Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 01:06 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times

Advertisements

Even more defunct than you am I Rancho. I kept an 8 track player until only recently. The tapes too. My sons used to show off to all their friends my old player. To them all, it was a relic from the Jurassic electronic days as they had never seen one before.
Same with the old motorcycle.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 04:24 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Even more defunct than you am I Rancho. I kept an 8 track player until only recently. The tapes too. My sons used to show off to all their friends my old player. To them all, it was a relic from the Jurassic electronic days as they had never seen one before.
Same with the old motorcycle.
I must be super defunct!
Before 8 tracks... I'd go downtown Main street.

Bought mostly 45 rpm and when I saved enough coins,
I'd get the 33 1/3 record albums.

And my folks were even more defunct than me.
Mom had a piano which my father bought at this

Old 02-07-2018, 06:14 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Jeez, you guys are such beginners. I have a 1950's Columbia High Fidelity record player that still plays 78's records. And I have a stash of 78's to play on it. Like String of pearls, In the Mood, Dorsey, Goodman, Hank Williams Sr, etc. I have a few 78 rpm Edison records, the kind that are about 3/4" thick. There's probably over 5000 45's from rock to country. A few hundred 33.3 albums. Yep, still have several 8 track players and one recorder. Boxes and boxes of 8 track tapes. Still have some blank 8 track tapes. Then there's the Quadraphonic tapes that I used in a then new Lincoln Towncar. That's REAL 4 channel sound for you novices. A few hundred cassettes and a chest full of CDs. I'm not sure but I think if it was ever recorded, I probably have it.....may never find it but I have it. I have everything necessary to play any of it with a 400 watt x 4 amp, laser record player, dual cassette decks, cd players, USB, to a quad of 16" subs, midtones, and steel tweeters. Yeah, at one time I was really into music of all kinds. Ya aughta hear the sound system on my PC. Guaranteed to knock yer socks off. No wonder I'm deaf.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Jeez, you guys are such beginners. I have a 1950's Columbia High Fidelity record player that still plays 78's records. And I have a stash of 78's to play on it. Like String of pearls, In the Mood, Dorsey, Goodman, Hank Williams Sr, etc. I have a few 78 rpm Edison records, the kind that are about 3/4" thick. There's probably over 5000 45's from rock to country. A few hundred 33.3 albums. Yep, still have several 8 track players and one recorder. Boxes and boxes of 8 track tapes. Still have some blank 8 track tapes. Then there's the Quadraphonic tapes that I used in a then new Lincoln Towncar. That's REAL 4 channel sound for you novices. A few hundred cassettes and a chest full of CDs. I'm not sure but I think if it was ever recorded, I probably have it.....may never find it but I have it. I have everything necessary to play any of it with a 400 watt x 4 amp, laser record player, dual cassette decks, cd players, USB, to a quad of 16" subs, midtones, and steel tweeters. Yeah, at one time I was really into music of all kinds. Ya aughta hear the sound system on my PC. Guaranteed to knock yer socks off. No wonder I'm deaf.
You forgot to mention Bongo Joe!
http://www.expressnews.com/sa300/art...n-12429280.php

Old 02-08-2018, 11:21 PM

Beginner?
I feel for you trapper, you are stuck in the past? I still have some 45's around but I don't use them. And a bunch if cassettes too, which I still play.
Those old 45's that you mention played through such a powerful system, hell the static crackling from the scratches alone must sound as loud as gunfire. Seek professional help ASAP before you turn completely stone deaf. Counseling might help a great deal. Try hard to accept newer inventions like microwave ovens etc. This might also help end addiction.

Thrown out are the all the and old plastic and the 8 tracks. There are better ways to store all those old songs now.
Like you I also am sort of deaf (25% loss) from four Bose 901's, four subwoofers and the center channel speaker which of course, cannot even be heard for all the other speakers. I have a huge flat screen smart television which of course is run through the same sound system and so all the music on you tube can be listened to-without the 777 boxes of records taking up three bedrooms worth of space.
So guess what? There is also video now too, to go along with the audio.
My parents used to have a lot of the heavier 78 rpm records from -------- the FORTIES. Plus.....
I haven't even SEEN, a blank 8 track tape in over fifty years. Easier it is to find a horned toad in San Antonio.
I can easily mess up my already bad hearing by listening to the music volume turned up too loud. The ears will ring until next morning. Worse than they already do ring that is. Tinnits , the ringing condition I have been told is named.
The very first thing I ever bought on credit was a quadraphonic player in- 1972. From a Monkey Wards Dept. store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post

Old 02-09-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post

The very first thing I ever bought on credit was a quadraphonic player in- 1972. From a Monkey Wards Dept. store.
Huckster, ever recall a Monkey Wards Dept. store across from the Transit Tower building?
My late uncle said he worked there.

I'm referring to the Tower Life building located near La Villita area downtown.

Btw:
From one member of the "tinnitus club" to another...
"I hear you Bro!"

It's a constant non-stop ringing.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:52 PM

Rancho. No I can't say as I remember the Old Monkey Wards Dept. store across from the old Transit Tower, no I am a frayed knot.

The tinnitis isn't so bad Ranch. I have gotten so used to it that I do not even notice the ringing. Unless
I turn the music up too loud. or it is brung to my attention I don't like it- but it isn't so bad. There are far worse ailments to have.
Surely I know of the the old Transit Tower, how could I not know what used to be the name of what was for so very long the tallest building in the City?
It is too bad, and I am sorry to know that your uncle has passed..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
Huckster, ever recall a Monkey Wards Dept. store across from the Transit Tower building?

Btw:
"I hear you Bro!"

Old 02-09-2018, 04:56 PM

11 posts, read 38,351 times
Default Western Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post

Btw:
"I hear you Bro!"

I remember a Western Auto being across the street from the Tower Life Bldg.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperez41 View Post
I remember a Western Auto being across the street from the Tower Life Bldg.
Looking at the google map image, it looks about the size for a typical Western Auto building.
I have no doubt you are correct.
Perhaps this was afterwards.

The one my uncle described took up almost the whole block similar to the size of a
Sears store.

In the Texas Monthly July 1986, there’s an article,
“Downtown~Can the heart of an San Antonio survive major surgery?”
by Jim Atkinson.
There’s mention of Sears, Pincus, H.L. Green and Montgomery Wards among others
as being located downtown.

I remember Sears, Pincus, Frost, Joske’s, Wolff & Marx, Kress, H L Green and others
downtown.

Also the Montgomery Wards at Wonderland Shopping Mall and McCreless.

I only recall my uncle telling me that a Montgomery Wards was situated across
from the Tower Life bldg. But I cannot verify if this is correct or not.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:38 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Quote:
Counseling might help a great deal
Been to counseling, he said I drove him crazy. Anyway, records were not the problem but then they never said anything but don't come back. Actually, I started collecting the 45s as a kid back in the 50's. My mom had already started with the 78s and I inherited her collection. As 45s were being phased out, people knew I would take them so I got loads and loads just dumped in my lap. Record Rendezvous over on Fair Ave was pretty much my supplier back then. Neat little hole in the wall record shop. I was there every week getting my KONO Hit List. Still have a few around here...if I could only find them again. After I made my big "purchase" of a 45, I'd burn up Goliad getting home to play it. Most often I play a record non-stop for hours or until I was threatened with my life if I didn't play something else. I do the same thing at YouTube these days or have the USB play something over and over. Learned to play a few songs like that and watching the guys play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio