Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 03:56 PM

47 posts, read 87,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylpearson View Post
while this is not a food or restaurant question, i was wondering who might remember the old Tucker Little Leauge Baseball field on the north side of san antonio. it was off of vance jackson, heading west on freiling street. on that corner back in the late 50's was some type of riding stables or a riding course for horses. wal-mart is there now along with other businesses. tucker field was where they have now put Park Ten Business Park. i am sure "TUCKER", whoever he was, liked the kids to have a place to play baseball. there was only one field. as you entered this 'park', the only noticeable thing was the red archway over the road, with crossed baseball bats. i played many a game at this park. some of our sponsors were fedders air conditioning; lone star ice; jefferson state bank; dellview baptist church, and many others. even before, and after, i played a game, i would always chase foul balls for a chance at a free snow cone. in the coming years, it died out and became just another 'old plot of land'. when i was about 10-11 years old, my favorite dog had passed away, and i carried him in a bag on my bicycle, and rode up to tucker field to bury him. that is the last time i was there, and over the years, it was replaced by concrete and steel. i never knew the man 'tucker', but i sure wanted to thank him for a place for all of us to play.
I remember Tucker Field but I never saw a game there. I was bicycle active from 62 to 65 and lived on Beryl. I always went to the Baseball games at St. Gregory's. I would stay late and see the big guys play. 7th and 8th graders! I thought Tucker field was kind of sad. A perfectly good field that no one played on. When was Tucker field at it's peak and who played there? I always wondered that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 03:57 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,231,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John911 View Post
I can picture the Austin Hwy store, just can't place it. My initial thought it was near the Seven Oaks Resort, which is now also gone, but not forgotten.
Correct, it was on the SE corner of Austin Highway & Vandiver.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:10 PM

235 posts, read 424,013 times
i have a color photo i took of the 3 bears restaurant around 70-71. never thought much about WHY i took it. but i still have it just the same. let me see if i can find it and throw it up on here. i also have several of the area of san pedro and jackson-keller. same year. jack-in-the-box; scotchman's inn. pizza hut.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:26 PM

i lived on lively during that time. my mom still lives in that house. i have no idea who 'Tucker' was. i do have a of photo that was taken on that field when i was about 8-10 years old. the sponsor was lone star ice. my brother and i are in the photo. so is my dad. he was the coach. i also have a photo of a pop warner football team i was on in 1961. it was taken at Pilgrim Park. another one i have of pop warner was taken in 1962. photo was taken at the soccer fields on basse road and the railroad tracks.
and lastly, i have one photo of myself and a school friend of mine, going down the huge slide in the parking lot, at wonderland mal,l in 1966. will post these asap.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:05 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post

"Performance Enterprises" sounds familiar. I always wondered why 348's and 409's had the scalloped valve covers. I'm sure I was told over the years but I've forgotten. 3 - 4's huh....must have been a real gas guzzler.
yessir. supercharged 409 with 3 four barrels was guzzling that 28 cent a gallon 100 octane at the pump fuel.

as to the valve covers, the 348/409 motors were called porcupine motors.

the 348/409 was the first Chevrolet Large Block motor.

later followed the 396 427 etc etc

they shared the 348/409 lower end, the top end changed.

and now we have the 502 large block.........

Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 PM

dibble's is still in business. just took a pic of the shop in jefferson village today. my grandma worked for kiddie city. the one on cincinnati street in the late 50's/early 60's. i worked at one in central park mall, upstairs. don't remember if that one was kiddie city or toy box.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:08 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,193,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John911 View Post
The First Mate I frequented was in the 1000 blk of SW Military. It later became an Arby's and is now a shish kabob place.

I seem to remember another First Mate on Goliad somewhere around either Southcross or Pecan Valley...

The one on Zarzamora and Buena Vista later became the home to Arthur Damn motor's used car lot.

I can picture the Austin Hwy store, just can't place it. My initial thought it was near the Seven Oaks Resort, which is now also gone, but not forgotten.
The First Mate @ sw military & hwy 90 became an Arby's.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:11 PM

10 posts, read 16,603 times
Buddy's Drive In on Vance Jackson Road. A very small place but good. A high school (Robert E. Lee) friend worked there for awhile as a cook. Buddy's sponsored our girl's soft ball team. We wore white shirts with "Buddy's Drive In" printed on the back and blue short shorts. We never won a game but we had fun, singing "This is dedicated to the one I love" in a convertible owned and driven by one of the team to and from games and practices.

That was late 50s, early 60s. Good times.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times
Quote:
the 348/409 motors were called porcupine motors.
There was also a porcupine 427 that was and is still a rare engine. It was a longer stroked 409 and came from the factory with 13.5:1 pistons and a single 4 barrel carb of 900 cfms. It was the Z11 option and it also included aluminum front fenders and hood in the package. They are a rare car. This was for the YM 1963 only. Advertised HP was 435 but that was way short of actual output. I've only seen one and saw one for sale about 10 years ago out of Arizona. Amazing the old cars and some of the rare options that you never see. One of the teachers from Highlands unknowingly bought a 1968 Impala with the 435HP 427 ZL-1 Can Am engine with a 4 speed. That package also got him the fiberglas front end and 4.10 gears. And then he wondered why the car ran so good against everything else. Hot Rod mag did a dyno of a stock ZL-1 engine and it pegged out at 540HP.

Bobby Thomas. I heard he died many years ago. Apparently not. I don't suppose you know anything about Roy Holland? It's been about 20 years since I chatted with him. Worked with Buddy Cortinas's brother for a while, about 15 years ago. I'd still love to have that Nova CKC raced back in the day.

And Mud, if you just have the want, I wouldn't mind seeing more of the old drag pics you have. I still haven't found mine...yet. I mean I'd really hate to have to see them but I'd force myself.....if you'd post them......whenever ya got time.....like now would be just fine.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 PM

265 posts, read 534,354 times
Has anyone mentioned George's drive in on Fredericksburg Rd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio