Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 03:22 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
The title of first enclosed shopping mall in San Antonio likely goes to North Star, which held it's grand opening on September 23, 1960. Wonderland opened in 1961, McCreless in 1962, Central Park in 1968, followed by South Park in the early 70s, Windsor Park in 1976, Ingram Park in 1979, and Rolling Oaks in 1988 (25 years ago tomorrow, July 27, 1988.) Rivercenter opened in either 1986 or 1987.

Macgrad89
All this time I thought Las Palmas on the west side
was the first one. But I'm not sure if Las Palmas
qualifies as being a mall , much less an enclosed mall.
It's a shame about Joske's & then Dillards closing downtown
at the Rivercenter. Or all the other stores downtown.
Also the farmers market when they actually had trucks
come in with their fresh produce. I really miss that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 09:57 PM

265 posts, read 534,354 times
MAC:

Don't forget about that yellow or pink disaster that closed down Mario's restaurant and eventually became the site of the UTSA downtown campus.... I think it opened around 1985 and was gone by 1995.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
The title of first enclosed shopping mall in San Antonio likely goes to North Star, which held it's grand opening on September 23, 1960. Wonderland opened in 1961, McCreless in 1962, Central Park in 1968, followed by South Park in the early 70s, Windsor Park in 1976, Ingram Park in 1979, and Rolling Oaks in 1988 (25 years ago tomorrow, July 27, 1988.) Rivercenter opened in either 1986 or 1987.

Macgrad89

Old 07-27-2013, 06:03 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John911 View Post
MAC:

Don't forget about that yellow or pink disaster that closed down Mario's restaurant and eventually became the site of the UTSA downtown campus.... I think it opened around 1985 and was gone by 1995.
The pink elephant opened in 85 and closed by 87, river center opened in either 88 or 89.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 4,527 times
Default Joint Effort and US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Well alright at the risk of making Mud prove me wrong I will tell it the way I remember it. It was called "Granny's Tea House". They specialized in those crazy Granny Glasses that Roger Mcguinn of the "Byrd's" had. They also had combs painted psychedilic. It "evolved" into the "Joint Effort". "US" was on main near SAC. They had a big black light room and sold wheat straw papers. "Seventh House" was down Hildebrand and became "Truckers General Store"-now it is "Cracker Box Palace"if it is still in business. There were a lot of hip clothing stores. "The Pants Station" sold bell bottom jeans and is now "The Sandwhich Garden". There was also "Galagaskin" and the "New American Cinema." There was also " The Great Gatsby's sandwhich shop". Other Head shop's I remember were "Mr. Naturals" on St. Mary's and the" Psychedellic Cellar " down town across from the Alamo and Bongo Joe.
Do you remember the poster in the window of Joint Effort (just south of the Witte if I remember it right). I also have a poster from the opening night of US that was on Main Street. It's a black light poster and is modeled loosely on Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced Album cover.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:57 PM

626 posts, read 1,240,179 times
Quote:
MAC:

..hmmm...Fiesta Mall?
I once went in there (84-85-86?) not knowing it was half abandoned by then...stores closed, lights out...litter all over the place. I remember there was work done on the hwy (90?, 35?, 10?) right above or next to it...maybe that added to its downfall.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:18 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,723 times
Gone but not sure about this !
As a kid in the 50s...I remember my Dad parking in front of
Mi Tierra restaurant. Not where the parking lot is right now but
on the other side. I believe it was a street back then & the place was real
small & not as it is today. Also the farmers market was like an open space
with mostly trucks selling their vegetables. There was also a store called
La Feria on Commerce St. Across the street on the corner was a movie
theater that show mainly movies in spanish. I remember the Alameda on
Houston St. but this other "teatro" , I can't remember the name.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:19 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post

Across the street on the corner was a movie
theater that show mainly movies in spanish.
I remember the Alameda on
the Nacional

Old 07-28-2013, 04:11 PM

Default LaFeria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
Gone but not sure about this !
As a kid in the 50s...I remember my Dad parking in front of
Mi Tierra restaurant. Not where the parking lot is right now but
on the other side. I believe it was a street back then & the place was real
small & not as it is today. Also the farmers market was like an open space
with mostly trucks selling their vegetables. There was also a store called
La Feria on Commerce St. Across the street on the corner was a movie
theater that show mainly movies in spanish. I remember the Alameda on
There were several LaFeria's in San Antonio. I seem to remember them being like Marshalls or Ross Dress for Less. I am not sure about the location. I do remember Centenno's on the other side of I35 not too far from the Robert B. Green Hospital. It may have been on Commerce street.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
MAC:

Wonderland started as a Handy Andy which is where the Hobby Lobby is now. I am not sure, but I think it may have been one of the first air conditioned stores in San Antonio.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times
First air conditioned building in SA was the Smith Young Tower, or Transit Tower, or as it's called today, the Tower Life Building. Sears took up the bottom 6 levels of the building making it the first air conditioned store. The year was 1927. Most stores were air conditioned back in the 50's when I was a kid. Air conditioning at home was mostly window units back then. Most did a poor job at cooling due usually to slow fan speed. It was common to stand in front of one to cool off. Just like most heat in the houses back then was open flame gas heaters. To get warm you stood in front of it and toasted yer buns. Sorry, but that hot feeling on the backside was GREAT!. I have a skin graft on my right hand from a hot open flame heater that I fell against and my hand stuck to it. When they pulled my hand off of it, it left a lot of meat on the stove. Recovery, which was near 100%, was painful and lengthy. I wasn't old enough to go to school yet but old enough to remember it well. But back to A/C stores, my mom always planned going to grocery in the mid afternoon in the summer for the air conditioning. It was a good escape from the heat. But my memory of the heat says we've gotten hotter in the last 60 years. We had temps in the low to mid 90's in August but a temp of 100F or better wasn't common. Mid to late August saw rain ever afternoon as the showers came in off of the coast. Made for some great sleeping at night as we had an attic fan that would draw the cool air off of the moist ground into the house.

Yes, there was parking in front of Mi Tierras. I don't remember the name of the street but I'm sure I have it on one of my digital maps. I also miss the farmers market downtown. You could buy fresh picked produce that was absolutely the best mother nature had to offer. Then it seemed like there were folks also selling the Mexican junk and trinkets. Kinda went downhill from there. The current shops are just tourist traps now. Just what we need, another place for the tourist to get liquored up at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio