Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:51 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
Moderator cut: see comment

It's an old theme. Every single person on here who is favorable about San Antonio also voices critical perspectives on some aspect of life San Antonio. (That's definitely true of me.) People only get upset with demeaning, ignorant, over-generalizing statements that are completely one-sided (and hence false, which is why we respond.)

Moderator cut: see comment I like San Antonio quite a bit. (I like Austin, too.) I grew up in Chicago; I've lived for extended periods in Minneapolis and Boston; I've spent significant time in New York, the Bay Area, Europe, and South America; I have a Ph.D; and I like San Antonio--a lot. There are many other folks on this board who are like me. So please--criticize if you want, but don't insult, don't exaggerate, and don't present "opinions" as "facts." (You claim not to do this, but a simple reading of your posts proves otherwise.)

I only respond (repeatedly) to posts like this because I realize how much of a negative impact they would've had on me were they the only things I read about SA before moving here. And honestly, I want people who are "like me" to know that SA can be a great and fulfilling place to be--so that they move here!!! (Always good to have more nice, interesting, and friendly folks around!)

Moderator cut: see comment

What she said. I could have written the same post, less eloquently.

I chime in on all the negativity for the same reason. Posts say "it sucks here. it's boring. No culture." Broad based generalizations that offer little substance. I'm glad I didn't read such posts before coming but rather discovered San Antonio for myself.

I have a similar background to Juneof48, and have drawn the same conclusions: Having experienced many places around the world, San Antonio is one of many wonderful places to be. The accusation that anyone who likes San Antonio must be ignorant of the world is blatantly false.

It's not perfect, but it has its positives.

Last edited by Bo; 05-21-2009 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: updated quote to match original

Old 05-21-2009, 08:55 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Seeing as how she quoted a different posters post when she made those comments, why do you take it as if she's talking about you? Basically, she made those comments to another poster and you responded as if she made them to you... hmmm...

...and he was the one preaching about insecurities...

"""PS - Lemonfresh (inappropriate name) - I don't know you, so how could you possibly miss me? And why would I care? When people get SO defensive about something, there is usually insecurity involved, regarding the issue."""

Old 05-21-2009, 09:07 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,329 times
Wait, why is my handle inappropriate?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 AM

431 posts, read 1,204,339 times
So San Antonio isn't very progressive, eh?

I would like to do my part by having my user name officially changed to h3im3r5vvt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XVS View Post
made all the easier by the fact that there's little foot or car traffic in my neighborhood. Where's the vibrancy? Why don't you see people out and about? Why is this place so vapidly lifeless? It just doesn't have the feel of a modern, current 21st century city, and this becomes especially obvious as soon as one begins to travel to other places.
So, second, I will go door to door and ask each neighbor to both walk *and* drive around the neighborhood more, just so I can see movement. Because I guess people working in the yard or conversing with other neighbors on their porches isn't progressive enough.

Also, name 5 cities with a downtown/city center more active and vibrant than San Antonio. And try to avoid the usual suspects, such as NYC, Chicago, SF, and Miami. Because we GET IT. We don't compare to those cities. Seriously though...make a list, I'm curious what you would submit. (Hint: don't say Houston, its a progressive metropolitan city that SHUTS DOWN on Fridays around 5pm).

Old 05-21-2009, 09:26 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Wait, why is my handle inappropriate?
Just to clarify...that wasn't me saying that...it was a quote from another poster....on page 5. Sorry...

Old 05-21-2009, 09:36 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,329 times
Yeah I saw him/her post that yesterday but I forgot to ask, your post quoting it reminded me of the comment and gave me an opportunity to ask why my username is inappropriate.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:18 PM

175 posts, read 303,941 times
I guess I really don't understand why people get so worked up over opinions that differ from their own on this forum. Seriously, it just demonstrates my point that this place has some serious inferiority complex issues, and the residents are quite an insecure lot. Because when it's all said and done, who cares what others think of the city? If you love it, and you are happy here, why do you spend so much energy trying to change the minds of people who clearly do not like it?

Again, if someone is basing comments expressed on an online message board on the quality of life in a place, then they probably weren't serious about moving here in the first place. But, don't think your little resistive diatribes are going to stop me from giving my impressions of this city.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:54 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
I guess I really don't understand why people get so worked up over opinions that differ from their own on this forum. Seriously, it just demonstrates my point that this place has some serious inferiority complex issues, and the residents are quite an insecure lot. Because when it's all said and done, who cares what others think of the city? If you love it, and you are happy here, why do you spend so much energy trying to change the minds of people who clearly do not like it?
FWIW - I have no desire to change your opinion or any of the other naysayers. I do have a desire to offer a counter argument for any who may be reading these "san antonio sucks" posts by giving my perspective, just as you are entitled to continue writing the 'san antonio sucks' posts.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:52 AM

452 posts, read 1,028,162 times
Quote:

Again, if someone is basing comments expressed on an online message board on the quality of life in a place, then they probably weren't serious about moving here in the first place. But, don't think your little resistive diatribes are going to stop me from giving my impressions of this city.
Quite frankly, no one really gives a rat's rump what your opinion of SA (or any other place) is. It's okay to have an opinion, but the constant BASHING is a bit wearing on the nerves. You've gone past expressing opinion and have gone to trashing, and that's the reason for our annoyance. SA isn't for everyone and those who come here from somewhere else should've done their research BEFORE choosing to live here. You would've gotten SA's "vibe" (or, in your opinion, the lack thereof) and perhaps made a wiser decision. SA is not perfect, but no place is. You (and others who parrot your comments) are upset because SA does not live up to your standards, but you CHOSE to live here and continue to do so. I'm imagining that if you CHOSE to live here, you can CHOOSE to move elsewhere. You're bashing is merely a reflection of your bad decision to move here. That is not SA's fault, it's yours. Get over it.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:52 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
i love ghetto clubs and bars.......they got the cheapest priced beer
With a free side of "lead poisoning".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio