Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:42 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,293,158 times

Advertisements

i think the southtown recommendation should be looked into -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 08:42 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
Go for it!!!!! that building is close to Market Square and walking to center downtown. If you can do it, go. You will regret it if you don't try. I know what you mean about moving. I've said more than once if I have to move, I'm opening the front door and having an estate sale. Downtown is very friendly, safe, and has lots of hang outs that being alone is no big deal...even for a young woman. Move in that building and enjoy the new surroundings and lifestyle.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:44 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,139,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
hmmm....so I am wondering what you like better....your front teeth or your eye teeth I'm thinking your front teeth!?
At this point in my life, they're all about to go!!!!LOL

Go for downtown girlie!!!!

Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,835,272 times
I say go for it. You only live once and you should do that in a place you like! Be smart about your lease and give it a try. If you really don't like it, suck it up, pay a moving company and find something you DO like!
Once you're married with kids, you won't have the luxury of living somewhere with questionable education and no kid-friendly ammenities.
I have a co-worker that lives somewhere on/near the river walk and I get jealous listening to her talk about the neat places she went for dinner, the club she found over the weekend, etc. And all that while on foot - no worries about DUI!
Just remember you can still feel isolated in a crowd. Maybe you can find some club or activity nearby that will broaden your circle a bit!

Old 10-28-2008, 08:51 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
Thanks! I'm feeling a lot better about this decision. I'd hate to not move because I'm just lazy.....and I do think I would regret it. My lease is up in December and I'm moving into the new place January 1st. I only signed a 6 month lease here in New Braunfels.

Sigh....yeah I might have to buckle down and get movers....

thanks a lot for the words! Very good points made!

Old 10-28-2008, 09:01 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,419 times
rgb123:

Given your comments, I really think you've made the right decision to give the Vistana a shot. I live just north of downtown, but am very active in working on downtown "stuff". Plus, the old plant in New Braunfels really isn't walkable to the town square, and even if it were, New Braunfels is just too small to offer the sort of things you seem t be interested in.

1. The Vistana will be both nice and new. Hard to improve on new construction!

2. More cultural opportunities - without question. You're either walking distance or a short street-bus ride ($25 monthly pass for unlimited rides) to everything happening downtown - Museo Alameda, SAMA, everything at Blue Star, Artpace, and all the galleries in Southtown. Plus, you're equally close to the best restaurants/bars for people like you. Get on email lists for Alameda, Blue Star, Jump Start, SAMA, etc. and you'll find lots of ways to meet people.

3. More social opportunities - without question. You're starting to see more and more young professional people choose to live in or near downtown. I know 3 couples who have moved downtown in the last 6 months, and they're all young, have lived in other metro areas, like music/art/culture, etc. It's not yet at a critical mass, but it's getting there, with lots of new projects and businesses. The bottom line is there are plenty of like-minded folks to meet.

You're going to have a blast - this city is really close to having a great, vibrant urban core. It's only going to get better!

Old 10-28-2008, 09:04 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Move to Cibolo or Schertz
Did you even read her post? I don't know any young, educated, progressive people who would ever want to live in Cibolo or Schertz.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:18 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
I live West of downtown, very close but not 'in it'. I would live downtown in a heartbeat if I didn't need/want a yard for the dogs and kids.

I've lived in NB. I know where you're talking about and I think it's awesome that they turned that thing into lofts...

I have a good friend who lives in NB and loves it, but I lived there for 4 years and ... well... blah. I was very bored there, compared to here.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:23 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
I know where you live and love that spot!!!

I live almost downtown - Southtown (hop skip and jump from downtown) and LOVE IT. I moved to southtown as a young single early 30ish female. Am now a married mother late 30ish female, still in southtown and wouldn't change it for any other area in San Antonio.

There are some drawbacks (lack of grocery stores!), but the pros outweigh the cons for me. I definitely don't feel isolated. Quite the contrary. I'm part of a very open, vibrant, dynamic community. I can't comment on how the Vistana will be, but despite what suburbanites think, there is indeed Life in Downtown.

btw - when I chose to move downtown (lived briefly in medical center and northwest), it was because I figured as long as I was in SA, I might as well experience all it had to offer. I wanted to be in the part of SA that made it unique. My experience in the suburbs is that it may as well have been anywhere, USA. I wanted to experience what made it special. And I stayed.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:46 PM

203 posts, read 561,422 times
I would move downtown if I were you. Who wouldn't want tons of restaurants and things to do all within walking distance. There is always something going on. If you get a bike you can be in southtown in less than 5 minutes. The vistana will be an awesome property and I'm sure it won't be the first at the rate they're leasing. I am thinking about moving there as well but I may buy a condo downtown instead. Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio