Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 06:51 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
The old Volker (sp) Metal Works Bldg. on W.Glenn off S.Flores was 2 or 3 story. The remains of Lone Star Seeds sign painted on sides is or was still visible. The Iron Works was there from late 60's on up. Now it's some sort of apartments. I'm trying to recall where it was on Lachapelle....
..............Voss Metal Works was on East Glenn northeast corner of Regent.

It is now a residence.

Fantastic building. I've been all through it.

four stories, if you count the basement.

a huge structure and grounds. and it is finely adapted to its present purpose.

her son has a British Motorcycle restoration facility on the third floor.

the machines ride up on an elevator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 09:49 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
..............Voss Metal Works was on East Glenn northeast corner of Regent.

It is now a residence.

Fantastic building. I've been all through it.

four stories, if you count the basement.

a huge structure and grounds. and it is finely adapted to its present purpose.

her son has a British Motorcycle restoration facility on the third floor.

the machines ride up on an elevator.
Voss !! That's it ..thanks Mud! My dad had a shop not far from it. Think the Voss family lived in a house around the corner with all the iron work. I've been all through it. The house that is. Think I've been in the ground floor of the 3 story bldg. a couple times. Sat vacant I think for a while before being restored or remodeled. East not West Glenn should have known. Judge Roy Bean is supposed to have run a dairy across Probandt by the river there.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:18 PM

237 posts, read 851,315 times
Default southside

Quote:
Judge Roy Bean is supposed to have run a dairy across Probandt by the river there.
That agrees with a friend showing me the house on Glen just west of Probandt where Bean supposedly spent his declining years. Story was that his daughter took care of the old curmudgeon in her home which is still standing tho overgrown flora keeps it secluded.

" I'm trying to recall where it was on Lachapelle..." The current Lone Star Seeds address at 119 Lachapelle is not where I visited while the old Volker building looks like the place I went to talk seeds with Lone Star in the mid 1980s. Google 272 Regent and you can view the Volker site and can just barely make out their name across the top. The Bean home is east a couple more blocks near Probandt. And btw, go back west to Flores and Glen to see the GBNF Victory Market building. It was home and business to the Wong family for many years until 1997. That old neighborhood certainly has its share of history since Burbank HS is also nearby. Is it still educating future farmers and ranchers ... I wonder?

Old 05-08-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
That agrees with a friend showing me the house on Glen just west of Probandt where Bean supposedly spent his declining years. Story was that his daughter took care of the old curmudgeon in her home which is still standing tho overgrown flora keeps it secluded.

" I'm trying to recall where it was on Lachapelle..." The current Lone Star Seeds address at 119 Lachapelle is not where I visited while the old Volker building looks like the place I went to talk seeds with Lone Star in the mid 1980s. Google 272 Regent and you can view the Volker site and can just barely make out their name across the top. The Bean home is east a couple more blocks near Probandt. And btw, go back west to Flores and Glen to see the GBNF Victory Market building. It was home and business to the Wong family for many years until 1997. That old neighborhood certainly has its share of history since Burbank HS is also nearby. Is it still educating future farmers and ranchers ... I wonder?
The Victory Market ...I never really thought of the name. I knew those people. My dad's shop was across from Warfield Smith's Hardware Store. I knew the daughter. Used to talk to her all the time. She would drop notes in my Camaro If I wasn't around. Can't remember her name The parents would have been late 30's maybe early 40's. The daughter maybe 17... Very nice people.

Quote:
.. That old neighborhood certainly has its share of history since Burbank HS is also nearby. Is it still educating future farmers and ranchers ... I wonder?
Not sure! I remember when a student racing down Glenn (between the Fields) crashed into some kids. Think at least one died! The street was closed every since then.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:05 PM

237 posts, read 851,315 times
Default Liberty Market

Quote:
The Victory Market ...I never really thought of the name. I knew those people. My dad's shop was across from Warfield Smith's Hardware Store. I knew the daughter.
I was mistaken as it was actually the Liberty Market and the Wong family lived above from 1941 then through '50s before building a house on the north side. Mr. Pon Wong was a WW I veteran who worked at other markets until he saved enough to open the Liberty in May 1941. His son Fred ran the store until 1997 and his sister Dora is the oldest surviving daughter. She and her husband John Leung owned and operated John L's Cafe on Zarzamora for many years. Below are a pair of Wong family fotos the first being Grand Opening day then another taken some years later.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-liberty-opens.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-liberty-1.jpg  

Old 05-10-2010, 02:19 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,839,572 times
dagnabbitit, I'm going to try and get yier help. I have a second period costume and this time I am doing my buddy, Gabby Hayes. I already have the beard. I think most of you will remember him. Roy Rogers, John Wayne and many other western heroes side kick.

Here's my rendition:

And here is my collection of Gabby photos. Thanks for the help.

Gabby Hayes :: Border20Town20Gunfighters2-1.jpg picture by jh1882 - Photobucket

Old 05-10-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I was mistaken as it was actually the Liberty Market and the Wong family lived above from 1941 then through '50s before building a house on the north side. Mr. Pon Wong was a WW I veteran who worked at other markets until he saved enough to open the Liberty in May 1941. His son Fred ran the store until 1997 and his sister Dora is the oldest surviving daughter. She and her husband John Leung owned and operated John L's Cafe on Zarzamora for many years. Below are a pair of Wong family fotos the first being Grand Opening day then another taken some years later.
Wow, great photos Bud! Late 60's and very early 70's is time I'm speaking of. Didn't know about the Cafe on Zarzamora. Chinese operated stores were everywhere back then.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:19 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Quote:
wonderful info and pictures!

Old 05-10-2010, 03:32 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times
I think there was a Taxidermist in San Antonio in the sixties that was in some John Wayne movies ( The Alamo for one). My dad was a big time hunter and he would get stuff done at the guys shop. I went with him a few times and the guy did look kinda like Gabby Hayes. Does anybody remember him?

Old 05-11-2010, 01:48 AM

Only Taxidermist I recall was off I-35 and I-37, S.E. corner of intersect near Hackberry! That was as far back as 70's maybe. One at Southcross and Zarzamora more recently..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio