Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:28 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times

Advertisements

1. Should we be nervous about using the Greyhound bus from Austin to San Antonio? (two females, aged 60 & 30).

2. And where is the Greyhound bus station in central SA?

3. Are taxis easily available from there?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 09:37 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times
I've heard that there are many "shady" characters aboard these Greyhound buses these days. That being considered...Austin to SA is not far...just keep your eyes peeled.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:37 AM
djw

951 posts, read 2,834,828 times
I think Sunset Station near the Alamodome is a greyhound transit station. You can probably find it on the bus website. You can get taxis pretty much anywhere downtown pretty easily.

As for being nervous, that can be a good thing. I think with any situation where you are confined in a small space with strangers you should be very alert and cognizant of what's going on around you. Don't lose track of each other, don't leave your purse/bag out and free for-the-taking. If something seems odd, move seats. Shouldn't be a terribly long ride to Austin, so I wouildn't sweat it too much, especially since there are two of you.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:43 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Are you armed?

Just kidding, but I have been by the Greyhound station in S.A. and if you go during the daylight hours you may be alright. But if you can take a friend--preferably male, over 6' and 200lbs--it might not be a bad idea. I don't think the bus has the best of reputations, but I don't have any firsthand experience.

Anyhow, according to Greyhound's web site, there are two stations in San Antonio, one at 500 N St Marys St (78205) and one at 127 Old Hwy 90 (78231). And the Greyhound station in Austin is at 916 E Koenig Lane (78751), which is near Austin Community College and Highland Mall; a few miles north of downtown but not that far. I am sure you can find a taxi from there, but I don't know how much it will cost you.

Good luck, I hope it is a pleasurable experience!

Cheers! M2

Old 08-17-2008, 10:30 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Greyhound in SA is downtown, on Pecan and St. Mary's St.

While it doesn't look beautiful, I've never felt unsafe walking around there. It's basically across the street and a few feet down from Le Reve. Taxis are readily available.

Greyhound has a reputation for having unsavoury characters...it's partially accurate. I probably wouldn't fall asleep on greyhound, but an hour-two hour trip is likely fine. I've taken it in the past, but not lately.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:40 AM

355 posts, read 1,375,116 times
I ridden the bus to austin. I have no problem with it. There may an unpleasant person or two but im sure they arnt out to hurt you.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:51 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Shady characters are on buses from what I hear, but I'd rather be on the ground with a shady character than in the air with a terrorist on board. Some people look bad but aren't and then some look A-okay and are as nuts as can be. They're everywhere.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:09 PM

778 posts, read 2,503,338 times
Just try to be the last ones on the bus so you can select seats away from unsavory types. Try to sit near people who appear to be together - family etc. Don't sit near people who look nuts, or who smell as though they haven't bathed in weeks.

It isn't that far of a ride, so you should be okay.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:52 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,249 times
I'd rather ride an actual Greyhound than a Greyhound bus.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:30 PM

140 posts, read 493,788 times
Wow these posts are kinda ridiculous. I have actually taken the greyhound from Austin to SA once because I got stranded in Austin. It was only an $18 trip. Really short trip, an hour. There are taxis available that wait to pick up people getting off the buses, sort of like a taxi stand. Did not feel unsafe. Sat next to a UT student, there were actually many UT students because I could hear them talking about school/Austin. There were families, students, lot of young people (im young myself).

In Austin the greyhoud station is just north of downtown and quite nice, in a commercail area right off the highway. The greyhound station in SA is downtown, not as new or nice, but lots of people, employees, security around. Never felt unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio