Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:07 AM

452 posts, read 1,028,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Im certain that i am not the only one who has known people who have less than reputable lifestyles. Im not going to explain myself for something that happened quite some time ago, when I personally was much younger and my own morals and values werent exactly "developed."
You're not going to explain yourself? You just did!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 09:11 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,295,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
You're not going to explain yourself? You just did!
oh okay well i hope you are satisfied then.... LOL moving on....

Old 02-26-2009, 09:48 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,295,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
And I resent your friend bootlegging.

Karma isn't an exact route.

Okay let me clarify my comment because apparently I flew thru it without really thinking about what I was trying to say. Someone else had mentioned they didnt want their tax dollars going to putting people who sell stolen merchandise behind bars as opposed to drug dealers; what I was attempting to do was empahsize that both illegal dealings can have ugly consequences. Obviously that was lost in translation, better luck next time.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:52 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,373,103 times
I missed this story until the late news last night. I'm so glad to see these creeps get busted.

One thing the reporter emphasized at the end of the report was a reminder that even buying it is illegal....even if you don't know it's stolen. That's reason enough to shop at legitimate businesses. Anything at a flea market could be suspect. It's too bad....but it's always been that way....just not enforced.

Sapphire....I agree that it costs honest retailers a lot of money. These products are purchased months in advance and set up on a ship date. Loss prevention is extremely costly for retailers....not to mention overhead.

HLS....in theory, you're correct in asking why the prices don't go down....but it's much more complex. Overhead in retail goes up across the board when gas prices go up.....fuel costs effect everything....the manufacturers, the shippers, the distributors, marketing departments... everyone has to pay higher prices. The point of sale is a long way down the road from where the price started to go up. Everything in between would need to be reversed for the retailer to actually drop prices. It's just not that simple to say that the "HEB's et ux" out there are ripping off the consumer. Everyone is trying to stay afloat right now.....there's not much room for profit anywhere in this brittle economy.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
HLS....in theory, you're correct in asking why the prices don't go down....but it's much more complex. Overhead in retail goes up across the board when gas prices go up.....fuel costs effect everything....the manufacturers, the shippers, the distributors, marketing departments... everyone has to pay higher prices. The point of sale is a long way down the road from where the price started to go up. Everything in between would need to be reversed for the retailer to actually drop prices. It's just not that simple to say that the "HEB's et ux" out there are ripping off the consumer. Everyone is trying to stay afloat right now.....there's not much room for profit anywhere in this brittle economy.
And, in the end, the consumer gets screwed. Nice.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:05 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,373,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
And, in the end, the consumer gets screwed. Nice.
I think everyone is getting screwed right now. And it's not the retailers fault....

Old 02-26-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I think everyone is getting screwed right now. And it's not the retailers fault....
I see. Ok.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:07 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,045,611 times
If you don't want to "get screwed", keep your........wallet closed at the flea market. It gets perpetuated when people knowingly buy stolen goods, even though you think you are getting a good deal. It bites a lot of people in the butt, besides being illegal.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,199,062 times
When you buy these "hot" items because "it's so cheap" then in the eyes of the law you are "Aiding And Abetting".

Meaning: "A person charged with aiding and abetting or accessory is usually not present when the crime itself is committed, but he or she has knowledge of the crime before or after the fact, and may assist in its commission through advice, actions, or financial support.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
If you don't want to "get screwed", keep your........wallet closed at the flea market. It gets perpetuated when people knowingly buy stolen goods, even though you think you are getting a good deal. It bites a lot of people in the butt, besides being illegal.
Didn't you read my earlier post? I said I only go there for the roasted corn! Honest! There's nothing at the flea market that I would buy, except maybe trinkets (stuff you wouldn't find in stores, anyway) and I'm definitely not buying a knock off bag when I own the real deal.

By the way, I know what the (.......) means - not nice and uncalled for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio