Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 03:06 PM

657 posts, read 1,936,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0319 View Post

2nd issue... some people are questioning if it is the right thing to do, fix foundation first then fix the leak. The whole problem is that the soil under my house is saturated w/ water and the house is sinking. If we fix the foundation first, then fix the plumbing the soil is going to dry... then (I have been told) it is going to LIFT the house up again and ruin the foundation... But if we fix the plumbing first, and THEN fix the foundation, we risk bursting another pipe. Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!! I just want to rip all my hair out!!!
I don't think I buy that.... It is going from dry to wet that causes the ground to expand and lift the house. Wet to dry should cause the ground to shrink. Your new piers should not allow your house to settle downward as the ground drys.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:13 PM

759 posts, read 3,689,882 times
Default They're jackhammering my new concrete patio as I type...

The awesome concrete patio we had poured, stamped, and stained last April.... I can't bear to go watch.

The foundation people are here; have been since Wed and will probably work all weekend installing 28 piers... They took out bunches of bushes from the front. Some we transplanted to the back and are praying they'll live... some will go back to their original spot (again, we're praying they'll live) and some are going buh-bye... looks like we'll be busy re-landscaping the front.... *sigh*

They're busting through a corner portion of the patio, maybe 2x2'... maybe a bit bigger. I'm hoping DH can build some kind of planter or disguise it in some way. We'll see...

Foundation people are leaving some tunnels open and the plumber (on Monday) will be able to use them (they will have to make them wider, but it still saves us a couple grand...) Then the foundation people will come back and close the tunnels. It's a fascinating process... just wish it weren't my house on my dollar! They dig some crazy deep tunnels!! All by hand!!!

We're crossing our fingers it is just the one leak... One I can live with. Two (or more) would be awful!

Just thought I'd update...

Old 09-05-2008, 01:57 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,931 times
Thanks for the update. Again, so sorry to hear you are having these issues. Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:02 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times
I would recommend taking lots of pictures too

Old 09-05-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
I would recommend taking lots of pictures too
We have been!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 02:56 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
What plumbing co did you go with. When I had mine done we used Legend Plumbing. The did a really nice job except for one small thing. They neglected to slant the main sewer line.... downhill. Well, it's down hill enough that it drains but it doesn't drain as fast as it should. Grease and solids that normally flow out quickly tend to settle and eventually cause a clog. The system was obviously not inspected. I have had no luck with any warranty work and actually at this point I would not want them to chip up the concrete back fill to fix the problem. It would probably do more harm than good. In 10 years I have had to have the main unclogged only three times. The clog is always in the same place so next time I will just go buy a good snake and do it myself from now on. But it's something to consider. #1 stay away from Legend Plumbing and #2 whoever you go with you might have an independent plumber come out and inspect it before they back fill. don't depend on a city inspector. They would probably rather go out for tacos with the contractor, sing off on the inspection at the taco house and forget about it. In the end you will wind up holding the bag.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:42 AM

Moderator cut: Quote removed, see comment

We had work done by Perma Pier... they just finished Saturday so I'm not ready to rec them just yet... however, I will say as of now I am very satisfied. I hope I stay that way!

Last edited by Bo; 09-08-2008 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: Post was moved from a closed thread. Quote from other thread and reference to quote was removed.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:31 PM
lcw

118 posts, read 669,626 times
Lauren, I just sent you a direct message.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,100 times
In Fredericksburg VA we had 13 Helical piers installed under the back end of our house the quote was originally $22,000 but because they had to go 25 feet further than anticipated the end cost was $42,000. Because they did not do our chimney which is on the side of the house, now our chimney is leaning. The company said well the engineer suggested it, but said it wasn't necessary, so we did not do it. If we were told this we would have had it done. Now we are out of money and foundation is still messed up. My neighbor had the same thing done to his house from a different company and the cost for him was $33,000. We are also on shrink soil. Oh and this all happened after only living in the house 4 years, we even had an engineer look at the house before buying the home and the report stated the cracks were only cosmetic, no structural problems.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:46 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio