Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:45 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,335,117 times

Advertisements

I am suprised no one has mentioned Huebner, well we all know it as HEEEbner not HUEbner like I have noticed so many people lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 01:02 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,714 times
Hey, it could be worse. Dallas is notorious for streets changing names. Like Royal/Miller and Walnut Hill/Kingsley. It was so confusing at first. It was like, I don't remember turning. Indianapolis does this a lot too.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:28 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,244 times
It's Buenas Noches, I thought you were from Texas.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:51 PM

437 posts, read 2,239,180 times
Oh Man, you guys are scaring the heck out of me. I am probably going to be one of those people crashing everywhere when I get there. Why so confusing??

Old 02-14-2007, 02:30 PM

797 posts, read 2,992,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for Texas View Post
Oh Man, you guys are scaring the heck out of me. I am probably going to be one of those people crashing everywhere when I get there. Why so confusing??
Getting frustrated and lost is more like it....

It's the loops that got me, and the frontage roads, I've never lived in a place with such a weird road system. The turnarounds will save you so don't worry to much, just be prepared to take an extra 10 minutes at least to get anywhere, and make sure you know exactly when to exit. For example if you are going North on any of these highways and want to get to something that is near the highway accessed by the frontage road on the West side of the highway you have to exit after you pass it then use the turnaround to go back South on the frontage road to get back to it. If you exit too soon you can't get to it because the frontage roads are one way only and you'll have to turnaround and get back on the highway and then exit as I described before. Did you get that?

BTW the locals think these frontage roads are the next best thing to sliced bread, I disasgree but what can you do.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:17 PM

25 posts, read 113,770 times
Quote:
I would tell friends to pick me up at Blanco and West, and they would never know what I was talking about until I said West AVENUE. How odd that only that one street requires the "avenue" to be understood at all (i.e., you don't have to say Blanco ROAD, or Huebner ROAD, or San Pedro AVENUE to be understood). I wonder why that is...
WEST Avenue is a special street name because it is actually the name of the street, and you say 'West Avenue' instead of just 'West' to distinguish it from other streets like West Commerce Street. In ALL other cases WEST is a modifier to the actual street name.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:04 PM

244 posts, read 1,092,778 times
I'm surprised no one's mentioned I-10 up in far north SA and Boerne. The first time I got off I-10, I freaked out because I saw TWO exits and didn't know which one to take.

Basically, you have to cross over into oncoming traffic when getting on and off the freeway.

Never seen anything like that before.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:06 PM

Oh yeah, and YIELD SIGNS. Self explanatory.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:46 PM

121 posts, read 437,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTSASTUD View Post
Oh yeah, and YIELD SIGNS. Self explanatory.
Yeah, what is up with all the yield signs? There's yield signs on freeway cloverleafs even if on coming and merging traffic has their own lanes. This creates unnecessary traffic and dangerous situations. It should be a merging traffic sign instead.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:01 PM

That's what I want to know...who designed this city's roadways? A bunch of five year olds? Not to be mean, but you don't see all of this in other Texas cities.

And since when does yield mean stop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio