Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:14 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,751,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Another house I'd never buy: one where the first thing you notice is the garage.
This is hard in today's communities with narrow lots. I have seen some communities that offer 30' wide homes on 40' lots...the garage is all you see when you drive up - not my cup of tea. Even a 40' wide home (probably the most common in newer communities) is hard - you end up with over 50% garage on the face. The trick is finding a builder that offers larger lots. This is difficult in new construction - which is why many people prefer older homes when lots were bigger (the old "they don't make them like they used to" mantra).

So much can be done with garages if the architecture is appealing. Again - harder to find with newer construction - but not impossible. Detached garages behind the house or side entry garages on the front can do much to hide the garage impact as you drive up. You will have to search high and low to find this with a new home - but they are out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:27 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,567,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
This is hard in today's communities with narrow lots. I have seen some communities that offer 30' wide homes on 40' lots...the garage is all you see when you drive up - not my cup of tea. Even a 40' wide home (probably the most common in newer communities) is hard - you end up with over 50% garage on the face. The trick is finding a builder that offers larger lots. This is difficult in new construction - which is why many people prefer older homes when lots were bigger (the old "they don't make them like they used to" mantra).

So much can be done with garages if the architecture is appealing. Again - harder to find with newer construction - but not impossible. Detached garages behind the house or side entry garages on the front can do much to hide the garage impact as you drive up. You will have to search high and low to find this with a new home - but they are out there.
Hence my preference for an older home (as in the one I bought which is ~120 yrs old and has a coach house in the rear) or a custom designed home if new, and one of the many reasons I'm less than fond of the typical newer subdivisions

Old 05-09-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Hence my preference for an older home (as in the one I bought which is ~120 yrs old and has a coach house in the rear) or a custom designed home if new, and one of the many reasons I'm less than fond of the typical newer subdivisions
Thankfully my newer subdivision is not typical. There are homes in my neighborhood with detached garages in the rear. It does add a very nice look in the community. I think there are just a dozen or so of these houses out of the 66 built so far - but it breaks things up. Some have a nice porte cochere with a gate across the drive which gives these homes a nice formal and garage-less curb appeal.

Here is an aerial shot taken from about two years ago that gives you an idea of the detached garages and how they set back from the houses: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...cl=1&encType=1

The only thing I don't like about the detached garage (which is very common in Houston where my wife is from) is that I hate walking out in the rain to go to the garage. So...I sacrifice form over function.

To each his own though.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:44 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,624,434 times
It never rains here, so a detached garage isn't that big of a deal.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
It never rains here, so a detached garage isn't that big of a deal.
LOL. That may be true for the past 18 months...but having been here since 1994 I can remember many years where it seemed to rain all the time. I went through several summers where I rarely watered my yard it was so wet. So - to me it is a big deal. Plus - where would the big freezer go with the ice cream supply...don't want to go out at night when the urge hits and the freezer in the kitchen is fresh out!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:05 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,624,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
LOL. That may be true for the past 18 months...but having been here since 1994 I can remember many years where it seemed to rain all the time. I went through several summers where I rarely watered my yard it was so wet. So - to me it is a big deal. Plus - where would the big freezer go with the ice cream supply...don't want to go out at night when the urge hits and the freezer in the kitchen is fresh out!
Ok, I hear you on the freezer. We had the drinks fridge in the garage when I shared a house with my sis, and you're right - having to actually go outdoors to fetch beer every night would stink!

I've lived here since '97 and I do remember rain...vaguely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio