Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:37 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times

Advertisements

For our next house we are going to probably put in that fake grass that looks like real grass but obviously, doesn't require watering. A lot of places in Arizona and the desert in CA where I came from are using this new fake grass. It's definitely worth looking into if you want a green lawn year round without the expense, maintenance and water consumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 12:27 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Hi CS.......wow...not much can get prettier than Kentucky Blue Grass.

The most common grass you'll find here is "Johnson Grass" or "St Augustine". It can be sodded in solidly, or by using grass "plugs". It is not a "seed" grass....it grows across the top of the soil and spreads roots like a network of vines. When kept bug free and well watered and trimed it makes a hearty green lawn. But...it is not lush like KBG or Fescue or Zoysia. It doesn't always go dormant in the winter if we have enough rain and the temps are mild. But when it dies completely it is pretty ugly....but then most dead lawns are!

PHM has suggested a great option of incorporating xeriscaping with your landscape. Some people use a mixture of xeriscaping areas and keeping smaller areas of lawns. Of course trees will effect the condition of your grass.
Even Johnson or St Augusting don't like it too shady. Best to talk to your landscaper or find a good nursery that can advise you on what will work for your property and likings.

Another good source of info is the local Botanical Gardens!

Old 04-03-2007, 12:30 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
For our next house we are going to probably put in that fake grass that looks like real grass but obviously, doesn't require watering. A lot of places in Arizona and the desert in CA where I came from are using this new fake grass. It's definitely worth looking into if you want a green lawn year round without the expense, maintenance and water consumption.
Are you serious? Gosh....I would love to see this. Is it pretty? Do you have links to any web sites that sell this?

Old 04-04-2007, 09:09 AM

4 posts, read 11,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Are you serious? Gosh....I would love to see this. Is it pretty? Do you have links to any web sites that sell this?
I was also curious about this. After a little looking around I found this website. It's pretty good. There are several pictures of residential and commercial applications. Interesting......

http://www.synthetic-turf.com/appsLawnsResidential.asp

Old 04-04-2007, 11:01 AM

443 posts, read 1,506,303 times
Quote:
how will it handle dog ****? can it get cleaned?

Old 04-04-2007, 11:10 AM

Not sure. I know you can hose it down to clean it, but I'm not sure about the dog poo issue. I can look into it. I don't have dogs or cats, so that was not even a concern for me. But I will check it out and see if I can post some kind of link or info.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:19 AM

Okay, you can go to a site called Back Nine Greens .com to see what the grass looks like. Apparently you don't even need to hose it down to clean it, you just use a leaf blower. You can do a search of artificial grass to find a whole bunch of info on this type of grass.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:16 PM

215 posts, read 985,406 times
Quote:
Okay, you can go to a site called Back Nine Greens .com to see what the grass looks like. Apparently you don't even need to hose it down to clean it, you just use a leaf blower. You can do a search of artificial grass to find a whole bunch of info on this type of grass.
why r u moving back 2 california? didnt like texas

Old 04-05-2007, 10:50 AM

244 posts, read 1,092,778 times
I'd like to see all of San Antonio look like this. I mean, there's hardly any greenery ANYWHERE near the highway system, or any major roadways.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:39 PM

35 posts, read 121,101 times
---------------------------------------------------------------
Spring's in Bloom!

Join us Saturday, March 15 for the SAWS Spring Bloom.

What: SAWS Spring Bloom
When: Sat., March 15, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Where: SAWS Headquarters, 2800 US Hwy. 281 N. (at Mulberry Ave.)
  • Fun, FREE day about gardening and more
  • Great tips to help spruce up your yard and save water
  • Appearances by your favorite gardening and radio personalities
  • Plants for sale
  • Free drought-tolerant plant for first 1,500 guests*
  • Free parking
*One drought tolerant plant per adult while supplies last

<Schedule of Topics and Speakers>

Speaker's Tent - A
9:15-10:00 "Helpful Hints for Healthy Grass" by Calvin Finch
10:00-10:45 "Practices for Drought and Water Conservation" by Nelson Diarte
10:45-11:30 "Earthkind Practices and Roses" by Lou Kellogg
11:30-12:45 "The Way for Plant and Soil Health" by Malcom Beck

Speaker's Tent - B
9:30-10:15 "Texas Super Stars" by Dr. Jerry Parson
10:15-11:00 "Tough Plants for Tough Times" by Paul Cox
11:00-11:45 "Plants for Thin Soils" by Janis Merritt
11:45-12:15 "Irrigation System 101" by Kendall Chileck
12:15-12:45 "Good Bugs and Bad Bugs" by Molly Keck

SAWS News: Spring's in Bloom!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I found this info on SAWS official website. Sounds interesting.
I really need to green up my yard so I might go check it out. (I want to get a free drought-tolerant plant, too!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio