Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 09:27 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Great articles BigDogsTX!

I remember traveling around Europe and shopping at little grocery stores for food. Saved me a lot of money by buying groceries instead of going out to eat everyday.

Grocery stores don't have to cater only to residents. Tourists can go there too.
I think there is enough of a market downtown. With the Vistana, Vidorra, and Alteza Condos (at the upper floors of the new Grand Hyatt), I think a small grocery store will do just fine.
Well, then........just open one!

Oh........you want someone else to do it! I see....

Old 12-25-2008, 12:50 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
It's all about the laws that they pass,

BTW, I noticed that there's a ..... I think is a Walgreens by the Riverwalk, it's very close to Rainforest Cafe.

The key is (1) Pass laws to ensure that all the stores are small (2) Pass laws to ensure that big business don't take over the place, for example, they could require all those stores to be owns by people in the city.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:04 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
I just realized how many grammar and spelling mistakes I made in my first post. Sorry about that.

Chaka, I would love to see such independent shops however downtown should be geared more towards locals. Lets face it, the average San Antonio family would rather shop at chain retailers as they have the means to keep their prices lower. Independent shops would be a draw to some, but wouldn't make downtown a shopping destination for all.
People in the suburbs aren't going to come to shop downtown unless there's something different on offer. Why drive downtown to go to Ross when you can find one all over 410/I-10/281/1604? There have to be shops you can't find elsewhere to draw people in.

I think the retailers (or rather, city planners working on bringing business in) need to figure out who the real market base is likely to be and focus on the retailers that appeal to that base - i.e. downtown residents rather than suburbanites.

As much as I'd prefer independents, I recognize that's not likely to happen, too hard to make a go of it really. However, there are a wide range of options between independent boutiques and Ross/Target.

As for a grocery store - as much as I long for one, I think it'll be awhile before one can really survive. However, I think it has to be one that really makes a go of it. Hippos has cut their store in half, but even at double the size, the offerings were slim - aimed more at being a large convenience store rather than a small grocery. In any case, I don't think the density is quite high enough yet for a grocery store to really make it. Once the new condos start to fill, it may be likely.

Rumour I heard was the HEB was moving away from smaller stores and focusing on their large suburban stores. As much as I loathe Walmart, their neighborhood grocery concept would be welcomed here.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:28 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
People in the suburbs aren't going to come to shop downtown unless there's something different on offer. Why drive downtown to go to Ross when you can find one all over 410/I-10/281/1604? There have to be shops you can't find elsewhere to draw people in.

I think the retailers (or rather, city planners working on bringing business in) need to figure out who the real market base is likely to be and focus on the retailers that appeal to that base - i.e. downtown residents rather than suburbanites.

As much as I'd prefer independents, I recognize that's not likely to happen, too hard to make a go of it really. However, there are a wide range of options between independent boutiques and Ross/Target.

As for a grocery store - as much as I long for one, I think it'll be awhile before one can really survive. However, I think it has to be one that really makes a go of it. Hippos has cut their store in half, but even at double the size, the offerings were slim - aimed more at being a large convenience store rather than a small grocery. In any case, I don't think the density is quite high enough yet for a grocery store to really make it. Once the new condos start to fill, it may be likely.

Rumour I heard was the HEB was moving away from smaller stores and focusing on their large suburban stores. As much as I loathe Walmart, their neighborhood grocery concept would be welcomed here.
Three main problems with "neighborhood" stores downtown....and by that I mean a fundamental grocery, meat market, fish monger, dry cleaners, drug stores etc....etc to support downtown residents without relying on "tourists".

1) Parking....which has skyrocketed and out of control!
2)Crime and vagrants ....requiring tighter security for the store owner AND the patrons.
3) Cost of property...either to buy or rent!

All of them NOT favorable to a "mom and pop" boutique-ish type business. These added costs would be passed on to the customers....basically making it upside down in providing affordable goods and services. Not that it can't happen....but they couldn't survive on one portion of King William to support the higher cost of goods. The spending base for downtown residents is just not strong enough or big enough to keep these places afloat for everyday needs.

Now....as an incentive....the CITY could subsidize some of the extra cost of doing business to draw this kind of commerce into downtown. Someone who lives there and has a stake in it might want to contact our city manager or the city council to petition for this kind of funding. The type of business would have to be limited to businesses outside of the tourist center and cater to the residential needs. Home Depot or Lowes could try a pilot store with more limited inventory. Most things can be ordered online and shipped to specific locations just like other stores. It would be a start....a test program to see if it takes off. Anything that supports the growth and commerce and jobs to the local residents is progress.....and stimulus this city needs. (I promise not to get started on funding the Convention Center! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio