Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What have you heard about Rio Mambo's status??
Landlord locked them out. They will open ASAP. 1 5.56%
They're closing for good. 2 11.11%
They're relocating. 0 0%
Don't know, but want to know... 15 83.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:34 PM

734 posts, read 3,016,636 times

Advertisements

They were excellent! I really hope they don't close. With rent that high, they should have just built their own building. Wow. But you know the whole restaurant curse thing - that used to be Buck's Landing. It seems that if one restaurant fails in a location then future restaurants are doomed to be successful - although they seemed to have a good run and hope they return someday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 05:58 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,294,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Were they burglarized or robbed
They got JACKED

Old 03-04-2009, 06:03 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,556,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
They got JACKED
Now THAT'S a term I can agree with!!!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:06 PM

9 posts, read 24,982 times
GOOD! BE GONE! I took my family and friends (all from out of town) to this place to eat 2 weeks ago. I have eaten there before for lunch and thought the food was great. Well, we went for dinner and were totally disappointed. The service was LOUSEY! The waiter did not seem to care at all to wait on us, slow in any kind of service that one of the people in our party actually got up and retrieved the tea and water to refill our glasses. Not only that, the "manager" who walked around NEVER came to our table to see if we were happy or not, he looked at us but just kept walking past our table, never smiling or acknowledging us AT ALL! And to top it off, my friend and I went to the restroom and saw a waitress in there who DID NOT wash her hands but instead stormed off and then went to go SERVE food! UGH! We were totally disgusted and disappointed at this place. The food was good but NEVER will we go there again. It was not even worth complaining...because again, the manager was not even interested.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:16 PM

36 posts, read 115,832 times
So how much rent is the landlord collecting now if they went out of business. Not too smart raise the rent and price your tenant out.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
Express-News Weekender confirms today that Rio Mambo has closed.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:07 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,747,049 times
I live near by and know some folks that went there - the response everyone gave was "the food is OK". Not the kind of recommendation that will get me there to try it. Sad to see it close though. I suspect that this will be one of many that will close this year as our national economy sinks closer to a depression. Many people are saving their cash instead of eating out - or using their cash to pay down debt. These will be hard times for the restaurant industry.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:46 AM

13 posts, read 28,557 times
To those of you who dislike Rio Mambo, what DO you recommend in its place? My wife and I have been trying many Tex-Mex restaurants around here, and most of the food we've tried has been awful. It's either smothered in something akin to Velveeta and Hormel Chili or it's just a cold tortilla filled with giant handfuls of cilantro. Others were recommended to me solely on the margarita selection. The only place we've really liked is El Chapparal in Helotes, but it's always too packed to get in, and some items are a bit greasy (though it tastes great). So my question is, to the people who consider Rio Mambo "just average" what do you recommend in its place? I'd love to try it, because apparently we're missing some great food to still be this concerned about Rio Mambo.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:51 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,747,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_55 View Post
To those of you who dislike Rio Mambo, what DO you recommend in its place? My wife and I have been trying many Tex-Mex restaurants around here, and most of the food we've tried has been awful. It's either smothered in something akin to Velveeta and Hormel Chili or it's just a cold tortilla filled with giant handfuls of cilantro. Others were recommended to me solely on the margarita selection. The only place we've really liked is El Chapparal in Helotes, but it's always too packed to get in, and some items are a bit greasy (though it tastes great). So my question is, to the people who consider Rio Mambo "just average" what do you recommend in its place? I'd love to try it, because apparently we're missing some great food to still be this concerned about Rio Mambo.
I go to different Mexican places depending on what I am in the mood for. For example, I love Alamo Cafe's Chicken Fajita Chimichangs but don't like much else there. For just the general menu items - Mamacita's and Papacito's (sp?) are some of the best in my opinion. There are some places downtown that are very good - but I really hate going all that way just for food... There is a place off of Embassy at Bitters on the end of the strip center that has great Mexican food - but the name is escaping me right now.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:16 PM

13 posts, read 28,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
There is a place off of Embassy at Bitters on the end of the strip center that has great Mexican food - but the name is escaping me right now.
Are you thinking of El Jarro de Arturo? I did like that place a good bit, it's just a bit too far away. Thanks for the input, I'm going to look into those other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio