Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:35 AM

121 posts, read 437,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinocowboy View Post
HD is fine. Picture is razor sharp. It's the standard broadcasting that leaves something to be desired. My old 32" CRT tube TV had a crisper image on standard signals. I was wondering if TWSA's compression is what's deteriorating the signal because my cable box/DVR is fine.

I'll have to check if my set has the internal tuner.
All HDtvs have poorer quality than SDtvs when viewing standard def signals. The HD tuners can not process standard signals very well. Why they can't manufacture a HD tuner comparable to a SD one is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 01:43 PM

545 posts, read 2,283,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m95roadster View Post
All HDtvs have poorer quality than SDtvs when viewing standard def signals. The HD tuners can not process standard signals very well. Why they can't manufacture a HD tuner comparable to a SD one is beyond me.
It's not because of the quality of the tuner, it's because the HD picture is so much larger (in number or pixels). A standard def picture is about 1/4 of the size of a HD picture. It's like taking a small digital still and blowing it up to view it on a computer monitor. You're going to get pixelation where the computer tries to fill in the missing information.

http://www.myfreehdtv.com/

Old 03-23-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
It's not because of the quality of the tuner, it's because the HD picture is so much larger (in number or pixels). A standard def picture is about 1/4 of the size of a HD picture. It's like taking a small digital still and blowing it up to view it on a computer monitor. You're going to get pixelation where the computer tries to fill in the missing information.

http://www.myfreehdtv.com/
I didn't say the tuner was of inferior quality. I said the image of SD on an HDtv is poorer than on an SDtv.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:20 PM

898 posts, read 2,562,825 times
Yeah i get those problems too..155 (CBS HD) and 111 (FOX HD) both will lose audio slowly after a few minutes...then come back if you leave it there. Very annoying

Old 03-23-2007, 03:28 PM

545 posts, read 2,283,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m95roadster View Post
I didn't say the tuner was of inferior quality. I said the image of SD on an HDtv is poorer than on an SDtv.
And I was explaining why the quality was worse. Apologies for misunderstanding your first post, but I think I did address the issue, didn't I?

Old 03-23-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
And I was explaining why the quality was worse. Apologies for misunderstanding your first post, but I think I did address the issue, didn't I?
No problem.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:09 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Video stutter? I wondered what that was called!!!! I don't have HD yet, but just the premium cable connection does this ALL the time. I think it's a Time Warner problem and not your set. Call and complain. If enough of us do it, they might get the picture that they need to fix it!

It also drives me crazy that some of their programmed commercials are pre-empted with local commercials and they still run about 5 seconds of the original commercial. What a disservice to the company paying for that time! That's what happens when they are the only game in town! No competition and nothing to pressure them to fix it. Seem like the FCC could do something???

Old 10-03-2007, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,397 times
Default Local commerials and audio

Is any one else tired of the distorted, extreamly loud commercials that Time Warner seems to drop in every other commercial break??

One commercial in three on every channel is so loud and distorted that you just want to shut the TV off.

Seems to me it's on everything but the locals...must be TW's local drop ins.

I've complain to TW four or five times, but it seems to go in one ear and out the other.

BD

Old 10-03-2007, 11:09 PM

898 posts, read 2,562,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdornster View Post
Is any one else tired of the distorted, extreamly loud commercials that Time Warner seems to drop in every other commercial break??

One commercial in three on every channel is so loud and distorted that you just want to shut the TV off.

Seems to me it's on everything but the locals...must be TW's local drop ins.

I've complain to TW four or five times, but it seems to go in one ear and out the other.

BD
Yes very annoying...i get the feeling that TW doesnt really try too hard because of things like this. However, they did fix the video stutter problem on the HD channels

Old 10-04-2007, 05:01 AM

117 posts, read 419,305 times
I'll second DirecTV for a great choice for HD content. They've rolled out a ton of HD and more on the way, and it ALL looks great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio