Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:50 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,591 times

Advertisements

I would never buy a house in a box suburban area where it's supposedly 'impractical' to walk to shops, restaurants, entertainment, and other amenities. Every suburban neighborhood is different, however I find that most don't even have a decent wide open park to hang out in. In many new urbanist developments, there is decent park space set aside for residents to relax in.

I would, however buy a house in a new urbanist development in the suburbs as long as it's pedestrian friendly and within walking distance of shops, restaurants, entertainment, and other amenities.

Even though this neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks, it's within walking distance of all the points I've listed and also very aesthetically pleasing with the Middle Colonies new urbanism architecture. (Yes, this neighborhood was built a few years ago)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 08:17 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Just curious what neighborhood is that? Or if you don't want to reveal that...what loop are you referring to?
Sorry, old joke. I try to stay INSIDE 410 or as my wife accuses me of staying inside the bubble. Having two grandchildren in Boerne certainly pokes a hole in that bubble.

I live in Terrell Hills.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
In our historic neighborhood there are some new houses which are very modern looking. Not modern as in "suburban KB home" but modern as in artist-designed funky modern. Oddly enough, they blend in very well and work with all the 1880s-1900s houses.
That is probably because they were designed by San Antonio architects who have a familiarity of the neighborhood. A lot of people think that a house has to look "old" to fit in, but that isn't the case - it's about following the clues (i.e. the inherent design standards) given by the existing homes. Whether it be front porches, building proportion, roof slope, or garage location; a modern style can still be an appropriate solution when it follows the "pattern language" of the neighborhood.

Back to the original topic, I would never buy a house where the big selling point is the amount of square footage you get for the lowest dollar. In other words, I would rather pay $250,000 for a 1500 sf house with better design and quality (whether it be new or 100 yrs old) than $150,000 for a 2500 sf home.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:18 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
That is probably because they were designed by San Antonio architects who have a familiarity of the neighborhood. A lot of people think that a house has to look "old" to fit in, but that isn't the case - it's about following the clues (i.e. the inherent design standards) given by the existing homes. Whether it be front porches, building proportion, roof slope, or garage location; a modern style can still be an appropriate solution when it follows the "pattern language" of the neighborhood.
Yup. At least two of the houses were designed by someone who already lives in the neighborhood.

Another house I'd never buy: one where the first thing you notice is the garage.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:09 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
In our historic neighborhood there are some new houses which are very modern looking. Not modern as in "suburban KB home" but modern as in artist-designed funky modern. Oddly enough, they blend in very well and work with all the 1880s-1900s houses.
I'm glad you made the distinction between "new and "modern". "Modern" is the correct term and doesn't mean new at all. It's minimalist...inspired by the Bauhaus movement. "Contemporary" has now become associated with that 70's and 80's look that someone mentioned above....the use of Cedar planking on a diagonal, pitched roof lines mixed with stucco or brick.

New is just new...no matter whether it's "Modern" or "Mediterranean". A lot of these terms are used interchangeably which is ok for Real Estate purposes. Although many Realtors completely understand a "mid century modern" type of architecture. Modern/Contemporary as in not a traditional or conventional "look".

I'd love to live in a second story flat above my own business....with a walk out terrace or even a split level in the back for a yard. We actually have our eye on just that kind of place.

Oopsie.....I wouldn't buy a condo with an hoa. Too close quarters where everyone is in your business.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:31 PM

77 posts, read 263,599 times
Moderator cut: off-topic

i live in a 60 year old house in front of St.Mary university and the people are great! All the houses is small and simple.

Last edited by Bo; 05-09-2009 at 08:53 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 05:27 PM

707 posts, read 1,846,064 times
I'd never live in a home without a lot of light (windows) or one with really low ceilings. I'd live in an older home if it was very open and light. I'd prefer that over a new neighborhood with small yards and no trees.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:06 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
I'd never live in a home without a lot of light (windows) or one with really low ceilings. I'd live in an older home if it was very open and light. I'd prefer that over a new neighborhood with small yards and no trees.
It's funny as I never had thought of the ceilings before I moved into a home with 12 ft ceilings throughout. Now I feel claustrophobic in anything less than 10ft.

The only problem is changing the dang lightbulbs. Fortunately they don't go out too often

Old 05-09-2009, 08:35 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,746,446 times
Quote:
It's funny as I never had thought of the ceilings before I moved into a home with 12 ft ceilings throughout. Now I feel claustrophobic in anything less than 10ft.

The only problem is changing the dang lightbulbs. Fortunately they don't go out too often
Funny you say that. The one upgrade I regret not getting was the 10' plate. Looking back and being in the homes that did get that 10' ceiling - I really wish I had done that when we built. Nine feet is fine...but I love the feel of the homes in my neighborhood that have the optional 10' ceilings. 12' must be wonderful!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Some posts referencing builders have been removed as off-topic. The OP mentioned nothing about builders, and disparaging them is considered a consumer complaint. Rather than break that rule or give the thread two heads, let's just not go there, since it's not part of the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio