Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:42 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times

Advertisements

Well. it's a wild guess. Gotta be quite an old aerial shot with 2 water towers next to each other and what looks like a large windmill. Olmos Basin wouldn't be a likely choice for water towers one would think.. Oh and no sign of the Quarry and Portland Cement buildings. Looks like a fail (my guess)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 11:36 PM

263 posts, read 480,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Are you sure that wasn't Delaney's Ice House?
I lived 1 mile from there down Prue rd. Used to ride our bikes up there to get a Big Red.
Bolt's garage was across the street with a huge oak tree on the corner. My dad worked there when he was 17. I have a painting of Bolt's Garage around here somewhere..I'll post it if I can find it.
Here we go....

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...lts-garage.jpg
Hey Tex how's it goin'.Back in April of this year,you had posted a painting of Boldt's Garage with DELANY"S ICE house in the background .Would you happen to have any photos of the area.I would like to sketch and maybe have a friend paint a scenery of both places since my dad traded with Boldts and I worked at DeLaney's.It would be gift to my kids.If you could help,that would be great.If you know anyone who has any baseball photos of JOE STRAUSS fields,now USSA,that would be good too.The fountain area up front was where both fields once stood.Great memories. ALSOLIZ

Old 06-06-2013, 08:34 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert soliz View Post
Hey Tex how's it goin'.Back in April of this year,you had posted a painting of Boldt's Garage with DELANY"S ICE house in the background .Would you happen to have any photos of the area.I would like to sketch and maybe have a friend paint a scenery of both places since my dad traded with Boldts and I worked at DeLaney's.It would be gift to my kids.If you could help,that would be great.If you know anyone who has any baseball photos of JOE STRAUSS fields,now USSA,that would be good too.The fountain area up front was where both fields once stood.Great memories. ALSOLIZ
Hey Al. I will dig thru my old photos and call my dad to see if he has anything you could use.
Might try going to HistoricAriels.com and go back a few years once you zoom in on the location. You can see both buildings going back to the 70's....even back to the 50's.
Sounds like a cool project!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:11 AM

235 posts, read 424,184 times
the wurzbach house today....

San Antonio Early History!-wurzbach-house1-fred-rd-2013.jpg

San Antonio Early History!-wurzbach-house2-fred-road-2013.jpg

San Antonio Early History!-wurzbach-house4-2013.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Actually this does not make sense. The article, or her memory, must be wrong. Nine Mile hill is where Fredricksburg and Wurzbach intersect. That's a mile away from I-10. Both the Wurzbach family estate and the Wolfe's Inn were at the top of Nine Mill hill in 1915, and both of them were not disturbed at all when I-10 was built. And the "Old House on Nine Mile hill" still stands today, it is part of the Wurzbach estate. The first attachement is the house itself as it looked in the early 1960's I think. The second attachement is a terrain map from Google identifying where Nine Mile Hill is (for more confirmation, look at some of Primo's posts on the Gone But Not Forgotten Thread). The last attachment is a Google satalite view of the house today.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:19 AM

235 posts, read 424,184 times
the old wetmore post office. now deserted.

San Antonio Early History!-wetmore-office1-2008.jpg

San Antonio Early History!-wetmore-office2-2012.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Yes it is! At Wetmore and Thousand Oaks. It was still being used as a Post Office a few years ago. Not so sure about it now. It's so overgrown. I used to oogle over the junk shop stuff in the yard, imagining what I'd turn it into!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Oh yes, knew the McArthurs well. My mom used to do Mrs. McArthurs hair when we were growing up.
We lived on the corner of Prue and Oakland. Sure were different times back then.
Was Joe Strausse field the one on Babcock and Hamilton Wolfe? If so, thats where I played little league.
Hey Tex,how goes it? So you played ball too,well the field you played on Hamilton-Wolfe was the new Diamond that moved from FREDERICKSBURG when U.S.S.A. bought the property.Who did you play for?And did you know that Mr.McArtur coached CLIFFS FENCE team,drafted me from JOE STRAUSS while WE were in first place.I still remember my dad standing along the fence next to the dug- out.He loved baseball.The only trouble I ever had with a pitcher was one that pithed for REDLAND-WORTH,caught low and inside to the knee,I limped to 1st.For that,Next time up,hit a homer with two men on base.Sorry it took so long to get back. AL

Old 06-25-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylpearson View Post
Hey DP,how's it goin'.Iwas wondering if by chance you have any photos from your collection of WQLF'S INN, and the property before USSA took over since I lived
at 8041,and 8224 Fredricksburg RD from 1967 to 1975.Also,any pic for the intersection of Huebner and Wurzbauch Rd?Sure would appreciate it,Iam working on a project for my kids,part of my bucket list.Thanks ALSOLIZ

Old 06-25-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Yes, I have seen similar photos on display at Stinson. Does anyone know if the Tex-Mex restaurant there closed down for good? Any new plans for something else there?

Is that aerial view of San Antonio possibly of Olmos Park and specifically Alameda Circle with that nice house in front of it?
Could it be that business at LOC-HILL SELMA at HUEBNER that looks like an old farmstead?

Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 PM

216 posts, read 398,899 times
The photo of the "farm house" with the two water towers I would swear belongs to a very good friend of mine I don't want to say exactly where without talking to him first but it sure looks like his place. It was built I believe in the 20's or early 30's it located out highway 16 on the left of the road about halfway from SA to Bandera. I'll have to send this to him and see if he agrees. It has the same circle in the drive way, one of the water towers is still there and there is a small spring feed creek to the right of the dwelling on the other side of that rock wall.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:25 PM

216 posts, read 398,899 times
I just went to google earth satellite and pulled up my friends ranch and that is definitely his house on the previous page posted by ranchodrive. There are a lot more trees for sure, I can't wait to send him the link he'll be surprised. The entrance gate to the house doesn't sit on Bandera rd (hwy16) it's about 3/4 mile from that highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio