Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:19 AM

905 posts, read 2,958,638 times

Advertisements

Welcome to SA, frootloop6!

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with the rude drivers. We all have had those same kinds of experiences, and I don't in any way condone what they do. I may have an explanation, though. Too often, there are people driving along who do see the lane is blocked up ahead and instead of moving over, they will drive up to the front of that lane and force themselves in. Since you said you had put on your blinker in plenty of time, there were probably others that saw what the other driver did to you and were experiencing less than friendly feelings towards that other driver.

As for the fools that won't let you move to the outside lane when you are just trying to get off the freeway, not only do they do it on the freeway, but also on the streets as well. I don't know what their problem is, but it can range from yacking on their cell phones and not paying attention to being down right just rude.

Remember that SA is a melting pot from all over the US and the world. People who learned to drive in those other areas and bring their driving knowledge here sometimes consider the drivers here stupid and inept. My Illinois-born husband is one of them. Oh, and lets not forget some of the 16-year olds that are on the road with what I consider minimal driving experience prior to getting their licenses. And the cell phone yackers. And probably a host of other annoying drivers that I've forgotten to mention.

Not all of us drive like these bad examples, so don't judge the city of what, 1 million plus, by the few jerks you see on the roadways. You'll find that most of the people, including your check-out line cashiers and store personnel are some of the friendliest people around, willing to help you or offer advice. Since you are new to SA, you have a good excuse to chat with them!

Welcome to SA. Oh -- check out the other message on this forum regarding pronunciation of local names. And ask any questions you may have, you'll sure to find someone to answer you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 06:29 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frootloop6 View Post
Thanks. The rest of my weekend was generally positive. Of course, my real estate agent was doing most of the driving after that first day The people in shops and restaurants were quite friendly (except the super model skinny hostess in 6 inch heels at one Italian restaurant) but I am looking forward to learning the routes around town after I move there so I can make sure I'm in the proper lane at least 5 miles ahead of my exit.

I know that other big cities have driving problems too. I lived in L.A. and the DC area for years. I was very nervous moving back to Washington DC and trying to merge onto the beltway from the left (yes, some interchanges work that way) after living in Germany where the left lane is for passing only (or you'll end up with a 200 mph Porsche up your rear end), but changing lanes in SA seems especially tricky.
Know how you feel I learnt to drive in England - so big change for me.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:47 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
Get used to it. If you want to live here, there are a few things you have to put up with. Bad drivers is one of them.

By the way, I was just in Germany in May, they are starting to drive as badly there as well! And the staus are getting so bad on the autobahns that WFO Porsches are a rare thing...plus they have greatly reduced the sections that have no speed restrictions on them. It was just a matter of time, more cars = less safe conditions so they only factor the authorities can control is the speed.

Cheers! M2

Old 08-27-2008, 07:53 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Welcome to SA, frootloop6!
Remember that SA is a melting pot from all over the US and the world. People who learned to drive in those other areas and bring their driving knowledge here sometimes consider the drivers here stupid and inept. My Illinois-born husband is one of them. Oh, and lets not forget some of the 16-year olds that are on the road with what I consider minimal driving experience prior to getting their licenses. And the cell phone yackers. And probably a host of other annoying drivers that I've forgotten to mention.
!
Good points about the demographics here....don't forget SA is home to a LOT of retirees that are not so fond of our freeways under construction. And speaking of construction, we also have a LOT of that due to the influx of people moving here in recent years. Our inner city and suburb roads and highways are behind the population growth. Keep in mind that road construction and planning often takes about 8-10 years to plan, implement and finish. Lastly, we are a tourist city....so lots of out of towners....as well as Mexican Nationals that didn't learn to drive in this county, let alone this city. Lots to irritate long time residents as well as newcomers to the area.

Still....compared to Austin, Dallas and Houston....SA pales in comparison.

Hopefully all the other pleasant situations will make up for 20 minutes on the highway!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:06 AM

139 posts, read 363,698 times
One of the first things a friend who was born & raised in SA told me before I moved here is....Those rude and disrespectful drivers (most of them), out of their vehicles, are the same friendly people you meet anywhere and would go out of their way to help you any time or talk to you for hours!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:56 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,693 times
You haven't lived until you've driven 80 mph, bumper to bumper, and have someone pull a gun on you to force you to let them into your lane (Houston).

Old 08-27-2008, 09:05 AM

128 posts, read 354,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frootloop6 View Post
I was visiting your fine city three weeks ago to find a new home and got stuck in the "fast" lane driving at about 5 mph past the airport on 410. The lane was closed up ahead for construction and as soon as I realized this I put my turn signal on to move over one lane. That's when Mr. Ford Focus sped up to about 8 miles an hour in order to get right next to me, preventing my lane change. I finally managed to squeeze in just before I would have hit the barriers. Perhaps, Mr. Focus, you would have preferred I side swipe your lovely little car? About a mile further up the road, beyond the construction, I was getting closer to my exit and put my turn signal on to get into the slow lane and prepare to exit. Well, Ms. Big-Ol-Pick-Up decided that it was just not right to move in front of her, maybe because she wasn't exiting, and sped up to prevent me from exiting. This happened one more time before I could finally leave I-410. Three rude drivers in the span of about 5 miles. Do out of state plates mean "abuse me?"

By the time I arrived at my real estate agent's office I was literally in tears. I've been through a lot in the past couple years and this is supposed to be my fresh start. I thought people in Texas were supposed to be nice and friendly. I'm moving out of Arizona to get away from mean inconsiderate people (cheating ex-fiance and cruel uncaring boss) and am wondering at this point why I decided on San Antonio. I love the weather, the cost of living, the fact that you have real malls and stores there, major league sports, night life, etc., but I'm scared because everyone seems to be all about being mean to others. Is it really so hard to let someone into your lane? Seriously? What's the big deal? I hope I just had the back luck to drive near the only three rude drivers in town. What are the odds?
don't take it personal. i'm not from here either and the traffic took me awhile to get used to. yes, people from Texas are very nice, but those rules don't apply on the road. 9 times out of 10, people here don't even USE their turn signals and they are ALWAYS in a hurry. i'd say they drive like they're in a big city, but i've driven in Chicago and even Chi-town is friendlier. Fast, but friendly. all you can do is learn to be more assertive in your driving. use your mirrors, but make sure you are looking over your shoulder a lot when you change lanes. because i guarantee you that as soon as you try and get over, SOME jerk will want to speed up into your spot. so move FAST! lol.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:22 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,454,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
most San Antonio Drivers suck period! most of them are uninsured, uneducated, and plain ignorant. It seems like they find their license on their cereal boxes nowadays. tsk tsk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
wow looks like you live for these internet arguments, I might be undereductated as you say, but I know one thing Im a better driver than you.
First of all, it's not just some...not most...San Antonio drivers who suck, that's anywhere. Around here, it seems that people have no idea that their vehicles come with signal lights, people weave in and out of traffic, will squeeze their way into lanes, not to mention stupid motorcycle drivers and their lane-splitting.

As for you, SVG210, you want to throw out that most SA drivers are uneducated, then proceed to butcher the English language. What gives? Also, has it ever occurred to you that as South Texans, most drivers have no idea as to how to drive on icy roads, which may lead to more accidents? It's also highly doubtful that no accidents occur because of icy conditions in Michigan. Puh-leeze!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:07 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
...not to mention stupid motorcycle drivers and their lane-splitting.
In the six years I have lived here, I have never seen anyone lanesplit on a motorcycle. At least not by what the commonly-accepted definition of lanesplitting is in the motorcycling community. I've seen plenty of guys changed lanes closer to cars than they should; but having lived in countries where it is legal (Germany, Belgium) and having done it in traffic that knows, understands and respects a rider's ability to do so, it really helps bikes move along and not add to the congestion.

That said, the generally aggressive and nasty attitude of drivers around here would make me not do it even if it were legal. It is a shame, as coming out of Brussels in rush hour traffic, which is very congested but still moving at great speed, it is nice to see cars move over to allow you to lanesplit!

Cheers! M2

Old 08-27-2008, 10:37 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,454,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
In the six years I have lived here, I have never seen anyone lanesplit on a motorcycle. At least not by what the commonly-accepted definition of lanesplitting is in the motorcycling community. I've seen plenty of guys changed lanes closer to cars than they should; but having lived in countries where it is legal (Germany, Belgium) and having done it in traffic that knows, understands and respects a rider's ability to do so, it really helps bikes move along and not add to the congestion.

That said, the generally aggressive and nasty attitude of drivers around here would make me not do it even if it were legal. It is a shame, as coming out of Brussels in rush hour traffic, which is very congested but still moving at great speed, it is nice to see cars move over to allow you to lanesplit!

Cheers! M2
Well, here in San Diego, where lanesplitting is legal, it's still a PITA! Motorcycle drivers are just as rude and aggressive as everyone else. Unfortunately, that has also caused me to change the way I drive. If I drive here as I drove in SA, I'd never reach my destination! When I go home for visits, I find myself having to slow down and take it easy and, unfortunately, getting frustrated because other drivers aren't moving as quickly as I'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio