Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:40 AM

244 posts, read 1,092,712 times

Advertisements

I've been watching those shows on HGTV where people buy and flip homes, by putting in modern amenities and cleaning up the yards, landscaping, and other repairs. They then sell these properties for a significant profit.

What areas of SA would be most susceptible to this type of venture? For example, I was looking at smaller properties that are quite cheap, but if everything around it looks like crap, who wants to buy a nice, refurbished home?

Who's done this before? Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 09:07 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Careful, this is a highly risky business. Your best bet is to know (or be) a real estate agent with many years of experience. I have a realtor friend who does a little bit of this in Austin (more on an oppurtunity basis than as a planned activity). Anyway, my own personal opinion of what is required:
  • Have a very good idea pf property values;
  • Have handy-man talent or access to cheap, good talent;
  • Have time to pour time into the property to expedite the flip;
  • Time to sell the house yourself.
My friend only buys a property that he knows is undervalued, usually due to neglect on the part of the current owner. Then his wife, his son, and himself try to fix everything withing a couple weeks. Painting is usually the big thing, along with flooring. Landscaping will go a long ways, too. He is very good at flooring, painting, and landscaping, and would like to be better at carpentry, but sometimes has to hire that out. After repairs, he turns and sells the house himself. Obvioulsy, he never buys a property he is listing himself, since that would be a conflict of interest.

In general, he does not buy property in the lower dollar areas. He tends to be in the moderate ($200k-275k) areas, since these will sell very quickly once refurbished. It is amazing how nice houses can be allowed to deteriorate. Of course, he does not do this for a living - it only comes out to 1 or 2 houses a year. I don't actually know the dollar amount, but he probably can clear 20k to 30k after expenses.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:16 AM

305 posts, read 1,618,608 times
I agree with Trainwreck. This is a very risky business especially with home values deteriorating currently. I looked into it in the Indy area and talked to a few people who had done it and they didn't do it for very long, preferring the rental business over flipping.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:14 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTSASTUD View Post
I've been watching those shows on HGTV where people buy and flip homes, by putting in modern amenities and cleaning up the yards, landscaping, and other repairs. They then sell these properties for a significant profit.

What areas of SA would be most susceptible to this type of venture? For example, I was looking at smaller properties that are quite cheap, but if everything around it looks like crap, who wants to buy a nice, refurbished home?

Who's done this before? Ideas?
If I am not mistaken, a company in San Antonio is regularly featured on one of those "flip" shows. It is either on channel 28 or 29. This would give you an indication of what area(s) they are working on.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:41 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
If I am not mistaken, a company in San Antonio is regularly featured on one of those "flip" shows. It is either on channel 28 or 29. This would give you an indication of what area(s) they are working on.
The Montolongo's, and they usually flip in lower income areas. South and West side according to them.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:46 PM

545 posts, read 2,284,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
The Montolongo's, and they usually flip in lower income areas. South and West side according to them.
Actually, they've kind of been all over the map during the course of the show. There was one house that's on the near NW side, off Babcock Road, and the Bobwhite house is on the NE side, off Nacogdoches.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:54 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
Actually, they've kind of been all over the map during the course of the show. There was one house that's on the near NW side, off Babcock Road, and the Bobwhite house is on the NE side, off Nacogdoches.
Yep. You're right. I remember that episode. The dude is a little too arrogant for my taste, but he and his brother always mention how they flip houses in neighborhoods no one else wants to.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:59 PM

545 posts, read 2,284,041 times
Last time I drove down that way, the house off Babcock was for rent. It's really easy to spot because they put a high wooden fence along Babcock to cut down the traffic noise.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:02 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,392 times
The SA market isn't nearly as profitable as the California market and I'd be really careful with the houses you choose. You really need to know your contrators too, they can be your biggest down fall.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:53 PM

244 posts, read 1,092,712 times
Interesting. What about cheap properties in the '09 area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio