Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:23 AM

504 posts, read 1,457,974 times

Advertisements

anyone prepping anything in their community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 05:09 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,045,611 times
Our community is..........we have a really active Neighborhood Watch, thanks to the leadership of one of C-D's own posters, SilverCreek78250. We have several block parties planned (mine included) but I'm sure he could give you a much more detailed run-down of all that's planned for that night.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:58 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,013,722 times
I do it every year here at my house. Been doing it for about 7 years now. It's great. Nothing big and fancy ( we are a small place, about 50 family's, half show up) Everyone just kinda wonders down with a chair and a pot or a tray of something. We just sit around and visit. ( it's kinda like camping!! ha ha) This year we will be able to have a fire! It's the only time I get to see some of my neighborers that live really far back in the neighborhood. Everyone has such busy lives now and this is a special time they set aside just to get to re- know everyone.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
My neighborhood has a committee that's working on a gathering. I'm curious to see how much of a difference the earlier sunset in October makes in the event.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:04 AM

awesome!, we are having what i thought was a small event. we are having free games for the kids, free hotdogs/hamburger/drinks for about 300 people, the mayor, police chief, fire chief, park police chief, city council member, state reps, local judges, and candidates. Best Buy will be hosting a movie in the gym which is really cool and we are going to have some local wrestling group put on a show for the kids. all in all about $350 worth of donations and a butt load of volunteer time

Old 09-09-2008, 05:34 PM

90 posts, read 354,964 times
cool!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:49 PM

778 posts, read 2,504,540 times
I'm thinking the GNW ought to have a good turnout. Numerous block parties as well as a big one at the GNW Branch Library. We'll have council folk, SAPD, SAFD, Constables, Sheriffs and such as usual making the rounds from party to party.

Our NNO coordinator has gone out of her way loading up on goodies from local (78250) retailers to help out. Our pre-NNO get together will be a potluck event as a final planning deal for the parties in our area. If you are a GNW resident and need more info, feel free to DM me.

Good luck to everyone with your parties. This is a fun time and if you have never hosted one, just bust out some hotdogs and some sodas and sit out on the front porch and see what happens.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 PM

just added alamo federal credit union and some spurs organization volunteers...may have a surprise guest

Old 09-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210 View Post
just added alamo federal credit union and some spurs organization volunteers...may have a surprise guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210 View Post
awesome!, we are having what i thought was a small event. we are having free games for the kids, free hotdogs/hamburger/drinks for about 300 people, the mayor, police chief, fire chief, park police chief, city council member, state reps, local judges, and candidates. Best Buy will be hosting a movie in the gym which is really cool and we are going to have some local wrestling group put on a show for the kids. all in all about $350 worth of donations and a butt load of volunteer time
Wow, that's a very elaborate and impressive plan. IIRC, the city of SA gives awards to groups that go all out for Night Out. Does your group usually win awards?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 PM

we took over a past board who either swindled the donated money away or did absolutely nothing at the community center for the members of the community. when we do things now, we do them big. even founded a scholarship this year.

they do give awards and the last we won was 2000 which was a national award. i made it a point to forget the award and just go all out and if it comes to us it comes to us, but i refused to do the event just for an award. not my style. thanks for the compliments though, those are always good to hear. you are invited if you would like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Wow, that's a very elaborate and impressive plan. IIRC, the city of SA gives awards to groups that go all out for Night Out. Does your group usually win awards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio