Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 03:03 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times

Advertisements

And that's the sign's fault?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 03:40 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
There are so freaking many billboards around. Huge ones... it's one of the first things I noticed after flying in.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:04 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,441 times
My opinion: I don't like them at all. Our office is downtown. The other day when it was cloudy, we were trying to figure out what that bright red rectangle was on the horizon. I pull out the trusty binoculars, and lo and behold it was the billboard at Crossroads Mall at I-10 and 410! Now imagine when every billboard is like that. Supposedly (according to the SA Conservation Society and others) the new digital billboard ordinance eliminated the "scenic corridor" provision which means that the nice drive along 281 from the airport to downtown could conceivably be littered with billboards. I just don't see the benefit to more urban clutter and light pollution.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:34 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,736 times
A digital billboard was just installed off 1604 near the new Hill Country Plaza shopping center (near the NW Military Hwy/1604 intersection).

Old 09-13-2008, 07:07 AM

448 posts, read 919,234 times
Digital Billboards are much nicer and cleaner looking than the old billboards around town. I believe from what I read several months ago, for each digital billboard that's added to the SA market two old billboards will come down. That what I remember about the agreement between Clear Channel Outdoor and the city.

Also, out of the four major cities in Texas. San Antonio is the only city testing digital billboards. Dallas, Houston and tech city Austin have denied the use of digital billboards.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:35 AM

778 posts, read 2,503,572 times
I just wonder how the taggers will figure out what kind of paint to use on them.

IMHO, since apparently the cost of these things is low enough to make them financially feasible to use, I'd like to see a place in our downtown (and I haven't figured out the right place) where they could make some sort of Time Square like media center using these billboards. Say a news ticker, a live shot of KENS-5 News (heavy on the Sarah Lucero and Karen Grace) and some other signage with Spurs highlights.

I think it would be pretty cool - and most importantly, it might make some people think we have achieved that all important, World Class City status that is so sought after.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:16 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
I just wonder how the taggers will figure out what kind of paint to use on them.

IMHO, since apparently the cost of these things is low enough to make them financially feasible to use, I'd like to see a place in our downtown (and I haven't figured out the right place) where they could make some sort of Time Square like media center using these billboards. Say a news ticker, a live shot of KENS-5 News (heavy on the Sarah Lucero and Karen Grace) and some other signage with Spurs highlights.

I think it would be pretty cool - and most importantly, it might make some people think we have achieved that all important, World Class City status that is so sought after.
Super idea! (except for the anchor suggestions! ) Commerce and Alamo is a heavy pedestrian corner.....you know, around the "Flame of Friendship?"
The entrance at the corner of the Old Joskes/Dillards building has been closed off for years. I vote for that. Although it would be a shame to cover up that great architecture on that building. Any eyesores with good traffic that need concealing?

Clear Channel....are you paying attention? Make SURE SilverCreek at SACD gets 100% credit for this idea. None of this "oh...we had already thought about that stuff~)

Old 11-06-2008, 08:10 AM

12 posts, read 53,738 times
Red face No more kens billboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post

Seems like the only billboards for local news are for WOAI. I imagine they will be promoting the heck out of their new main female anchor- the one that is coming from L.A. She is a looker!

Also I agree- a billboard with Sarah and Karen would be great...plus Kelly from the morning show. I love watching them and they are smoking hot. Two hottest latina women in the market.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:20 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Supposedly (according to the SA Conservation Society and others) the new digital billboard ordinance eliminated the "scenic corridor" provision which means that the nice drive along 281 from the airport to downtown could conceivably be littered with billboards.
Actually, that is not true. The scenic corridors are still in place and no new billboards can be erected within them. What the digital billboard ordinance did allow was that any existing grandfathered billboards within those corridors could be converted to a digital billboard provided that only minor modifications would be required. The ordinance also specifically subjects those signs to the conversion provisions of removing approximately four existing billboard faces for every new digital face.

http://epay.sanantonio.gov/rfcadocs/...0111093802.pdf
http://epay.sanantonio.gov/agendabui....aspx?RId=1935
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/MYSA120607_08B_DigitalSigns1206_28b104f_html9299.h tml (broken link)

Old 11-06-2008, 11:04 PM

5 posts, read 10,232 times
They're a great addition to the city, especially when they offer useful information and data rather than annoying advertisements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio