Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 06:32 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John911 View Post
Here it is... 666 SW Military Dr, San Antonio, TX - Google Maps

Almost across from Wendy's.... behind that building used to be Art's Muffler and a pawn shop, both have been replaced years ago. At Boswell & Military was the old Handy Andy, La Feria, El Norteno record shop. The Handy Andy later became "Chaps" (or was it Cody's?) the southside version of what Midnight Rodeo became, long before it's day. Later, Cody's moved to 1201 SW Military @ Garnett.

I used to work at Frisco Electronics, orginally at 1310 SW Military, they relocated to 1245 SW Military (next to taco bell) before the Stokes Bros. (Parent company) out of Utah decided to close all of their profitable Texas stores to keep the floundering Utah stores open. I imagine they are a distant memory now. I later worked for the company that liquidated all of Frisco's assets and was the sole common denominator from the old crew to the new crew.

Frisco Electronics "We beat any price!" was a medium sized 'big-box' store and was a predecessor to places like Service Merchandise, Best Products (RIP) altough Best Products (Loop 410 & Evers?) and San Pedro near McCarty had a much larger product line, including jewelery. They were a modern day Best Buy or Circuit City.
O.K. that was the old Walgreen's. I just don't recall what's been in that building since it was a pharmacy under two or three different names. I remember Art's Muffler and it was an engine shop for a while. The Pawn Shop ..Suburban Loan I think. Remember Ole' Toro near Little Caesar's just east of the old record shop? Handy Andy's building became Chaps I'm sure.

I think this was once a meat market and then an appliance rental outfit. Not sure of original occupant.

666 SW Military Dr, San Antonio, TX - Google Maps

Seems to me there was a forerunner to Best or maybe it was a Service Merchandise in one of these two buildings way back. You grabbed a tag and merchandise came down a conveyor from upstairs.

I remember Frisco but can't recall where on Military Drive.

Remember Sterling Electronics? Dunkin' Donuts?

http://goo.gl/maps/Qw6Wd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 06:35 PM

47 posts, read 87,808 times
[quote=John911;28231820]Here it is... 666 SW Military Dr, San Antonio, TX - Google Maps

Almost across from Wendy's.... behind that building used to be Art's Muffler and a pawn shop, both have been replaced years ago. At Boswell & Military was the old Handy Andy, La Feria, El Norteno record shop. The Handy Andy later became "Chaps" (or was it Cody's?) the southside version of what Midnight Rodeo became, long before it's day. Later, Cody's moved to 1201 SW Military @ Garnett.

I used to work at Frisco Electronics, orginally at 1310 SW Military, they relocated to 1245 SW Military (next to taco bell) before the Stokes Bros. (Parent company) out of Utah decided to close all of their profitable Texas stores to keep the floundering Utah stores open. I imagine they are a distant memory now. I later worked for the company that liquidated all of Frisco's assets and was the sole common denominator from the old crew to the new crew.

Frisco Electronics "We beat any price!" was a medium sized 'big-box' store and was a predecessor to places like Service Merchandise, Best Products (RIP) altough Best Products (Loop 410 & Evers?) and San Pedro near McCarty had a much larger product line, including jewelery. They were a modern day Best Buy or Circuit City.[/quote

Yes I remember it! There was also Macduffs. Remember them? I think Sterling Electronics and Dyer Electronics were still in it but not for long. I used to go to Bill Case Sound down on Main (Maybe San Pedro?) I think. He was a cool guy but didn't understand the music that was happening. Remember when they would put on the cover of an album MADE TO BE PLAYED LOUD. I remember ADVENT had a cool line stereo stuff. Mostly plastic but it did sound good. I was interested in the new ADVENT Stereo amp. Mr. Case told me it sounded good but it was no rock star! I kept my Dynaco' but I think he was cool!

Old 02-13-2013, 06:51 PM

472 posts, read 1,076,472 times
[quote=Dellviewforever;28235646]
Quote:
Here it is... 666 SW Military Dr, San Antonio, TX - Google Maps

Frisco Electronics "We beat any price!" was a medium sized 'big-box' store and was a predecessor to places like Service Merchandise, Best Products (RIP) altough Best Products (Loop 410 & Evers?) and San Pedro near McCarty had a much larger product line, including jewelery. They were a modern day Best Buy or Circuit City.[/quote

Yes I remember it! There was also Macduffs. Remember them? I think Sterling Electronics and Dyer Electronics were still in it but not for long. I used to go to Bill Case Sound down on Main (Maybe San Pedro?) I think. He was a cool guy but didn't understand the music that was happening. Remember when they would put on the cover of an album MADE TO BE PLAYED LOUD. I remember ADVENT had a cool line stereo stuff. Mostly plastic but it did sound good. I was interested in the new ADVENT Stereo amp. Mr. Case told me it sounded good but it was no rock star! I kept my Dynaco' but I think he was cool!
Was'nt Bill Case sound located on the corner of Broadway and Brackenridge,..close by where the Fiesta store is now? I think Ranch Hand truck accessories is there now,...he had an awsome quadraphonic room set-up,..he would play Santana Abraxas for us ,..NICE!

Old 02-13-2013, 06:56 PM

17 posts, read 47,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellviewforever View Post
I used to go to Bill Case Sound down on Main (Maybe San Pedro?) I think. He was a cool guy but didn't understand the music that was happening. Remember when they would put on the cover of an album MADE TO BE PLAYED LOUD. I remember ADVENT had a cool line stereo stuff. Mostly plastic but it did sound good. I was interested in the new ADVENT Stereo amp. Mr. Case told me it sounded good but it was no rock star! I kept my Dynaco' but I think he was cool!
Bill Case was on Broadway, at least in the late 60s, when I bought my first turntable there from a young salesman named Bjorn. You've probably heard of him.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:06 PM

Don't you all recall Muntz Stereo?? 60's... Big selection of 4 and 8 track tapes and players. It was on Broadway at the south end of Brackenridge park.

Google Maps

Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 PM

472 posts, read 1,076,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclhd View Post
Bill Case was on Broadway, at least in the late 60s, when I bought my first turntable there from a young salesman named Bjorn. You've probably heard of him.
That is a totally cool story

Old 02-13-2013, 07:58 PM

265 posts, read 534,697 times
I need to correct the addresses of Frisco -- The original location was at 1745 SW Military and relocated to 1310 SW Military.

I vaguely remember El Toro... Dyer Electronics... I think it was where Applebee's or Valero is now, across from Don Pedros, but after looking at googlemaps, it might be at Burton where Pronto insurance is now... memory a little fuzzy. How about Custom Hi-Fi? I remember them, just don't remember where they were at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
O.K. that was the old Walgreen's. I just don't recall what's been in that building since it was a pharmacy under two or three different names. I remember Art's Muffler and it was an engine shop for a while. The Pawn Shop ..Suburban Loan I think. Remember Ole' Toro near Little Caesar's just east of the old record shop? Handy Andy's building became Chaps I'm sure.

I think this was once a meat market and then an appliance rental outfit. Not sure of original occupant.

Seems to me there was a forerunner to Best or maybe it was a Service Merchandise in one of these two buildings way back. You grabbed a tag and merchandise came down a conveyor from upstairs.

I remember Frisco but can't recall where on Military Drive.

Remember Sterling Electronics? Dunkin' Donuts?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 PM

265 posts, read 534,697 times
...and across from Dunkin' Donuts was Shipley Do-Nuts in what was once Kentucky Fried Chicken and now Fred Loya Insurance.

Might as well mention the Sizzler, across the way from the previously mentioned Powell Vaccuum.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:11 PM

17 posts, read 47,949 times
Quote:
At Boswell & Military was the old Handy Andy, La Feria, El Norteno record shop.
Did anyone mention Dillard's which was behind Handy Andy? And wasn't there a cafeteria, Luby's maybe, between Dillard's and Sears?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I need to correct the addresses of Frisco -- The original location was at 1745 SW Military and relocated to 1310 SW Military.

I vaguely remember El Toro... Dyer Electronics... I think it was where Applebee's or Valero is now, across from Don Pedros, but after looking at googlemaps, it might be at Burton where Pronto insurance is now... memory a little fuzzy. How about Custom Hi-Fi? I remember them, just don't remember where they were at.
My memory is a lot fuzzy. It's hard to remember much of the businesses that have come and gone up and down Military Dr. I remember Dyer but forget where it was. I don't recall anything that amounted to much where Applebee's is now. Mother's was across Military from the Valero. I can't even remember what was in the Valero property before it built there. Colonna's Pizza and the Record Hole was across Commercial from it. I hate getting old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio