Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2017, 02:55 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Interesting tip about Cap'n Jim's new location.
It was strange to see the Parkaire drive in picture.

Where's the Giant Southside cement pig sit now?
It was strange to see a Wolff & Marx tent sale out in front of the theater. The "Pig" has been next to the old Pig Stand on St Mary's for quite a while now. Unless it's been moved again recently.

https://goo.gl/maps/yPDGT2JRyHv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 11:54 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times
Default Floyd's,

I went by the Floyd's burger stand the other day, last Wednesdy at three in the afternoon and they were not open. The building still appeared still to be well looked after, but closed.
I don't know maybe it is already closed up. So I went over and stopped across the street and got a poor boy sandwich. It ain't the same Bill Millers that was there before either, this is sure.
$5.00 and there were a lot of people in there eating lunch. This sandwich used to be one dollar.
Holy cow. It sure was busy in there.
It was a good sandwich , when I opened it up there was no beef fat inside the sandwich. Only onions and pickle. Not bad at all.
I bought the next afternoon some sausages from Rudy's,everyone says Rudy's is so good. I did no blind taste test, I don't know- but the sausage when tried, seemed very dry to the taste buds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Even though Floyd has been gone from Floyd’s Dairy Bar since 1970, and new owners have kept the home of the five-burger special going for another couple of generations, the end of an era on the South Side may be coming soon.

Time-tested burgers may soon be no more - San Antonio Express-News

Old 03-23-2017, 01:41 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
I went by the Floyd's burger stand the other day, last Wednesdy at three in the afternoon and they were not open. The building still appeared still to be well looked after, but closed.
I don't know maybe it is already closed up. So I went over and stopped across the street and got a poor boy sandwich. It ain't the same Bill Millers that was there before either, this is sure.
$5.00 and there were a lot of people in there eating lunch. This sandwich used to be one dollar.
Holy cow. It sure was busy in there.
It was a good sandwich , when I opened it up there was no beef fat inside the sandwich. Only onions and pickle. Not bad at all.
I bought the next afternoon some sausages from Rudy's,everyone says Rudy's is so good. I did no blind taste test, I don't know- but the sausage when tried, seemed very dry to the taste buds.
We tried Rudy's out at Leon Springs back in the early 80's and didn't see anything special there. Try Big Bib's on Lanark or at Stinson Field. Great brisket. Bill Miller's is a well run outfit no doubt. I have to ask for lean to not get half fat though. Then they give you less meat. I remember when a chopped BBQ at Billy's was 30 cents I think. Then they went to 50 cents. I remember when a family order of brisket was $6.95 too.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:21 PM

457 posts, read 661,730 times
Anyone ever taste the BBQ from the old Butcher Boys location on Blanco, between Lovera and Venice? It was outstanding!
Interesting that the pit was always in operation...don't believe they ever shut it down for the many years
the place was open.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:38 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times
Default Can't Say,

Nor for sure anyway about Butcher Boys Bar-B-Que. I used to hang out in the West Ave and Vance Jackson area in the early seventies , Bud. I knew a family that lived on Oxford Street off Vance Jackson, if you know that one.
I may have eaten at Butcher Boys.
I used to dine at a little diner on West Ave. you might know the name of however. They served the best Chicken Fried Steak I have ever eaten. Close to Basse Rd. and West Avenue., Basse Bud. Maybe you can remember the place? The best I can remember now is that it was nearer the intersection of Dresden and West Ave. however.
As kids we used to get our ice for free from the Holiday Inn at N.E. Vance Jackson and I-10. The ice machine sat out in the parking lot on the west side of the building.

The Steak and mashed potatoes servings were of huge portions at that restaurant and one serving filled an entire oblong platter and all smothered in gravy. One was definitely a meal+ . I don't remember the name of the place though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
Anyone ever taste the BBQ from the old Butcher Boys location on Blanco, between Lovera and Venice? It was outstanding!
Interesting that the pit was always in operation...don't believe they ever shut it down for the many years
the place was open.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:09 PM

Huck,

I departed SA for the first time in 1960. Returned occasionally for family affairs (weddings, funerals, graduations, etc)
over the years. The area around West Ave and Jackson Keller/Vance Jackson was virtually undeveloped in the late
1950's. I don't recall when the "Club" was built on Jackson Keller, or the garage, but they both regularly flooded when the creek rose!

In the early/mid 70's there was a small Mom N' Pop Mexican restaurant in the small strip center on the South East corner
of West Ave and Jackson Keller. They had great food! ( or I was always starved when I stopped there!)

The best No-Name Mexican Restaurant IMHO, was located next to the still existent Texas Ice House on Blanco and Lovera. Three late middle-aged Mexican sisters ran the tiny (3 tables?) place in the mid 1950's. Absolutely THE best Mexican food in town! Everyone who knew of it agreed! By the mid 1970's the surviving sister and her husband had, following the dream, relocated to the South East Corner of Blanco Rd and Basse as Mambo's Mexican Restaurant.
The surviving sister and her husband ran the place. On a visit to SA and seeing the NEW Mambo's, I had to visit. I was amazed that the now elderly lady who owned the place recognized me from the late 50's at the original location!
When we chatted she told me the dream she and her sisters had was to one day have a big, fancy restaurant. The surviving sister and her husband fulfilled the dream. However, when I talked with her, she began to confess that moving into the new larger place had been the worst mistake they had ever made! She finally said, " moving from the original
location was THE major mistake. While the neighborhood and it's residents knew and patronized the new location, the new arrivals did not. With the also aging neighbors quickly dying out, they were desperate to sell or get out. The lady got her
wish a couple of years later when her husband died, and strangers took over the restaurant. A couple of later owners, finally closed it for good. I still remember the GREAT orange enchiladas Mambo's served. Never tasted any as good!

Old 04-11-2017, 07:55 PM

Majestic Theater, Circa 1950's...

I remember the "Colored" entrance located behind the building. I've always wondered:
Was there an elevator to take the patrons to the "nose-bleed" balcony? Otherwise, it
would have been a "heart-stopping climb" up several stories of stairs to reach the
top balcony.

Anyone know the answer to this one?

Old 04-12-2017, 07:40 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,504,472 times
Quote:
Majestic Theater, Circa 1950's...

I remember the "Colored" entrance located behind the building. I've always wondered:
Was there an elevator to take the patrons to the "nose-bleed" balcony? Otherwise, it
would have been a "heart-stopping climb" up several stories of stairs to reach the
top balcony.

Anyone know the answer to this one?
Yes, I have a friend that is one of the managers there. We were talking about this very thing before the Bill Burr show sunday. The "colored" entrance was on College street, behind the theatre. There, they entered an elevator that took them to the 3rd floor where the segregated section was. Not allowed to go anywhere else in the building. Hard to believe that wasn't that long ago. Crazy.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:46 PM

Glad to hear there was an elevator, otherwise climbing stairs would certainly discourage
anyone (everyone?) from attending.

Yes, it is remarkable that those conditions existed not that long ago! The same applied to the bus and train stations.
Strangely enough, never at the airport!

Old 04-12-2017, 02:00 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,621,444 times
Quote:
Glad to hear there was an elevator, otherwise climbing stairs would certainly discourage
anyone (everyone?) from attending.

Yes, it is remarkable that those conditions existed not that long ago! The same applied to the bus and train stations.
Strangely enough, never at the airport!

The elevator at Trinity University Admin. building was smaller than a phone booth.
Those familiar with public phone booths will know what I mean.
No vents. Just four walls.
Once the door closed, it was like being inside a coffin.
It took very long time to go from the first to second floor.
Very uncomfortable feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio