Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 17,335 times

Advertisements

Growing up in San Antonio was lots of fun. I grew up in the South side of town on Saint Francis St, early to mid 1980's, which is a block south of Lone Star Blvd. I remember many summer evenings when all the kids in the neighborhood would get together and scare each other with stories and urban legends like La Llorona, La Lechusa, Donkey Lady, etc.

Another thing I remember were these weird phone numbers we would call. They were a set of 3-digit phone numbers that would "call" either Pac-Man, La Llorona, and the Donkey Lady. When you called them, they would make these weird noises that sounded like a video game, a banshee, or running hooves, hence the names. I am not sure if everyone knew about these. My sister and I learned them from our cousins that lived on the west side of town.

If you remember these, let us know. If not, dig deep into your childhood memories and share some with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 08:59 PM

109 posts, read 249,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acastan79 View Post
Growing up in San Antonio was lots of fun. I grew up in the South side of town on Saint Francis St, early to mid 1980's, which is a block south of Lone Star Blvd. I remember many summer evenings when all the kids in the neighborhood would get together and scare each other with stories and urban legends like La Llorona, La Lechusa, Donkey Lady, etc.

Another thing I remember were these weird phone numbers we would call. They were a set of 3-digit phone numbers that would "call" either Pac-Man, La Llorona, and the Donkey Lady. When you called them, they would make these weird noises that sounded like a video game, a banshee, or running hooves, hence the names. I am not sure if everyone knew about these. My sister and I learned them from our cousins that lived on the west side of town.

If you remember these, let us know. If not, dig deep into your childhood memories and share some with us.
I too grew up on the southside, Harlendale ISD. Yea the donkey lady was the one I heard. That and the train tracks and saying bloody mary in a dark bathroom.

I called the donkey ladys number one time and it was so stupid! Didn't sound anything like hooves. Sounded more like you said, "pacman"

Ah good time when your at that age an really gullible.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,654 times
I grew up in the westside when all las cantinas were booming in la calle guadalupe and el callejon elvira. El molino bar.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 PM

254 posts, read 548,076 times
I grew up on the NE side but once I heard about these stories I sought out the train tracks, donkey lady, and midget mansion. Still want to find the secret school & nazi farm. Seen some strange, strange things with my friend & his off road jeep at night.
Wow! Just talking about this stuff makes San Antonio seem cooler.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:13 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,643,845 times
I do remember the S. A. haunted house I once lived in, that would be the early 60's, near northside. The house had a hallway from the front living area to the bathroom and that's where the ghost would walk at night. You could hear the footsteps clearly some nights. I never saw the ghost, unless you could say that point of light I saw once in the dark hallway was it. My little sister said she saw it...said it was a lady in green.

Last edited by Lee W.; 12-23-2011 at 10:44 PM..

Old 12-23-2011, 10:32 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,363 times
Back in the 80s...we would call the Donkey Lady and talk about the Chinese Graveyard. And, or course, visit the Tracks.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,654 times
yeah it was said that if you parked your car in the middle of the tracks it would be pushed by the spirits of the kids that got killed.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:23 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,368 times
Unless they did not like you, usually for lack of respect, then the leave you on the tracks. There are also two donkey ladies. One is in the NE side. The other in the Southside which is the house without front steps and a high door.

I think the donkey lady phone number was a fax machine. Back then we did not know how they sounded.

Running home from down the block when it turned dark, afraid the lechuza was going to get you, not wanting to be at the back of the group running, good memories.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:15 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,588 times
The Irish Catholic nun, Sister Immacullatta. She had all of us forth graders terrified.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:47 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
The kids still scare each other with Bloody Mary. The other night my daughter woke up screaming because she thought bloody mary had yanked out her tongue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio