Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 02:49 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times

Advertisements

LuLu's Cafe is the best chicken fried steak I have found. It WILL fill you up, but on the off chance you are a teenager they also have a Cinnamon Roll that weighs in at 3.5lbs to finish you off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 02:52 PM

905 posts, read 1,631,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I don't think they around anymore. However, both Tip Top Cafe and Charlie's have good Chicken Fried Steak.

So does M.K. Davis on North Flores.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:04 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
I'm coming back to SA for a visit next month and, at the risk of starting WW III, am asking where one gets a really good Chicken Fried Steak now a days. We used to go to the Alamo Steakhouse. Is it still there and are the Chicken Fried Steaks still good? Good to me means juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside, and the crust doesn't fall off when you cut it. Gotta have some tangy gravy, smashed 'taters and corn on the side, and lots of sweet tea, too. A little pecan pie to finish wouldn't hurt. There's no such thing in New England, and I miss it alot!
I don't think there ever was a "Alamo Steakhouse" in San Antonio. Perhaps you are thinking of Alamo Café and many people say their chicken fried steak is good. I personally never had it so I can't comment.

Oh, and Alamo Café is still around. Two locations. One off I-10W and the other off 281N.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:03 PM

5 posts, read 7,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Rider View Post
I'm coming back to SA for a visit next month and, at the risk of starting WW III, am asking where one gets a really good Chicken Fried Steak now a days. We used to go to the Alamo Steakhouse. Is it still there and are the Chicken Fried Steaks still good? Good to me means juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside, and the crust doesn't fall off when you cut it. Gotta have some tangy gravy, smashed 'taters and corn on the side, and lots of sweet tea, too. A little pecan pie to finish wouldn't hurt. There's no such thing in New England, and I miss it alot!
According to a recent MySA contest first place was Good Time Charlie's and runner-up was Thousand Oaks Café.

George Dill

PS: Sixty years back it would have been Cap't Jim's at Loop 13 at Roosevelt and Earl Abel's on Broadway at Hildebrandt.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:55 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,296,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I don't think there ever was a "Alamo Steakhouse" in San Antonio. Perhaps you are thinking of Alamo Café and many people say their chicken fried steak is good. I personally never had it so I can't comment.

Oh, and Alamo Café is still around. Two locations. One off I-10W and the other off 281N.
There was also a place that opened for awhile called Al & Mo's at the old Gallagher's location on I-10 near Wurzbach (it's a taco and ceviche place, now). The were owned by Alamo Cafe but had more of traditional Texas menu with brisket, ribs, steaks, and chicken fried steak.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:29 PM

11 posts, read 38,375 times
My best place to eat is Josephine Steak and Whiskey off of Josephine and 281, everything is homemade.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:34 PM

136 posts, read 331,935 times
Thanks to all of you who responded to my post about Chicken Fried steak. The reason I'm coming to SA is to attend a Navy unit reunion and there's lots of my old shipmates who've never had the pleasure of having a Chicken Fried steak or Tex-Mex food so I'm gonna introduce them to some "good eats". I'll let you know how it turns out.

Oh, Azure 110 was right, though, it was the Alamo Cafe I was thinking of.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:27 PM

5 posts, read 6,905 times
Default Black cow

Does anyone remember a place either on military drive or maybe somewhere off new braunfels ave where they sold rootbeer floats called black cows?

Old 09-01-2015, 10:40 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Wasn't it Austin highway?
And yes I remember!!!
When my dad got paid on Friday, we'd be there for hamburgers and black cows!

Old 09-01-2015, 11:45 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,195,504 times
Back where I come from a Black Cow was made with grape syrup. A root beer float was just that, a float.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio