Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts

Advertisements

They're also finally remodelling the Junior School and the High School over there. That's going to do a lot for their image, because even though the academics are great, the physical plant didn't stand up compared to something brand new like Reagan. We used to joke that it looked like a giant 1950s bathtub on the inside of the High School.

Also, state champion football team!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 3,132 times
I am currently a student at Business Careers High School in NISD. Truly and honestly, I hated my elementary and Middle school years. I fought through various bullies, and several racist teachers. The experience to say as a whole was terrible. Rules permitting the prohibitive of bulling were pretty weak as well as the Behaviors of several teachers. On top of all of that, the schools seem to place a lower budget on cafeteria food each year, often serving left over meat from three days ago. Business careers isn't as bad as the other schools in Northside ISD that I've attended but the curriculum and academic strategies are poor and often found unfair. For instance, midterm exams must be taken after a two week winter break rather than beforehand when all the knowledge is still fresh in your mind. This has, as I've seen encouraged many grades to drop, failures to rise, and drop outs to leave.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:04 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myaira View Post
For instance, midterm exams must be taken after a two week winter break rather than beforehand when all the knowledge is still fresh in your mind. This has, as I've seen encouraged many grades to drop, failures to rise, and drop outs to leave.
Calendars (academic/testing) are set by the district, not the schools.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:18 AM

841 posts, read 1,747,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
They also tend to align with other school districts as well. My child, who is in middle school in another district, ALSO had semester exams take place after the holiday break.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:30 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
If you can't remember what was taught 2 weeks ago, what are you going to do when you need to recall what you were taught 2 YEARS ago?

Old 01-27-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Exactly that's what I'm saying. It''s not just my school it's the entire district

Old 01-27-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
If you can't remember what was taught 2 weeks ago, what are you going to do when you need to recall what you were taught 2 YEARS ago?

I see your point there, and I agree, it's just that during the holidays you don't want to freak out about exams or study until you drop. It is called winter break after all. Some people either forget or choose not to study at all. Although that may have been a poor choice and consequences are attached, you still have to recognize that if the exam had been given two weeks earlier, there may have been more required time for studying like in class rather than it intruding the time you should be spending with family and friends.

I appreciate your comment and viewpoint!

Old 01-27-2016, 11:01 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Myaira, You have me remembering my days as a student with San Antonio School District. I'm 69 so that would put elementary school in the 50's. Our cafeteria wasn't the greatest back then either. We had Monday meatloaf which had about half of the meat mixed with bread and mushed together to make "meat". On Tuesday we had hamburgers. I think they used the leftover hamburger from the meatloaf and mixed even more bread in the "meat. If you were lucky, you got a dime size dollop of mustard, otherwise a dry hamburger. Mayo and other condiments were not available.Then there was Mexican Wednesday where the special was Frito Pie. A hand full of Fritos in a bowl covered with canned chili with a small side of beans and rice that had enough tomato sauce on it to turn it kinda red. Then there was Spaghetti Thursday. They apparently used the leftover tomato sauce on the spaghetti and you might even get a piece of a meat ball although it more than likely was leftover meatloaf rounded into a ball. And then the week rounded up with Fish Stick Friday. That doesn't need any explanation. Since I had 2 girls come up in NISD, I got to eat in their cafeterias at various NISD schools from elementary to high school and that includes Health Careers. While not gourmet by any means, it was better than what we got when I was a kid. Your perspective might be a tad off and maybe you had better expectations but the meals are well balanced. You also have to consider, a lot of the kids don't get home cooked meals at home- my nephews 2 girls certainly don't. Most often their idea of a meal is a stop at McDonalds and eat in the car....which smells like a garbage dump. That's not nutrition, that's junk food. So while not a 5 star eatery, school food is a good meal for most.

Sorry you've had any bad experience with racial remarks. But let me give you a hint- get used to it. If you think life is all about being fair, you have wrong thinking. As you get older the remarks, regardless of your skin color and yes that includes whites, will get a lot more vicious. You will probably have some dimwit get in your face an spout off a bunch of racial crap. Your ONLY response should be "God loves you and so do I". No need to play kissy face, just go on with your life. The key to being successful is learning how to deal with issues. Racial BS is just another issue. Deal with it and go on. Your too old now to play "sticks and stones" even though there will be folks older than you that have never grown up. ALWAYS be the better person and show personal pride in who you are. You don't have to be arrogant about it, just be proud of who you are and what you have accomplished.

Don't sweat the tests. The idea is not only to find out what information you have retained for the long term but it also gives the school an indication of the quality of a teacher. You're probably thinking the test is all about you and what grade you'll get but it's also about how the teacher is performing. A teacher with a consistent low grade classroom average is obviously not a good teacher. This is how the districts weed out the bad teachers. You might think, as most kids do, that why is algebra important or even history. History lets you see what has happened in the past and the consequences of it. That will come up again in your lifetime and you'll be aware of what the consequences will be. History does repeat itself. Algebra teaches you to think outside of the box, to think in abstract form. AS technology gains in our society, algebra and those that can grasp it are going to be in demand with high paying jobs. I personally make a decent living at thinking outside of the box in the construction industry. There are a number of things that came off of my desk that are now industry standards and it's all due to being able to think from a perspective that most can't grasp. Algebra taught me that.

Stay in school Myaira. Get that diploma and go to college. Pick an industry that you love and you'll be happy all of your professional life. The best is yet to come, I guarantee it.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:58 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myaira View Post
Exactly that's what I'm saying. It''s not just my school it's the entire district
But your post complained about about the curriculum and academic strategies of Business Careers HS as compared to other NISD schools.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:22 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,618,395 times
Quote:
Sorry you've had any bad experience with racial remarks. But let me give you a hint- get used to it.
There is absolutely no excuse for racial remarks and no reason to get used to it or tolerate it, TrapperL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio