Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 06:01 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,436,237 times

Advertisements

If you want to be offended by something, you'll find something to be offended by.

I'm quite sure that your life has never been made worse by buying a gallon of ice cream or one of Jack's .99 tacos.

You just want attention. Congratulations. You got it.

Now get a life.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:38 AM

31 posts, read 166,755 times
Dear OP,

Run-on sentences and a lack of properly placed capital letters make this Asian-American very, very sad.

I would also like to formally launch a complaint against Univision. All of their programming is in Spanish and all of their hosts are Hispanic! Where is the Asian representation? I am personally offended at this lack of racial sensitivity.

For that matter, what of all those national commercials!? Superbowl commercials are all in English! Considering they are playing on a national level, only 82% should be in English! 10% should be in Spanish, .78% should be in 'Chinese' (approximately 75% of that in Cantonese and 25% of that in Mandarin). After that a further .5% should be in German, .47% in Tagalog and .385% in Vietnamese! Oh but then what about the Koreans or the Russians? You aren't catering to those markets!? Discrimination! Racism! Finger-pointing!

BTW, OP. The census bureau doesn't report 'Mexican-Americans'. Its 61% Hispanic/Latino which, correctly or not, means anybody with ancestors that can be traced back to anything south of the Rio Grande.

Wait, what? 47% of Hispanics/Latinos are Caucasian... as in White... as in 'ole Moderator cut: epithet'?

Yeah. They are. SNAP!

Last edited by Bo; 08-15-2008 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: Racist epithets not permitted under TOS.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:04 AM

141 posts, read 509,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
borden ice cream is elsie the cow. so i would ask you the question, "so ONLY whites buy blue bell ice cream?" next time that you pass the ice cream aisle, just check out those smirking white faces peering out from those ice cream cartons.

man, this HAS GOT TO BE A JOKE POST OR SOME TROLL!!! are you f'n kidding me? [i]smirking white faces[i]? hey look...man, we won the fight...our bronze bretheren are coming over in droves and get better benefits than the lillies do! i mean, surely that's what St. Cesar wanted right? that's why he did what he did, was to make sure that cows of all colors get their fair representation on dairy products...

please, there is no shame in being who you are, be it yellow, brown, white, red, (except pink...no pinkos!!! j/k) and although my point above was meant with toungue firmly in cheek, i'm serious about this point of "racism is everywhere". sure, it still exists, and it always will. as long as people believe whatever misrepresentations about another, it will thrive. but you ask anyone who has served their country with a person of another pigmentation and dodged the same bullets, dug the same foxholes and bled the same blood, if race is an issue...i'd like to know that answer, cuz last time i asked that question my grandfather and father both told me it doesn't mean a damn thing. instead of focusing on the negatives in life, how about we continue to extend the Christian hand of fellowship to ALL of our brothers and sisters, and forget the fat cats who pander to the lowest common denominator. we ALL SUFFER in this world; pain and suffering does not see colors.

now who's box of Gain detergent was i standing on?

Old 08-15-2008, 07:16 AM

8,399 posts, read 23,009,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRose View Post
What in the heck are you talking about? This is what every carton of blue bell I've ever bought looks like:

http://www.bluebell.com/Images/New-C...e-CandyJar.gif

Edited to add: Does Borden even sell ice cream?
I dunno what "race" those cows are; but they sure are huge in relation to the little girl leading them!

Despite the ridiculous topic, there are some great comments posted here. I will try to maintain that standard…

My son is ready to start middle school, which got me thinking about when I went to fifth grade back in the 1970s. As some of you may remember, the concept of “bussing” was big then, as most cities were more segregated and school officials felt it was important for the students to experience other cultures and races. So, I had to ride a bus for over an hour each way every day so I could go to a “black” school that really didn’t have many blacks in it as they were all bussed over to the “white” schools! It was pretty much a failed social experiment but it had the right intentions, and when my own kids started school here I realized why such efforts are no longer necessary. At my sons’ elementary school, I see kids of ethnicities from all over the planet; and it is really cool! Kids today don’t think twice about it, and that shows how our society has progressed in the last 30 years.

Sure, I am not naïve enough to believe there still isn’t some discrimination, the recent thread by someone who was told they wouldn’t be promoted unless they became more proficient in Spanish is another example; but I wouldn’t say it is the reason why there may appear to be a lack of proper representation in local advertising. Most people buy items due to the product, not the packaging; and those who do most likely aren’t aware of any lack of statistical balance, or most likely they simply don’t care. And to suggest boycotting a local business because of it is simply assinine.

Seriously, is this the most troubling thing you have to worry about? If so, you’ve got a pretty charmed life…

Moderator cut: copyrighted image

Cheers! M2

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-15-2008 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: copyright image in quote changed to link... use links, folks!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:43 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,143,749 times
This one has gone far enough. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio