Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:21 AM

330 posts, read 937,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsyg View Post
I have been shocked at our SAWS bills. We moved here from Missouri in June and never had bills there more than $100 a month for our family of 4. Our 1st bill here was $170 and it said we used 32,000 gal of water. We do have a sprinkler system here and we didn't in MO, however, I moved a manual sprinkler around the 1/2 acre yard and let it run in areas for 30 minutes at a time. I would have thought that would have used more water than the sprinkler system. We live on a small city lot, albeit a corner lot, and had our 12 sections running for about 10 minutes each 3x a week. I called SAWS and they said they would not check it, and that we must be using too much water. My kids don't even shower each day, my husband travels a lot through the week and we do about 6-7 loads of laundry plus run the dishwasher 2-3x per week. With the rain in July and August we have had the sprinkler system off most of the time with the exception of a run here and there, maybe once every 2 weeks. Our July bill was still high $140 for 27K gal of water, and our August bill is $105 for 20K gal of water. I cannot imagine how we are using that much water. I guess we need to turn off all water in the hosue and go check to see if the meter is running. SAWS made it sound like it was our problem. Is there any way to get them to come out and check things?

Betsy

I had the same usage and called the sprinkler people they found a leak and I was able to submit the repair bill to Bexar met for an adjustment... I'm still waiting to see what they take off the bill i got for 290.00 good Luck !

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-13-2008 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: included quote tags
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 06:43 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Post water usage

For those with Bexar Metro water, they provide a calculator so you can estimate your bill or see how water increases will affect your bill. Bill Calculator | BexarMet Water District

For general rates, here is a link http://www.bexarmet.org/files/financ...ial2008-09.pdf

For consumption, it is amazing how much using an underground sprinkler takes to make your yard green. Even if you use the accepted guidelines of 7 min for flowerbeds and no more than 15 min for zones with grass, you can easily burn through 7,500 extra gallons a month if you use a weekly watering cycle. Some people water twice a week to keep things green (Augstine grass?) and those sprinklers double to 15,000 gallons a month for large yards (acre). Throw in pool, pond, and hot tub filling during the summer and it can be around 5,000 more gallons. Bexar states that some 5% of their customers exceed 25,000 gallons every month.

Reminder too that Bexar's policy on water overages due to pipe breaks is 'only' one pipe break per year. Even then, they may only cut the bill in half (with the receipt, story to rep, etc). We just got some free watering this afternoon on the NW side.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:06 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
Thanks. The guy showed up yesterday and gave me the information on how to adjust the PCV but so far no avail.

UPDATE: I removed that crappy valve and problem fixed! but later I found out that it was easier if I adjusted it, I wish that website showed Adjustment Instructions but since I went exploring I'll share my newly aquired knowlege: First you'll need a set of hand vicegrips (or pressure pliers) and A 5/8 or 14mm socket depending on your valve's brand. and a ratchet. when you open your service port on your side of the property theres a cone shaped valve that kinda looks like a hershes kiss. It has a bolt on top and a hex nut towards the bottom. So take the vice grip and clamp the hex nut, Then hold it with one hand and adjust the bolt with the socket/ratchet. a clockwise turn will result in less water pressure thus more saved water which would lead to a lower water bill. If you turn it Counter Clockwise results in more water pressure, but more water is wasted and your bill will be higher. I was satisfied at my end result because my sprinklers have a wider range now, and the fact that I'm using a water softener.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:11 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Good info, thanks.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 795 times
why is my water supply fee $30.00 every month. are they ripping me off and do i nedd to take legakl action ?

Old 02-04-2016, 09:21 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwise View Post
why is my water supply fee $30.00 every month. are they ripping me off and do i nedd to take legakl action ?
$30 per month for that charge is very high, and would indicate you are a large volume water user, or you have a leak somewhere. I doubt anybody here can give you a better answer, without knowing more details. Best to call SAWS Customer Service, at 210-704-SAWS, and ask if someone there can give you a better explanation.

Do you have an automatic sprinkler system on a timer, by any chance? I've seen some in my neighborhood that literally flood streets, usually late at night, or in the wee hours of the morning. Those people have got to be paying through the nose, for those malfunctioning sprinkler systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio