thought would be snake. My second thought is ground squirrel. I have those all around my house from those little critters.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:08 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,424,644 times
We had toads at my last place, and they dug where ever the soil was soft - we had an old stump in the front yard and they dug around that, but they didn't leave piles nearby...

Old 08-11-2008, 06:25 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,873 times
AFD,

We had one in our back yard until about three weeks ago. Whatever was there must have died because there was an insect "feast" going on. A couple days later I went back to the hole and found the remains of a large stag beetle. After some research, I found that some types of stag beetles do in fact burrow.

My suggestion would be to fill the hole with water and see what happens!

--Dim

Old 08-11-2008, 09:16 AM

129 posts, read 399,840 times
Yes, sounds like the Cicada killer wasp. Had them in my yard B4.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:01 AM

260 posts, read 1,145,244 times
Yep, that picture you posted was exactly what it looked like. Wasps. Cool. ThanKS !!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:27 PM

679 posts, read 2,834,190 times
Wasps that dig holes????? Lordy they must be huge. I'm afraid of anything that stings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio