Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:27 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times

Advertisements

I'm personally glad you didn't get a ticket, but I think it was unnecessary to jerk his chain. He could have been a rookie, or whatever......respect is respect. The cops can be wrong, but there's no need to rub their face in it. A simple respectful exchange explaining how you were within your rights was all that was needed. We don't need stressed out, pissed off cops protecting us because someone decided to be a smart A$$ over something fairly insignificant.

Sorry....but "punking" cops is juvenile.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:48 PM

824 posts, read 457,844 times
Oh I don't know some cops can be more than just wrong, they can be hateful. I got pulled over once for an overdue sticker. I pulled onto a side street and he got mad that I didn't pull over right away. I told him it was for safety and he started yelling at me that I probably have a dead body or drugs in my minivan!! My kids were with me at the time they were 5 and 2 yrs old. There is no reason for that. I have respect for the law (my Dad and Brother are both cops), but not for every cop!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:51 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allylang1 View Post
Oh I don't know some cops can be more than just wrong, they can be hateful. I got pulled over once for an overdue sticker. I pulled onto a side street and he got mad that I didn't pull over right away. I told him it was for safety and he started yelling at me that I probably have a dead body or drugs in my minivan!! My kids were with me at the time they were 5 and 2 yrs old. There is no reason for that. I have respect for the law (my Dad and Brother are both cops), but not for every cop!
Yeah, seriously, a lot of garnering respect is about behaving in a manner that is WORTHY of respect, vs. just expecting people to respect and obey blindly.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:53 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
Hmmmmmmmm, I'll blindly obey anyone with a 9MM or whatever it is they carry on their hip. Call me silly.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:55 PM

Oh I will Obey alright but that doesn't make it right.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:59 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
Quote:
Oh I will Obey alright but that doesn't make it right.
I didn't say I'd bend over and take the ticket blindly, I just said I'd obey blindly. I can fight it in court, or on the scene like a grown-up. I'm not going to get in a cop's face and act like a loon, but I was raised to respect police, not to make a decision based on every individual encounter with one. Yes, there are eager cops, overzealous cops, but bottom line, they're cops.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
but bottom line, they're cops.
and human .....I wouldn't get into it with most people not just because they have a badge.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I am sure that dealing with the public is never easy and they heasr it all just like the tv stops show.People can't even treat each other decently any more in many cases. look at the road arge incidents.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:34 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,136,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubya View Post
I'm one of those crazy people who have considerable respect for law enforcement officers. I'm not a big fan of generalizations about power or incompetence when there are so many good, hard-working cops all over this country.

But even I was floored by the OP's story! It's pretty shocking that the officer still wanted to write a ticket after he could see the brake lights clearly working. For something so egregious, I'd consider filing a complaint. That's unacceptable behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I'm personally glad you didn't get a ticket, but I think it was unnecessary to jerk his chain. He could have been a rookie, or whatever......respect is respect. The cops can be wrong, but there's no need to rub their face in it. A simple respectful exchange explaining how you were within your rights was all that was needed. We don't need stressed out, pissed off cops protecting us because someone decided to be a smart A$$ over something fairly insignificant.

Sorry....but "punking" cops is juvenile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I didn't say I'd bend over and take the ticket blindly, I just said I'd obey blindly. I can fight it in court, or on the scene like a grown-up. I'm not going to get in a cop's face and act like a loon, but I was raised to respect police, not to make a decision based on every individual encounter with one. Yes, there are eager cops, overzealous cops, but bottom line, they're cops.
Quote:
and human .....I wouldn't get into it with most people not just because they have a badge.
I've always respected cops! For God's sake they lay their life on the line every day to try to protect us!! Guess that's why I've only had one speeding ticket, in my 30 years of driving!!! To get respect, you need to give it!!!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
To get respect, you need to give it!!!
I agree 100%. No tickets here by the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio