Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Antonio, Denver or Salt Lake City
San Antonio 14 73.68%
Denver 3 15.79%
Salt Lake City 2 10.53%
Other - Please include in post 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 03:58 PM

11 posts, read 23,438 times

Advertisements

We need to move my consulting business to a larger metro area and are considering the above mentioned cities. Denver, San Antonio or Salt Lake City. We live in Southeast Idaho and enjoy the open spaces and would like to find a family friendly area (we have 5 kids under 11 yrs old). So I would really like feedback on surrounding areas that are no further than a 45 minute commute from downtown areas. We would prefer to find a place on 1+ acres and our budget is no more than $600K.

If you have other cities you think would be great, please include them in your post. Appreciate the help!

OP's original thread -- Moving to San Antonio area. NEED SPACE! -- combined into this one thread since so many of you had already replied to some of these same questions:
Quote:
We are moving from a rural community in Southeast Idaho to San Antonio. We live out in the country on 2 acres and would like to find an area just outside of San Antonio that has homesites on 1+ acres. We have 6 kids and are hoping to find a community that has great schools (Public and private), Christian friendly community, low crime, etc. I've researched a few areas around San Antonio but will not mention them so I get unbiased feedback from the forum. I would appreciate any information you can provide me before we look for housing within the next couple of weeks. Thanks for your input in advance!

P.S. We are looking to spend no more than $550k and I'll be moving my market research business close to wherever we end up. So I'm looking for an area that has some small businesses located nearby. Thanks!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-27-2008 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: duplicate questions in two threads combined
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 04:34 PM

554 posts, read 2,309,320 times
I would look in Floresville, Castroville, or Pleasanton. Spring Branch and Canyon Lake also fit the bill, but the land up there is pricier.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:51 PM

Thanks. I'll look at all of those areas. Do you live in any of them?

Old 11-24-2008, 06:36 PM

154 posts, read 631,337 times
Try Boerne, just north of SA. Really nice small town, nice people.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:52 PM

385 posts, read 627,291 times
I live near 1604 S & 16 south. It's really nice and quiet out here. My parents were able to buy a couple acres at a very good price. It's still pretty quiet out here even though Toyota opened up a new plant a few miles away.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:14 PM

592 posts, read 2,026,652 times
South/south east of san antonio is going to be cheaper but not as nice as north north west of san antonio.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:56 PM

Thanks! I've looked at Boerne and we like what we see so far. Does someone know how the schools are in and around Boerne? How about the Stone Oak area?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:52 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,729,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmgmt View Post
Thanks! I've looked at Boerne and we like what we see so far. Does someone know how the schools are in and around Boerne? How about the Stone Oak area?

Schools in both areas are great. Both have new to brand new schools depending on where you buy. Boerne ISD just opened Boerne Champion and the Stone Oak area has Lady Bird Johnson for the most northern NEISD (Northeast ISD) students and Reagan for the farther south Stone Oak area. You probably won't be able to get the space you are looking for in Stone Oak though.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:54 PM

436 posts, read 1,615,390 times
well, that depends on what is important to you. scenery? climate? schools? cost of living? type of home? religion? local business to support your consulting?

all 3 cities are nice, but they have different things going for them.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:22 PM

Good point "needsomeinfo." I know Salt Lake wins the prize on scenery. Denver wins the prize on climate and San Antonio and Texas as a whole has the highest rated schools. So the first three cancel each other out. I'm Christian (LDS) and religion is important to me but we enjoy diversity and mingling with other faiths. Obviously Salt Lake has a lot of LDS but that isn't necessarily a draw for us. We get a long with anyone and would be open to areas that have a small LDS population. Cost of living is important and San Antonio seems to be the most affordable of the three, although there are a lot of short sales happening in Salt Lake and Denver. My business is a home health care consulting company and Texas has the most home health care's of either state...by far. However, I lived in Memphis for a couple of years and the humidity was a bit challenging and that is the only draw back I see with San Antonio. Although I think we would adjust. I've never been to San Antonio but have heard great things. Of the three, San Antonio is the place I know the least about but from the other posts, seems to have the best reviews.

In a nutshell, all those things are important. However, cost of living, local business support and schools are the most important. From an outsiders view, it would appear San Antonio has the edge? I'm still not 100% sure of this and this is why I'm seeking input from those who live or have lived in these different areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio