Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 06:05 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times

Advertisements

I have one job and a semi job. My 9-5 office job and then I freelance as a blogger (I won't put out the link because that'd probably be advertising...DM me if you want it). I do it because with all the student loans adding up (had to go to a private school!) and then choosing a low paying but highly rewarding career it just was not possible to make it on one income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 06:20 PM

299 posts, read 608,108 times
low paying but highly rewarding? Maybe I'm wrong, but high paying = highly rewarding to me.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:38 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
On a somewhat related note, did you take full advantage of the educational opportunities when you were in the military? I took college classes when I was enlisted, used my VA benefits to finish my degree afterward, and the Air Force paid for my first masters degree. Education is a better investment, and one that will serve you for the rest of your life. Too many times I had troops who felt they needed to work extra jobs to get more money for the things they wanted instead of making themselves more competitive for better paying jobs.

Heck, my current company offered to pay for a second grad degree, I have to pay for the books and what not, but that still equates to over $10,000 in educational benefits and how could I turn that down?

What this does take is a more disciplined lifestyle when you are young...driving more economical cars, not buying expensive video game systems and big screen TVs, and forgoing other luxuries. Heck, I didn't even buy my first color TV until I was 26! It was a sacrifice, but one that is paying off nicely now. Educational benefits are one of the best, and most underutilized, military programs out there. I don't know why some people don't take advantage of them...

Old 05-31-2009, 06:45 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
Definitely take advantage of everything offered to you and make sure you attend TAP or ACAP (or both) well before you are due to get out. I took both of them and another class that was offered at Ft. Sam and I think it helped a lot. I now have a very good job and also go to school full time. The best part is the VA is taking care of the school 100%. I see my bill posted and I see it marked as paid, that's it. I just say thanks and move along. The new GI bill looks like it should be even better and I would recommend you take a good look. I hope to get at least two Masters by the time the gravy train runs out.
BTW, I worked full time military and a part-time pizza delivery job for a while and it was hard. Hell, working full time and going to school full time is hard.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:05 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin9150 View Post
When does secondary employment become too much?
When you're working your backside off and it's not paying off. RD had some excellent advice.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:42 PM

322 posts, read 774,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc11ty View Post
low paying but highly rewarding? Maybe I'm wrong, but high paying = highly rewarding to me.
Yeah, that sounds good but is rarely the reality

I took a 15%+ paycut to leave a job I hated. I was on a management track, I had 11 people working for me, I 'had a future with the company'... but I absolutely hated it. I love my new job and yes, the salary cut did hurt, and I'm back to being low-man on the totem poll, but I wouldn't go back for all the money in the world. My coworkers are great and my work is rewarding.

More money would always be good.. but you can't put a price on going home happy at the end of the day

Old 05-31-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Definitely take advantage of everything offered to you and make sure you attend TAP or ACAP (or both) well before you are due to get out. I took both of them and another class that was offered at Ft. Sam and I think it helped a lot. I now have a very good job and also go to school full time. The best part is the VA is taking care of the school 100%. I see my bill posted and I see it marked as paid, that's it. I just say thanks and move along. The new GI bill looks like it should be even better and I would recommend you take a good look. I hope to get at least two Masters by the time the gravy train runs out.
BTW, I worked full time military and a part-time pizza delivery job for a while and it was hard. Hell, working full time and going to school full time is hard.
Yeah, definitely good advice!

If you have ~20% disability you might be able to qualify for ~retraining classes, or something like that. I had an employee who was able to take advantage of some really great computer classes and all I had to do was compose a 'to whome it may concern' letter describing her job and why this training would be necessary for her to continue progressing in her career. She got something like $12,000 worth of free training. It was great. I'm happy she could take advantage of it!

Me, on the other hand, still needs into grad school so I can start drawing my GI Bill!

Old 05-31-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin9150 View Post
I am currently working two jobs, mainly to save up for when I seperate from the military. I am curious as to how many people have more than one job here in San Antonio. If so, is it due to wanting a certain lifestyle, catching up on bills, or just the desire to work? Has the slowing economy made anyone have to go get a part time job temporarily? When does secondary employment become too much?

I should have asked this earlier... do you have a bachelor's degree? Any certifications in your chosen field (HVAC, Electrical, Computer, Medical, etc)?

Two jobs are nice, but they're a temporarily solution, imho. The best second job you could ever get would be to get into a classroom and further your education. Two jobs will put cash in your pocket for the next 6, 12, 18 or however many months you can handle it but additional education or training will change that period from months into years of additional cash.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:00 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,293,158 times
Quote:
I know plenty of people who are paid extremely well and hate every moment of their workday (night).

Old 05-31-2009, 10:14 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Different strokes for different folks. It's not about the money for me. I'd rather be helping people then making money. I'll get where I want to be with this job.

But on a related note, I have no experience with the military...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: