Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 01:12 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times

Advertisements

I know we've had numerous restaurant threads, but we ate at el Chaparral in Helotes last night and although we've been there a ton of times before, I just had to share a few observations with my friends on CD-SA!

The place was packed last night, and parking was even full in the overflow lots. I have never seen it this crowded before and was getting worried, so I dropped the family off at the door and drove off to find a spot. I figured I had all the time in the world, as by the number of cars there it would probably be quite a wait. It took me about five minutes to park and get inside, and when I got there my wife and boys had already been seated and our drink orders taken (luckily, the wife knew I wanted sweet tea).

Our waitress was back with our drink order within a few minutes of my sitting down. I would figured her to be high school age, the same with most of the wait staff that I saw. After handing out our drinks, she asked if we were ready to order which we were. She got everything down and left, and within 10-15 minutes we had our meals.

As I finished, I was observing the operation of the restaurant. Almost every table was occupied, and there was an abundance of wait staff hustling all over the place. What I didn't see was a manager or anyone who appeared to be directing the staff, they all seemed to be moving on their own accord. I kept track of groups at nearby tables who had different wait staff, and they all seem to be taken care of in the same manner as we were. Honestly, it was quite impressive; I remarked to my wife that they must pay well as seeing so many kids this age working so hard was amazing! I was expecting service to be slower due to the crowd, but we had the same outstanding experience that we always get when we eat there.

I truly cannot think of any other restaurant that we eat at that has an unblemished record. I can't name names, but even some of my very favorite places to eat have had "off" nights (slow service, food's not right, etc). Not el Chaparral, that place seems to get it right every time we eat there!

And the food is great, for what it's worth. We always take visitors there because it is so nicely decorated and much like the service, the food has always been excellent. I like Tex-Mex, but don't eat it that often; but when we do there is usually only one place we will consider that being el Chaparral.

On a side note, we did eat at the el Chaparral in Boerne once and although it was good, I don't remember it being as great of an experience as the Helotes location. I don't know if that is because of the difference in venue or what, but it just wasn't quite the same. Don't get me wrong, if we were in Boerne and hungry for Tex-Mex, we'd definitely eat there again; but for some reason the "magic" happens more for us at the Helotes location.

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 01:18 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
I'll have to stop there one day. I've heard good and bad (on here). I just can't seem to focus on any other restaurants in Helotes besides Bobby J's.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:21 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,587 times
The one is Helotes is a LOT better than the one in Boerne (Food and service wise)

Old 05-30-2009, 02:17 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Is it outside 1604? I am not sure if Helotes runs on both sides of 1604 or not.
I've been to Perico's (inside 1604) once and it was pretty good food and very busy.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:19 PM

Helotes is outside 1604......and so is El Chapparal. I think anything inside 1604 on Bandera is SA until you get to Leon Valley.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:35 PM

165 posts, read 463,849 times
Mmmm we love el Chaparral and have also never had a bad experience. Granted, we've only lived in the area about 6 months and have eaten there... probably 5 times. Delish, everytime.

We actually thought about going there last night but knew that it would be crazy busy...good to know they handle the crowd well. Maybe I will think twice about staying away when I know it will be packed.

We ended up at Bandera Cafe last night (I think its pretty newly opened, also outside 1604). We were not impressed at all and probably won't be back. Nothing was out and out terrible, but everything was just... blah.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:37 PM

165 posts, read 463,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I'll have to stop there one day. I've heard good and bad (on here). I just can't seem to focus on any other restaurants in Helotes besides Bobby J's.
I wonder if we've ever seen each other there? During tball season, we were going once a week after the game. Bobby J's is my favorite burger!!

Old 05-30-2009, 02:56 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
The El Chaparral in Helotes is the original one, the owner, Charlie and his family, wife, daughter and twin sons, worked that one, until 2004, when the Boerne one was opened. Charlie & his wife, Mary, bought the old "Rene & Irene" mexican restaraunt in 1972, it became El Chaparral. Charlie came from managing Pancho's mexican buffet, and his wife was the daughter of the owner of Mario's. The Garcia's, Charlie & Mary, ran the restaraunt, while also Charlie worked at Mario's to keep a steady income because they had sold their house to buy the restaraunt, and lived in a small apartment in the back with the 3 small children at the time. Jessica the daughter was killed in 1996 by an alzheimer's afflicted driver, and Carlos and Gabriel went on to become soccer stars. After college the twins came back took over the original restaraunt, opened the patio in honor of their sister, and expanded the restaraunt to Boerne, and the one at 2838 N. Loop 1604.
The forgiveness of their sister's nature was also that to this day the restaraunt donates 50 meals to the Alzheimers foundation thru meals on wheels, and amounts to the foundation to find a cure for the affliction.
The family stands behind it's original restaraunt very strongly, this I know, being a personal friend of theirs, the other two are run by other people, under their advisement, but not direct supervision as the one in Helotes is. I'll pass along the kind words, and the recommendations.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:43 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Yeah, choosing between el Chaparral and Bobby J's is tough; but luckily both are really close to where we live. My wife and I tried Bandera Cafe a few months ago after they first opened and were not impressed either.

Oddly enough, the first time we lived here (1999-2002), we never tried el Chaparral because every time we drove by there the place was packed. It wasn't until we returned from Belgium in 2005 did we go there, and now it is one of our favorites. As I said, we always take out-of-town guests there, to include my German uncle and aunt when they visited last year, because we know it will be great.

Cheers! M2

Old 05-30-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesmic View Post
I wonder if we've ever seen each other there? During tball season, we were going once a week after the game. Bobby J's is my favorite burger!!
hahaha! Maybe! Although to be honest, I have been so busy lately that I haven't gone out that way much--and Alamo Ranch has me spoiled now for shopping.

I gauge a good Mexican restaurant by their carne guisada--anyone have a review of that? Next in line is the fajita meat--beef or chicken, I'm not choosey....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio