Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:29 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,230,918 times

Advertisements

The only Dairy Queen I remember on Austin Highway was in Alamo Heights, Between Kampmann Ave. and Routt St. Dan Cook's Time Out Inn was further down, across from the now partially demolished Bentwood Apartments.

Both the Dairy Queen and Time Out Inn buildings were razed some years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 08:20 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Mud you are awesome, where were dairy queen and dan cook's located?

I just remembered Shakey's was on Austin Highway also.

Will, ged is exactly right.
Dan Cook's place was there coming down the hill as you approached Bun n Barrel.

The DQ was on the corner of Routt.
I lived there on Routt for a short while, half block behind the DQ.
Serious flooding along in there way back then.
One night a few of us were sitting in the DQ eatin a burger and a malt,
when the kitchen door came flyin open.
The cook was wielding a giant meat cleaver.
That place was so small and the cook was moving so fast,
he was almost stepping on the rat's tail as he ran him into a corner
and whacked it in half. I almost didn't wanna finish my Hunger Buster.

Wasn't Shakey's up near the top of the hill close to Jim's??

I almost forgot about the Kemosabe Lounge and the Prelude Lounge.

mud

Old 03-28-2009, 09:07 PM

181 posts, read 642,709 times
Awesome, glad to see this thread continuing! Let's just make sure the old one gets preserved, yes? I think I mentioned it somewhere in the old thread, but I was thinking about Blanca's Cafe in Kirby by the Dairy Queen. I was in SA a few weeks ago and passed it, looks like the place added a new wing. It was always pretty small, but we used to go there after my brother's football games in the early 80's. It had that creepy automatic clown, also!

Old 03-29-2009, 01:12 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,363,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
Wasn't Shakey's up near the top of the hill close to Jim's??

Shakey's Pizza was up on the hill...the building is still there. It's not used commercially for the public but there is some kind of business there. It's directly across from the new Walmart.

Jim's Frontier drive in was my favorite place along there. Then Mickey D's went in next door...about the same location it is right now.

And before Anna's Linens/Goodwill/Chinese Buffet, was the HEB...but prior to that was a Steak and Ale! gosh...that was in the 70's. And I remember parts of the TeePee were still standing for a long time. I'm not sure when the last tee pee standing came down.....most likely when I wasn't living in SA at the time.

If I remember correctly, the Seven Oaks Resort was originally a Sheraton Inn Hotel....but that was in the late 60's. It was about the nicest larger hotel close to Randolph AFB at the time.....apart from the Howard Johnson on I-35 at Randolph BLVD....and up the highway a bit was a large Ramada in...red/orange brick with big white columns and a colonial roof.

Not much along that stretch at all....exept Selma City Hall...when it was actually a CITY HALL....not a HOOTERS! LOL!

Old 03-29-2009, 03:04 PM

78 posts, read 407,451 times
Default Hill Country ---> Hill City?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Most people don't know this but if you can find an old scary movie entitled "Race with the Devil" starring M*A*S*H TV star Loretta Swit and also starring Peter Fonda, you can see just how rural Potranco and that area used to be.
That movie has been on TV alot recently. I finally saw it and the look of area certainly brought back memories since I grew up in that side of town. Back when I was a kid my family would take us all out to Medina Lake and we would drive pass these old gas stations out in the countryside. I remember that gas station on Culebra Road w/the old gas pumps. It was one of the few for miles at one time. Sad to hear it got torn down. Neat little place it was.

Before Marbach Rd. was extended to 1604 my dad would drive down it barely a mile or so outside of Loop 410 and would gather mesquite wood in the fields for BBQ. That land was later transformed into the Heritage Park neighborhood.

So much of that side of town, and San Antonio in general, has changed and continues to change. Everytime I go back to visit I'm astonished at how much the city has grown.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:24 AM

237 posts, read 851,087 times
940's remark "Back when I was a kid my family would take us all out to Medina Lake and ... " really sparked some great old memories since we too spent many happy times at Medina Lake. I've not been there in nearly 30 years and guess that it's just as overdeveloped and crowded as everywhere else is these days but hopefully it still has some of its old character and beauty. I remember it in good years when we ran long trot lines across nice deep coves and other years when you could almost walk across the lake bed there was so little water. Happy times were those spent gazing at a gazillion stars in the blackest night-sky in my memory or drift fishing by moonlight not caring if we caught much or not as long as the cooler had a few Lone Stars in it. Medina lake was a bit of summertime magic for us out of school kids and a cool place to spend those wonderfully hot vacation days later on too. The Medina River between the lake and Bandera was also a mighty fine place to be once upon a time. Wish I could remember the name of that old fishing camp on the north end of the lake but it's been too long.

Last edited by BudB; 04-02-2009 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: it reads better now

Old 04-02-2009, 09:14 AM

472 posts, read 1,792,393 times
Theres a place on New Laredo Hwy called the SkaBar. The sign is still there but its now a rental party hall for small events. Im just wondering if anyone went there when it was the Ska Bar and did they actually play Ska music there?

You can see a photo of the sign in this collage. Its right next to the San Antonio Zoo sign at the bottom left hand corner above the Cool Crest Miniature Golf sign.

http://www.texasmontage.com/prints/enlarged.cfm?prdctImage_ID=13&prdctImage_ImgTypeID =2 (broken link)

Old 04-02-2009, 10:45 AM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,153,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Well Congrats to 940 for starting this treasure trove of memories!!!
I'm just glad it's still going strong...now in Phase II...

Old 04-02-2009, 06:34 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,193,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
940's remark "Back when I was a kid my family would take us all out to Medina Lake and ... " really sparked some great old memories since we too spent many happy times at Medina Lake. I've not been there in nearly 30 years and guess that it's just as overdeveloped and crowded as everywhere else is these days but hopefully it still has some of its old character and beauty. I remember it in good years when we ran long trot lines across nice deep coves and other years when you could almost walk across the lake bed there was so little water. Happy times were those spent gazing at a gazillion stars in the blackest night-sky in my memory or drift fishing by moonlight not caring if we caught much or not as long as the cooler had a few Lone Stars in it. Medina lake was a bit of summertime magic for us out of school kids and a cool place to spend those wonderfully hot vacation days later on too. The Medina River between the lake and Bandera was also a mighty fine place to be once upon a time. Wish I could remember the name of that old fishing camp on the north end of the lake but it's been too long.
I know a gentleman who scuba dives frequently and is a member of the local search and recovery scuba team. He told me that he has been diving at the base of the dam at Medina Lake and it's true that there are some monster catfish in there....Guess that settles that controversy.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:48 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post

Bud, we spent a lot of time at Medina Lake too.
Back in the 1950s, my grandfather took us to that fishing camp on a regular basis.
Was it called Pop's Place?? I've been trying to remember the name for years.
My GF is gone, grandma too, RIP, so I can't ask them.

Running the trotlines my GF always had a spare shear pin in the tackle box.

At the camp, age 8-10 or so, that's when I learned not to dive in at night
without first checking if anything is hiding just below the surface. Ouch.

Also saw my first Water Moccasin / Cotton Mouth there.
I came blasting out of the water dancing up a little hill
and there it was, mouth wide open. that was in the 50s.

Second Water mocsin I saw was about 15 years ago.
In the Medina River, at a camp,
but South of SATx, off 35S.
I was swimming, and the mocsin was sunning on a dead log.
Its head was about the size of my fist.
I backstroked so fast it's amazing there was any water left in the "river".
Later I found out you're not supposed to move quickly around the mocsins.
scru that.

When I was a Boy Scout, the Bicycling Merit Badge required a 50 mile ride.
My brother and I pedaled to Medina Lake and halfway back for the fifty.
Single speed cycle.... change speeds?? yeah.. stand up and pedal harder.
My dad thought he would catch us on the way up in his Ranchero.
We were part way back when he got there.
I don't think that route would be a safe one for an 10-11 year old nowadaze.

mud

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio