Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 02:30 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
where were you working with the exotics??

Out towards Boerne ...Scenic Loop..Toutant Beauregard. Some of the present day Buckhorn Saloon family.

Right here.... sheesh!..... has Boerne Stage Road changed!

http://goo.gl/maps/PFdf3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 03:12 PM

216 posts, read 399,180 times
I was working for a contractor as an electrician at the zoo in 70 or 71. We had a couple weeks work around the building where they prepared the meals for the animals, amazing the amount of food it took every day to keep those animals happy and healthy. On the outside of the building there were several animals caged among them was a large spider monkey named Suzy. She was always trying to grab at me if I was too close to the cage bars. She especially wanted my straw cowboy hat. One day she did manage to grab it but luckily she was unable to pull it into the cage so I got it back. Another day we were running conduit above the cages, we had put plywood over the mesh so we could walk over the top and to keep any tools or material from falling into the cages. I was standing over Suzy's cage drilling a hole through the rock wall when suddenly I felt a hand going up my pants leg. That darn monkey had reach up through the grill around the plywood and put her hand up my leg. I didn't want to jerk my leg too fast afraid I might hurt her, she grabbed a hand full of hair and pulled it out, ouch
Several months later I took my girl friend, soon to be wife to the zoo. "Come over here, I want you to meet Suzy" I called to her, well I was amazed Suzy seemed to remember me, actually reaching through the bars to me and chattering, but when she saw my girlfriend she had a fit, screaming and throwing a fit so we left before she started throwing anything else. I didn't know I could make a monkey jealous.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:25 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
I've done work in the old Eagle train station bldg. I've been in the zoo director's home back in the 70's or 80's. I've done work in the Animal Control facility including the euthanasia house on the hill.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:36 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctsat View Post
I was working for a contractor as an electrician at the zoo in 70 or 71. We had a couple weeks work around the building where they prepared the meals for the animals, amazing the amount of food it took every day to keep those animals happy and healthy. On the outside of the building there were several animals caged among them was a large spider monkey named Suzy. She was always trying to grab at me if I was too close to the cage bars. She especially wanted my straw cowboy hat. One day she did manage to grab it but luckily she was unable to pull it into the cage so I got it back. Another day we were running conduit above the cages, we had put plywood over the mesh so we could walk over the top and to keep any tools or material from falling into the cages. I was standing over Suzy's cage drilling a hole through the rock wall when suddenly I felt a hand going up my pants leg. That darn monkey had reach up through the grill around the plywood and put her hand up my leg. I didn't want to jerk my leg too fast afraid I might hurt her, she grabbed a hand full of hair and pulled it out, ouch
Several months later I took my girl friend, soon to be wife to the zoo. "Come over here, I want you to meet Suzy" I called to her, well I was amazed Suzy seemed to remember me, actually reaching through the bars to me and chattering, but when she saw my girlfriend she had a fit, screaming and throwing a fit so we left before she started throwing anything else. I didn't know I could make a monkey jealous.
that's a great story.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:05 PM

235 posts, read 424,493 times
FOOD CITY! i used to deliver beer there in the early 70's...six-pack throw-aways were made of glass...food city would put them on sale somewhere between 79-99 cents a six pack....they couldn't keep beer in the store! especially during the summer months.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:20 PM

i remember what they called a dance/***** bar out hwy 90 west, just past loop 410, about where hunt lane is now....guy that owned it made a ton of money with dancing girls and selling beer...then the county came along and announced 'eminent domain", and he was gone and the place was bull-dozed...anyone else remember this place?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:24 PM

my granny worked at the toy store on cincinatti & bandera...i believe it was called Kiddie City...she always had a toy for me when i stopped by the store with my mom...a whamo rubber-band-powered plane...a hula hoop, a race car...i could browse that store for hours..

Old 08-15-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
just another reminder..

see ya there.................
i spoke with one of the owners of cool crest, phillip andry. he allowed me to take photos as the work at cool crest continued every week. the photos i post are of the courses when they were completed. enjoy!Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-cool-crest7-2013.jpg

Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-cool-crest16-2013.jpg

Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-cool-crest25-2013.jpg

Old 08-16-2013, 05:22 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times
Default Don't remember dance\****bar daryl,

I resided out in the area back then, when there was nothing out there but brush and cactus,west-north-west s.a., but never went to that one back in the seventies.
Never even knew or even heard about that tavern. Completely missed it.

I can however recall and have not forgotten Lone Star Beer @ $1.00 for six. Plus sales tax, four cents. What kind of beer was 79 cents a six pack?
I remember when you needed a church key to open one , even , do you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylpearson View Post
i remember what they called a dance/***** bar out hwy 90 west, just past loop 410, about where hunt lane is now....guy that owned it made a ton of money with dancing girls and selling beer...then the county came along and announced 'eminent domain", and he was gone and the place was bull-dozed...anyone else remember this place?

Old 08-16-2013, 09:16 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,935,079 times
Yeah Darrell, I remember the building at 90 and Hunt but I never went in the place. Couldn't tell you the name of it. It sat in front of the hot tub place and seems like the building was painted red. I remember that it looked like one of those places that they should check you for a gun as you walk in and if you don't have one, give you one. I don't remember ever seeing many cars there either. Dude had to be charging a ton for a beer for him to be making money. There was the place on San Pedro out by Nagels and behind Alamo Windshield that had totally nude dancers at one time. We went out there for the novelty of it. After we paid the high price of admission, the cost of a Near Beer was over 5 bucks a small bottle, the novelty wore off pretty quick. There was no alcohol allowed which is how they got around the city ordinance. Only went the one time.

I go back to when beer bottles were returnable and you had to have a church key to open one. Couple of times a year we'd go out on the hiways and pick up beer bottles for the nickel it was worth. Got a few bucks that way but that was when a dollar bought something besides paying the tax. That was when you could buy a gallon of gas for 13 cents, cigarettes were 29 cents a pack, a coke was a nickel and a vanilla phosphate or a cherry coke at Summers Drug store was a dime. That's back when the dollar actually was money and bought something, before the morons in DC discovered inflation is a fabulous way to get more tax money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio