Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 11:27 PM

546 posts, read 1,500,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunetteBeauty View Post
OMG! I remember having gotten away without bathing before bed and waking up with black streaks on the sheets because of my filthy feet! *lol* I also remember going barefoot for so long that I could run around the empty lot in our neighborhood without feeling the rocks, stickers or anything else.
MY sister always ran around barefoot. It used to drive me insane. My dad bought us both Jelly sandals and we had one of those pop up pools with the whales on the side and rainbows... we left our jellies out in the sun next to the pool and when we came back out from lunch they were melted

I certainly miss the carefree days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 11:28 PM

oh do you also remember when parents actually disciplined their children..

Old 07-29-2009, 03:54 AM

87 posts, read 330,631 times
To this day, I catch myself starting to say 'Sigmor', because it was 'Sigmor Diamond Shamrock'.

I was trying like heck to remember just what 'kaknockers' were called! I drove my poor mom nuts with those!

I've gotten lucky finding metal jacks at HEB; I've had less luck teaching my 5 YO to play jacks or even jump rope. Do kids even jump rope anymore?

Anyone remember the hand-slap rhymes? Remember when playing video games was something you did when you were 'old enough' to go in an arcade or were able to whine an adult into taking you?

Old 07-29-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementia_Impaled View Post
To this day, I catch myself starting to say 'Sigmor', because it was 'Sigmor Diamond Shamrock'.

I was trying like heck to remember just what 'kaknockers' were called! I drove my poor mom nuts with those!

I've gotten lucky finding metal jacks at HEB; I've had less luck teaching my 5 YO to play jacks or even jump rope. Do kids even jump rope anymore?

Anyone remember the hand-slap rhymes? Remember when playing video games was something you did when you were 'old enough' to go in an arcade or were able to whine an adult into taking you?
My dad bought us those kaknockers at the poteet flea market i am sure we made him regret it on the car ride home.lol

I havent seen kids jump rope in a long time. Do they even have gym in school anymore?

I do remember the handslap games i think one was called "Mary Mack" all i remember something about silver buttons on her back

Old 07-30-2009, 08:32 PM

38 posts, read 71,017 times
used to buy a pack of BB's in the same area of penny candy for 25 cents
go home put 30 or so in your mouth into the opening of the barrel and
watchout beercans

Old 07-30-2009, 10:44 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,762 times
Bob's got a blog/website...http://www.captainbobsalter.com Looks like he's out of the TV business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFD_Wife View Post
I remember when Bob Salter would start the news with "The Nightbeat begins...right now." All of the women in my family swooned

Old 08-02-2009, 04:21 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,835 times
I remember the early newsmen. Twelve Star Final on Channel 12, then KONO TV had George Sharman, and he was replaced by Tom Ellis. WOAI Channel 4 had Frank Matthews and Henry Guerra. KENS Channel 5 was very late getting into the 10 pm news ring, but other newscasts had Bill Shomette, and Jim Abbot. Gene an Michael Tuck are the earliest 10 pm anchors I remember on KENS.

Jim Dawson was the weatherman on WOAI for a long time, and then he defected to KSAT. Bill Kelso, Dow Sherry, Jud Ashmore were on KONO/KSAT, but Jud eventually went to KENS.

Rangy Clay was THE sports authority on WOAI

Old 08-17-2009, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,621 times
I am passing on info about the Teen Canteen reunion on Sunday. It's at Floore's Country Store and Sam Kinsey WILL be there! A bunch of the bands of the day will be playing, including Homer, Rocksand, the Laughing Kind, Cain's Children, the Zilches, Stillwater and more. There's info about it online - sounds great!

Old 08-17-2009, 04:55 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,839,572 times
I used to go to Grace's Pharmacy across from Peacock Academy on Wilson and Cincinnati. I would buy a cherry faucfate, topp's gum with baseball cards, football cards, etc. My sister would buy candy ciagarettes and puff on them. They created smoke, a white powder and bugged our gossipy neighbor to death. We had a Red & White grocery store next door to the pharmacy, and it had a wooden floor.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:58 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,839,572 times
We were the first family on our block with a tv set in 1950. We would sit on the floor, with all the neighborhood kids over, and we would watch the test pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio