Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:41 AM

759 posts, read 3,688,852 times

Advertisements

I don't know where to turn or what to do, if anything. We bought and closed on an 18 yr old home last Sept in an area NOT known for having foundation issues. We of course had the home inspected- all clear.

So, about a month ago, all of a sudden the front door started sticking really badly. Then a door upstairs started sticking. A big crack formed in one room, starting at the ceiling. This room is over the garage. The crack continues down the garage wall and along the floor of the garage until it hits our driveway. It's almost as if the front, quarter portion of our home has seriously settled.

I'm slightly freaked but don't really know if I should be. What freaks me out the most is the front door. I cannot open it with one hand, that is how badly it is sticking. I have to use both hands and pull hard.

There are a few other cracks in the walls... I don't know how recent they are but we don't think they were there when we closed. They are only in the front quarter portion of our home.

I know that it's important to water foundation- we have a sprinkler system that goes off every other day... I would think that would be enough??

Does anyone have any suggestions? Does this sound like a foundation issue or settling? Any recommendations on who I should call? We do have a basic home warranty, with American Home Shield but I'm pretty sure that's worthless.

I feel like I need to jump on this... We closed Sept. 12 of last year... so I'm wondering if somehow we are maybe covered for the first year, either w/ the inspector and his insurance (we used a very reputable company here in SA) our home warranty... something..

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ease my mind!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:47 AM

345 posts, read 1,566,282 times
Settling on an 18 year old home? Most likely not. However the foundation will shift if the ground around it either gets too dry or too wet. Either of those been an issue for you lately?

Old 08-10-2008, 10:49 AM

343 posts, read 1,305,041 times
With the drought that we have had here lately, I've read that it is very important to keep the area around the foundation moist.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:58 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,821,312 times
What builder, which subdivision? How old? One story..or two story? How many sides brick?

Old 08-10-2008, 11:48 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,424,653 times
Call Perma-Pier and have them come out and check it for you. They'll do a free evaluation for you and in my experience they've always been truthful if you don't need work. From the sound of it, you've got a foundation issue, but let them confirm that. Watering your foundation is a good long term thing, but it only helps. It doesn't prevent anything 100%. Unless you're sitting on solid rock like Hollywood Park, Stone Oak or the Hill Country, you're probably going to have foundation issues at one time or another.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:11 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
I would get at least 2 if not 3 foundation inspections. The house may well have been sound when you closed, but we have not had a good rain in some time. The dryness could cause the ground to shift. Many areas of SA shift and change.
It also sounds like your ready to go after the inspector. It's been almost a year and the foundation may well have been fine at the time, this is a new occurance. I'd concentrate on getting it fixed, not placing blame for someone else to take care of it.
I've used Alamo Foundation repair in the past. They are honest and will do only what is needed. reasonable price too.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:27 PM

759 posts, read 3,688,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
What builder, which subdivision? How old? One story..or two story? How many sides brick?
Inwood, two story probably 2/3 brick & the rest siding.

No clue on the builder, it was a custom build 18 yrs ago. No other neighbors have had foundation issues. That I know of at least, lol.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:53 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,833,069 times
Perma Pier gave me a quote, $6500, but if you bought a house, 18 years old, inspected, and its settled that much in the last year, sounds a little on the odd side. I would ask for Perma pier to see if the house had recent settling or if this was over many years. If you can prove that this was long term and covered up in the inspection, you may have recourse, if you choose.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:35 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,744,216 times
In my last house we had major settling on one corner of the house and had Olshan come out and repair the damage. They were the only company offering a fully transferable life time warranty if we sold. I was glad I paid the small premium to get the fully transferable warranty as it was a selling point on our house. Olshan did a great job and there was no evidence of any settling after the repair.

If you are not on solid rock - then you are going to have settling with the dry weather we have had this year. The dirt under your slam is just getting dryer and dryer pulling the slab apart. It was so wet last year and pretty average in the years prior...so I doubt this was a known issue by the previous home owner. They were lucky to sell at the right time before things dried out.

I would get it fixed ASAP as this could lead to major plumbing issues if it gets too bad.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:31 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Mke sure you get as good company becuase you don't want to raise it too much. The slab can push the pipes downward over time but raise them too much/too fast and a seam in the sewer can come loose cause alot of problems. I have seen this happen many times in the past with having foundations raised.Often the first clue is a mold problem.I would first try putting a soaker hose about 18 inches from the slab and water overnight. Might have to do it several nightsd and nights will aloow the water to soak in.If it has been exceptionally dry thsi night do it. In really dry climates it is good to have a permanent foundation mositure control put in or do it yourself.You would be surprised now at a certain point the slab will settle because of differnce in moisture. Note that most serves are called foundation stalization for a reason not slab raisers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio