Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New subdivision infrastructure problems: post office, landline installation, U-Verse, Google Maps

Old 12-09-2008, 04:23 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,198 times

Advertisements

My family moved into a brand new house the week of Thanksgiving. We were the first house on a new street in a new section of our subdivision and man, the problems of being first!

1. The post office did not (and still does not) have mailboxes in the area yet and therefore we still have not gotten mail. At first, the PO did not even know our street existed, so mail was being returned to sender. At least now they're holding our mail, but it's a chore to go down to the PO to pick it up. Still have no idea if FedEx or UPS will find us to deliver our Christmas orders.

2. The Express-News still hasn't been able to get us a carrier, even though they deliver to houses a block away.

3. The worse has been AT&T. After being told they did not have U-Verse in my area (which is BS since the rest of the neighborhood does), all I wanted was a simple landline for my alarm, which they said was no problem since they had a service pedestal behind the house. But for whatever reason, they could not get their act together. Four times they broke appointments to come out without any calls explaining why, and today when I called them to find-out what was going on after the latest time being stood up, I was passed to four different departments (having to hold for several minutes each time), and after holding for 15 minutes at the last one, finally got an automated annoucement that they had closed for the day! DING! Cancelled that order and went with Time-Warner, who has had a neighborhood rep working with us from the beginning, had our cable and Internet hooked-up within a week of moving in, and now will have us a phone line within a few days.

However, the good news is that the City had no trouble finding us to drop off our trash cans (and pick up the trash and recyclables on the appointed days). Otherwise, that could've been a real mess.

Still afraid to try and have a pizza delivered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 04:25 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,448,856 times
Sorry to hear about the new house woes...but happy to hear that you are settling in to a nice new home for the holidays!

Keep the good sense of humor and someday this will all be funny "war stories"...

Old 12-09-2008, 05:03 PM

431 posts, read 1,203,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
3. The worse has been AT&T. After being told they did not have U-Verse in my area (which is BS since the rest of the neighborhood does), all I wanted was a simple landline for my alarm, which they said was no problem since they had a service pedestal behind the house. But for whatever reason, they could not get their act together. Four times they broke appointments to come out without any calls explaining why, and today when I called them to find-out what was going on after the latest time being stood up, I was passed to four different departments (having to hold for several minutes each time), and after holding for 15 minutes at the last one, finally got an automated annoucement that they had closed for the day! DING!
I completely know how THIS feels! Back in OCTOBER, I ordered U-Verse thinking ABC was going to get the boot on Time Warner. No other reason for the change, but I was looking forward to having multiple DVR viewing capability throughout the house.

I was given an installation date for 3 weeks after the date of the online order I placed (installation was scheduled for Oct 30). Guy called early that morning and said he was ahead of schedule...called an hour later and said I needed an "update" to my lines, but that it would only take about 2 hours. Long story short, THREE visits later, and 2 phone calls totaling 2.5 hours of my time on hold...I still have not had any AT&T service. The saddest part about it is that I have not received a single call from them to follow up on any of this.

Good for you for going with Time Warner. It is sad that I even have to say those words, because I have never been a fan of TW either.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:07 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,229,965 times
Quote:
3. The worse has been AT&T. After being told they did not have U-Verse in my area (which is BS since the rest of the neighborhood does), all I wanted was a simple landline for my alarm, which they said was no problem since they had a service pedestal behind the house. But for whatever reason, they could not get their act together. Four times they broke appointments to come out without any calls explaining why, and today when I called them to find-out what was going on after the latest time being stood up, I was passed to four different departments (having to hold for several minutes each time), and after holding for 15 minutes at the last one, finally got an automated annoucement that they had closed for the day! DING! Cancelled that order and went with Time-Warner, who has had a neighborhood rep working with us from the beginning, had our cable and Internet hooked-up within a week of moving in, and now will have us a phone line within a few days.
U-Verse availability can be spotty even in neghborhoods where service is active. Still, I wouldn't think it would be a problem in an area where the infrastructure is new.

I hear you on the long wait for a landline installation. When part of a neighbor's tree fell on the overhead phone line that serves my residence, it took AT&T (then SBC) two full business days after I reported it to send a technician out to re-string the severed line.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:09 PM

657 posts, read 1,936,223 times
Quote:
My family moved into a brand new house the week of Thanksgiving. We were the first house on a new street in a new section of our subdivision and man, the problems of being first!

1. The post office did not (and still does not) have mailboxes in the area yet and therefore we still have not gotten mail. At first, the PO did not even know our street existed, so mail was being returned to sender. At least now they're holding our mail, but it's a chore to go down to the PO to pick it up. Still have no idea if FedEx or UPS will find us to deliver our Christmas orders.

2. The Express-News still hasn't been able to get us a carrier, even though they deliver to houses a block away.

However, the good news is that the City had no trouble finding us to drop off our trash cans (and pick up the trash and recyclables on the appointed days). Otherwise, that could've been a real mess.

You might want to check if google maps or mapquest know your address yet. That could be a reasonable indication if Fedex or UPS will find it since obviously it has made it into some database....

Old 12-09-2008, 08:16 PM

77 posts, read 221,425 times
Sorry to hear your AT&T woes.

I moved into a new house on a new street about 10 months ago (though I wasn't the first one on the street). The GPS in the car doesn't have my house, Google Maps routinely can't find my house, and about every time I order pizza the delivery guy has to call for directions. Though I never had any trouble with AT&T. However, it did take them a month or so to figure out they could offer me service.

I don't have any advice to offer other than to have good, detailed directions handy and preemptively offer them to everyone. Each service that discovers your new address is a victory.

We're still not 100%, but I'm used to it by now. I love my house and my neighborhood, so I guess it's worth it.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:53 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,666,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc hokie View Post
Sorry to hear your AT&T woes.

I moved into a new house on a new street about 10 months ago (though I wasn't the first one on the street). The GPS in the car doesn't have my house, Google Maps routinely can't find my house, and about every time I order pizza the delivery guy has to call for directions. Though I never had any trouble with AT&T. However, it did take them a month or so to figure out they could offer me service.

I don't have any advice to offer other than to have good, detailed directions handy and preemptively offer them to everyone. Each service that discovers your new address is a victory.

We're still not 100%, but I'm used to it by now. I love my house and my neighborhood, so I guess it's worth it.
When I moved into my house, it was already 2 1/2 years old and all the houses were already built. Yet, I still got calls for directions for another 2 years!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:17 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
Quote:

New baby, new house, and you can still afford PIZZA?!?!?!?!?

Congratulations, and enjoy it all! Before you know it, that baby will be sassin' you, you'll be replacing the A/C unit, having the exterior repainted, and getting tickets for leaving your trash cans out too late. It just doesn't get any better than that!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty12 View Post
You might want to check if google maps or mapquest know your address yet. That could be a reasonable indication if Fedex or UPS will find it since obviously it has made it into some database....
Yep, I've been checking them all. The City of San Antonio and Bexar-911 have us on their maps (really glad about the latter), but no one else yet, including BCAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc hokie View Post
Thanks! Yep, I've kinda figured that out. Whenever I give my address to a delivery or service company, I always tell them to call for directions, and I made a nice map in Visio that I can e-mail or give people as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
New baby, new house, and you can still afford PIZZA?!?!?!?!?
Not for much longer!

Quote:
Congratulations, and enjoy it all! Before you know it, that baby will be sassin' you, you'll be replacing the A/C unit, having the exterior repainted, and getting tickets for leaving your trash cans out too late. It just doesn't get any better than that!
Thanks! I'm looking forward to it all!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio